On April 4, 2018, Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following initiatives:
Cabinet approves closure of loss making Burn Standard Company Limited – a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE)
Burn Standard Company Limited is a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under Union Ministry of Railways.
- The decision for closure has been taken on account of poor financial performance of the company for more than 10 years, despite financial assistance and other support provided by Government.
- Indian Government will provide one-time grant of Rs. 417.10 crore to Burn Standard Company Limited for severance package of employees and for clearing the current liabilities.
Quick facts about Burn Standard Company Limited:
♦ Incorporated in – 1976
♦ Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal
♦ Industry – Transportation
Cabinet approves rightsizing the Competition Commission of India
Union Cabinet has approved rightsizing the Competition Commission of India (CCI) from One Chairperson and Six Members (totalling seven) to One Chairperson and Three Members (totalling four).
- Presently CCI has a Chairperson and four Members.
- Rightsizing will be executed by not filling existing vacancies of two Members and one more additional vacancy, which is expected in September, 2018.
- This decision of rightsizing is in line with Governments objective of “Minimum Government – Maximum Governance”.
Quick Facts about Competition Commission of India (CCI):
♦ Formed in – 2003
♦ Headquarters – New Delhi
♦ Current Chairperson – Devendra Kumar Sikri
Cabinet approves the Protection of Human Rights (Amendments) Bill, 2018
Union Cabinet has given its approval to the Protection of Human Rights (Amendments) Bill, 2018 aimed at strengthening the Human Rights Institutions of India and bringing the protection of human rights law in India in perfect sync with the agreed global standards.
Salient Features of Protection of Human Rights (Amendments) Bill, 2018:
- The amendment bill proposes to include “National Commission for Protection of Child Rights” as deemed Member of the Commission.
- It also proposes to add a woman Member in the composition of the Commission.
- Scope of eligibility for selection of Chairperson of National Human Rights Commission as well as the State Human Rights Commission has been widened.
- Term of office of Chairperson and Members of National Human Rights Commission and State Human Rights Commission should be amended in order to make it in consonance with the terms of Chairperson and Members of other Commissions.
- The amendment bill proposes to put in place a mechanism to look after the cases of human rights violation in the Union Territories.
Cabinet approves revised cost estimates of the scheme of updation of National Register of Citizens, 1951 in Assam
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the Revised Cost Estimates (RCE) of the scheme of Updation of National Register of Citizens (NRC), 1951 in Assam at a cost of Rs. 1220.93 crore up to December 31, 2018.
- NRC, Assam is being updated as per the provisions of the Citizenship Act, 1955 and the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003.
- It will include persons whose names appear in any of the electoral rolls up to the midnight of March 24, 1971 or National Register of Citizens, 1951 and their descendants.
- NRC, Assam will contain the names of genuine Indian citizens and will help the government to check illegal immigration in India.
- First Draft of NRC, Assam covering 1.90 crore persons out of 3.29 crore applicants was published on December 31, 2017. This list contains names of those applicants for whom the entire process of verification has been completed.
Quick Facts about Assam:
♦ Capital – Dispur
♦ Current Governor – Jagdish Mukhi
♦ Current Chief Minister – Sarbananda Sonowal
♦ Important National Park – Kaziranga National Park