As part of the 125th birth anniversary year celebrations of Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar aka Babasaheb, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released two commemorative coins of Rs 125 and Rs 10 denomination.
- The coins were issued on his death anniversary which is observed as “Mahaparinirvan Divas of Babasaheb Ambedkar”.
- On 30 September Union communication and IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad released commemorative postal stamps on him.
The Union government is celebrating 125th birth anniversary of Dr B R Ambedkar in the year 2015. The objective of yearlong celebrations is to make the world aware about the life and the work of legendary social reformer who is often considered as a champion of the underprivileged.
About Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
Born on 14 April 1891 he is known as the “Father of Indian Constitution” as he was the chief architect of the Constitution of India.
- He was the first minister of Law and Justice and stayed in office from August 29, 1947 to January 24, 1950.
- As a student he earned his law degree and earned various doctorate degrees from London School of Economics, Columbia University
- B.R Ambedkar established the Finance Commission of India.
- Dr Ambedkar was given the highest civilian award “Bharat Ratna” in 1990 whereas he died in 1956.
In 1921-22, when he was studying at London School of Economics (LSE) had spent around a year at the three-storey town house on King Henry’s Road in north London, UK, which was purchased by the Maharashtra government for £3.2 million last month.