AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz May 19 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC,CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams.We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council has finalised tax rates on 80-90% of goods and services. GST will replace _______ central taxes and ______ state taxes
1.5 central taxes and 7 state taxes
2.7 central taxes and 9 state taxes
3.5 central taxes and 9 state taxes
4.7 central taxes and 7 state taxes
5.6 central taxes and 8 state taxes
Answer – 2.7 central taxes and 9 state taxes
GST will replace 16 current levies (7 central taxes and 9 state taxes), consequentially creating India as one market with one tax rate. Arun Jaitley has specifically mentioned that there will be no inflationary impact post the roll out of GST.
- On May 14, 2017, Mahmoud Abbas arrived in India for a 4-day official visit. Mahmoud Abbas is the President of:
Answer – 1.Palestine
During the course of his visit, Mr. Abbas held extensive talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on key bilateral, regional and international issues including the Middle East peace process. On May 16, 2017, India and Palestine signed 5 MoUs.
- A semi-mechanised car park, the first of its kind in Jammu and Kashmir has been inaugurated in:
Answer – 3.Srinagar
It has been set up at a cost of Rs 27.15 crore and has a capacity to hold 288 vehicles. It is spread over an area of 1,545 square metres in the city’s busiest commercial place.
- A team of doctors in Pune has successfully performed country’s first ______ transplant on a 21-year-old woman
4.Bone marrow transplant
Answer – 5.Uterus Transplant
The woman, who suffers from congenital absence of uterus since birth, was fitted with her mother’s womb so that she can conceive normally. The minimally invasive retrieval of the womb carried out mainly through key hole surgery and its subsequent transplant performed only through open surgery took nine hours.
- India has ranked at which position on health care index in Lancet medical journal’s report titled ‘Global Burden of Disease’?
Answer – 1.154th
India’ index score was 44.8, which marks an improvement of 14.1 points as compared to 1990. However, India has underperformed in treating tuberculosis, diabetes, rheumatic heart diseases and chronic kidney disease.
- ‘SIMBEX-17′ was the bilateral exercise between navies of which two countries?
1.India and Australia
2.India and Singapore
3.Australia and China
4.China and Singapore
5.India and Sri Lanka
Answer – 2.India and Singapore
Indian Naval Ships Shivalik, Sahyadri, Jyoti and Kamorta and one P8-I Maritime Patrol and Anti-Submarine Warfare Aircraft participated in “SIMBEX-17′ bilateral Naval Exercise between Navies of the Republic of Singapore and India held in South China Sea.
- As per fresh set of guidelines issued by Reserve Bank of India, banks need to open at least ______% of their banking outlets in a year in unbanked rural centres
Answer – 3.25%
Banking outlet is a fixed point service delivery unit manned by either the bank staff or its business correspondents where services of acceptance of deposits, encashment of cheques, withdrawal or lending of money is provided. The RBI has clarified that ATM kiosks, cash depositing counters and mobile branches will not be treated as banking outlets.
- Which among the following has become the first private airline to get a licence to fly under UDAN, the government’s regional connectivity scheme?
1.Turbo Megha Airways
Answer – 1.Turbo Megha Airways
Turbo Megha Airways is a Hyderabad-based airline which flies as TruJet. It is one of the five operators who have been awarded a total of 128 routes under the UDAN scheme. The airline will use three ATR-72 aircraft, and will add more planes later.
- Which cab aggregator has announced the launch of its ‘Progressive Web App’ (PWA), a lightweight mobile website that offers users, especially in smaller towns and cities, an app-like experience on simple smartphones?
Answer – 1.Ola
Launched together with Google at the Google I/O developer conference in San Francisco, PWA will enable the use of the Ola platform across hundreds of cities in India and addresses a significant market opportunity for customers and driver partners.
- Which among the following entity has received 2014 Indira Gandhi Peace Prize?
1.Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
2.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
3.United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
4.United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
5.National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Answer – 2.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
On May 18, 2017, Former Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh presented the 2014 Indira Gandhi Peace Prize to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) at a function in New Delhi. The prize was announced in the year 2014 by the jury headed by the Vice President M. Hamid Ansari.
- Who among the following received the title “CEO of the Year” at the prestigious Platts Global Metals Awards in London?
Answer – 3.Sanjeev Gupta
Britain’s Indian-origin steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta has bagged a top global award for his successful acquisitions and his drive to transform the steel industry in the UK, India and beyond. He was chosen from a shortlist of 10 top metal industry executives.
- Researchers at Indian Institute of Technology – Delhi have developed a respiratory filter which restricts entry of up to 95 percent dust and air pollutants. This device is referred to as:
Answer – 4.’Nasofilters’
The device ‘Nasofilters’, a nano-respiratory filter involving a cost of Rs. 10, is ready for commercialisation and gives protection against the finest particulate pollutants in the air for at least eight hours and hence reduces the risk of respiratory diseases.
- Zaire, Bundibugyo, Sudan, Reston and Tai Forest are the strains of which virus?
3.Swine influenza virus
4.Varicella zoster virus
Answer – 1.Ebola
A team of scientists have discovered the first natural human antibodies that can neutralize and protect animals against all three major disease-causing Ebola viruses. Kartik Chandran, a Professor in the Department of Microbiology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, New York, helped in identifying the antibodies.
- The National Green Tribunal(NGT) has banned open defecation and dumping of waste on the floodplains of the Yamuna and announced an environment compensation of Rs _________ for those who violated the diktat.
Answer – 4.Rs. 5000
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also constituted a committee headed by Delhi Jal Board CEO to oversee the execution of work pertaining to cleaning of the river and asked it to submit reports at regular intervals.
- Which team has retained the No. 1 spot in the latest ICC Test rankings?
Answer – 3.India
India has retained the No 1 ranking in Tests after a magnificent performance in the last couple of seasons. South Africa is in second position but has cut down the deficit. In the latest rankings released by the ICC, India is on top with 123 points, followed by South Africa with 117 and Australia with 100 points.
- Who among the following is the author of the book ‘Metaphysics, Morals and Politics’?
1.Prof. Girish Deshmukh
2.Prof. Amal Kumar Mukhopadhyay
3.Prof. Laxmikanth Rajan
4.Prof. Mahesh Mishra
5.Prof. Rajiv Kumar Dhumal
Answer – 2.Prof. Amal Kumar Mukhopadhyay
President Pranab Mukherjee received the first copy of book ‘Metaphysics, Morals and Politics’ from Prof. Amal Kumar Mukhopadhyay on May 18, 2017 in Kolkata, West Bengal. In 1961, as a state scholar of the Government of West Bengal, Prof. Mukhopadhyay joined as a research scholar at the London School of Economics and began his Ph.D. research on T.H. Green, the 19th century English idealist political philosopher.
- What was the 2017 theme of ‘International Museum Day’, celebrated on May 18, 2017?
1.’Museums and Cultural Landscapes’
2.’Museums and Contested Histories: Saying the unspeakable in museums’
3.’Museums for a Sustainable Society’
4.’Museum collections make connections’
5.’Museums for social harmony’
Answer – 2.Museums and Contested Histories: Saying the unspeakable in museums
International Museum Day (IMD) is celebrated every year on or around 18 May, coordinated by the International Council of Museums (ICOM). The IMD provides the opportunity for museum professionals to meet the public and alert them as to the challenges that museums face.
- ’World AIDS Vaccine Day’ is observed on which date every year?
Answer – 2.18th May
World AIDS Vaccine Day, also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, is observed annually on May 18. HIV vaccine advocates mark the day by promoting the continued urgent need for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS.
- Delhi government has launched first ever fully air-conditioned bus stand in south Delhi’s Lajpat Nagar. This facility has been set up in collaboration with which company?
Answer – 5.Daikin
The fully air-conditioned bus stand has been launched at Lajpat Nagar, with Daikin India joining hands with the Delhi government as part of the latter’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative. Heatwaves in the country have been turning out to be particularly deadly with over 4,620 recorded deaths caused by the severe weather condition in the last four years.
Thanks for choosing AffairsCloud. If you like our services, kindly suggest our site AffairsCloud.com to all your aspirant friends.