Young Indian shooter Apurvi Chandela (23) began her year on a high by winning the Gold with a world record in the 10m Air Rifle at the Swedish Cup Grand Prix. For her outstanding performance in the tournament, she was awarded a Walther rifle, besides being crowned the best shooter (men and women combined).
- World No.7 Chandela had a tally of 211.2 which surpassed the feat of Chinese Olympic gold medallist Yi Siling, who held the record with 211.
- Silver and bronze medal has been clinched by the Swedish shooters Astrid Steffensen (207.6) and Stine Nielsen (185.0) respectively.
- Apurvi is already qualified for 2016 Rio Olympics.
About Apurvi Chandela
1993 born won the women’s gold in 10m air rifle event in the 59th National Shooting Championship in New Delhi in Dec 2015.
- In September 2015, she had also given the remarkable performance in the ISSF Rifle and Pistol World Cup Finals by clinching the silver medal in the 10m air rifle in Munich.
- In 2014, she won four medals at the Intershoot Championships at The Hague, that included two individual and two team medals.
- In 2014, she won the gold medal in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
- In 2012, Chandela won the gold medal in the 10 metres air rifle event at the National shooting championships in New Delhi.
About Swedish Cup
Swedish Cup is an international shooting competition for air guns. It takes place in Savjo, Sweden in the beginning of January each year.
- Swedish Cup was established in 2005.
Capital – Stockholm
Currency – Swedish krona
Prime Minister – Stefan Lofven