AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 5 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- In the 29th GST Council meeting, a sub-committee was formed to address issues of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector. Who is the head of the committee?
1.B S Behera
2.Ravindra Kumar Dholakia
4.Shiv Pratap Shukla
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Shiv Pratap Shukla
The committee will consist of Manish Sisodia, Sushil Modi, Himanta Biswa Sarma, Thomas Isaac and Manpreet Badal. The issues related to law would be taken up by the law committee and issues related to rates would be taken up by the fitment committee. The reports would be presented before the sub-committee.
- On 5th August 2018, the government approved 122 new research projects at a cost of _____ under IMPRINT-2 initiative?
1.Rs 456 crore
2.Rs 200 crore
3.Rs 112 crore
4.Rs 888 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Rs 112 crore
It would cover the fields of Energy, Security, Healthcare, Advanced Materials, ICT and Security/Defence. Of the 122 new IMPRINT projects sanctioned, 81 are sponsored by industry. These include: 35 (ICT); 18 (Advanced Materials), 17 (Healthcare Technology), 12 (Energy Security); 11 (Security &Defence); 9 (Sustainable Habitat); 7 Water Resource & River Systems; 5 (Environment & Climate); 4 (Manufacturing); and 4 (Nano Technology). Private institutions have been invited to participate in the IMPRINT programme.
- On 5th August 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind gave his assent to _____, that will prevent offenders from avoiding legal process and escaping the country?
1.Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018
2.Fugitive Financial Offenders Bill, 2017
3.Tax Evaders Prevention Bill, 2016
4.Finacial Offenders Prevention Bill, 2018
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018
Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill 2018 was passed by the Parliament on 25th July 2018. It was introduced in Rajya Sabha by Union Finance Minister Piyush Goyal. The Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill 2018 enables authorities to attach and confiscate properties and assets of economic offenders who escape from India. As per the bill, the accused will be forced to return to India and face prosecution. One of the provisions under this bill is formation a Special Court under the Prevention of Money-Laundering Act, 2002 to declare Fugitive Economic Offenders.
- On August 5, 2018, India imposed new higher tariffs of ____% against 29 goods imported from the United States?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.120 %
On August 5, 2018, India imposed new higher tariffs of 120% against 29 goods imported from the United States. These will come into effect from September 18,2018. The products include: almonds, walnuts and apples. This is in response to rise in the import levies on certain steel and aluminium products earlier this year by US, which had a tariff implication of Rs.241 million on India.
- How many additional days will be provided for resolution of 34 stressed power projects, according to a report by government committee under Cabinet Secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.180
On August 5, 2018, according to a government report, additional 180 days will be provided for resolution of 34 stressed power projects. This would be allowed to commissioned power projects which have been commissioned before February 12 or have not been referred to NCLT. During this time banks should undertake more intensive monitoring of the said assets to avoid them into turning into NPAs. Power plants with capacity of about 40,000 MW will be considered differently.
- On August 5, 2018, which country surpassed China and became the world’s second-largest stock market, according to Bloomberg’s data?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Japan
On August 5, 2018, according to Bloomberg’s data Japan is now the world’s second-largest stock market. It has overthrown China as its total equity is $6.17 trillion and that of China’s is $6.09 trillion. The United States is the world’s biggest market for stocks, with total worth just over $31 trillion. Earlier, China overtook Japan in 2014.
- When will the India Post Payments Bank be launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with a focus on rural areas?
1.August 21, 2018
2.March 2, 2019
3.January 1, 2019
4.April 3, 2019
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.August 21, 2018
On August 5, 2018, the central government announced that PM Modi will launch India Post Payments Bank on August 21 with a focus on rural areas. 648 branches will be launched across country in every district. Government will link all the 1.55 lakh post office branches with IPPB services. This will create the country’s largest banking network.
- Name the Indian-origin U.S. astronaut who has been selected by NASA as one among the 9 astronauts to fly the first missions into space on commercial spacecraft, starting in 2019?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sunita Williams
These nine astronauts will launch on the first crewed test flights and missions of new commercial spacecraft built and operated by the Boeing Company and SpaceX. The astronauts will launch on Boeing CST-100 Starliner and SpaceX Dragon capsules to the International Space Station starting in 2019. These missions will be the first crewed launches from United States soil after the end of the space shuttle programme in 2011.
- Scientists from which country have created the first single-chromosome yeast without affecting the majority of its functions?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.China
Brewer’s yeast consists of 16 chromosomes. Chinese scientists have created a single-chromosome yeast which has almost all the genetic material of Brewer’s yeast. Molecular biologists at the Centre for Excellence in Molecular Plant Sciences, China used CRISPR-Cas9 genome-editing to develop a single-chromosome yeast strain. A paper regarding this has been published in journal Nature. This finding can help in advancing research related to aging and diseases in humans. It could also lead to the creation of new man-made species in future.
- Which Indian golf player has won his first European Tour title at the Fiji International, at Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course, in Fiji?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Gaganjeet Bhullar
Gaganjeet Bhullar won the title at the Fiji International with a six-under 66 for a four-day total of 14-under 274. Australia’s Anthony Quayle finished in the second position. South Africa’s Ernie Els finished at tied third with Australia’s Ben Campbell. Another Indian Ajeetesh Sandhu finished at tied 43rd position. This is Gaganjeet Bhullar’s 10th overall title. Now he has become the most successful Indian golf player on Asian Tour.
- Which Indian cricketer has reached number 1 position in the ICC Player Rankings for Test Batsmen, as per the latest ICC ranking released on 5th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli’s century against England in the opening Test at Edgbaston, has helped him reach the top position. Now Virat Kohli has replaced Steve Smith as the as the top-ranked batsman. Virat Kohli (934 points) leads Steve Smith by 5 points. This is the first time Virat Kohli has reached top position in the ICC Player Rankings for Test Batsmen. Virat Kohli has become the 7th India batsman and first since Sachin Tendulkar (in 2011) to reach the top position in the ICC Test Batsmen ranking.
- On August 4, 2018, Krishna Shripadrao Deshpande passed away in Karnataka. He was a ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.library scientist
On August 4,2018, eminent library scientist Krishna Shripadrao Deshpande passed away at his residence in Malamaddi of Dharwad, Karnataka. He was 95 and survived by wife, son and daughter. He became the chief librarian and professor in the department of library science. He had participated in the freedom movement and was the president of Gandhi Peace Foundation.
- How many Israeli startups working on healthcare, agriculture and water management sectors have been selected under the “Israel-India Bridge to Innovation” program to interact with various Indian businesses?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.6
The 6 startups that have been selected include: Amaizz, Biofeed, Zebra Medical, MobileODT, etc. The 6 selected startups possess innovative technologies in healthcare, agriculture and water management sectors. These startups had participated in the innovation week from 23-27 July 2018. The innovation week was started by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu along with Israel Innovation Authority (IIA) and Invest India in 2017.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed non-fund-based _____ at State levels to revive India’s co-operative banking sector?
1.Umbrella organisations (UO)
2.Prime organisations (PO)
3.Terminal organisations (CO)
4.Central Organisations (CO)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Umbrella organisations (UO)
On August 5, 2018, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed non-fund-based Umbrella organisations(UO) at State levels to revive India’s co-operative banking sector. It would conduct non-fund activities in the areas of training, capacity building and IT infrastructure and research. Gujarat is the first State in the country to have an UO for the UCB sector. Along with this, it is conducting a two-day conference and exhibition of co-operative banking sector under the name Sahakar Setu 2018, in Ahmedabad, from August 4-5.
- Who has become the first Japanese man to win the badminton World Championships?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Kento Momota
Kento Momota of Japan defeated Shi Yuqi of China 21-11, 21-13 in the men’s final at the badminton world championships on 5thAugust 2018. In men’s doubles, China’s Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen beat Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda of Japan 21-12, 21-19 for their first world title.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is YS Raja Reddy Stadium located?Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh
- Name the CEO and headquarters of International Cricket Council (ICC)?CEO – David Richardson; Headquarters – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Who is the Chairman of Rajya Sabha?M. Venkaiah Naidu
- Who is the Administrator of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) headquartered in Washington DC, United States?Jim Bridenstine
- Who is the Minister of State for Commerce and Industry?C R Chaudhary