On February 18, 2021 The 3rd India-Australia-Japan-USA Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QUAD) Ministerial meeting 2021 held virtually from Washington DC, United States(US).The meeting was attended by Foreign Ministers of Japan, India, Australia and the US(QUAD) countries.
- Myanmar was the key focus of the meet.
- The QUAD nations reaffirmed their commitment to strengthen cooperation including support for freedom of navigation and territorial integrity.
- The Indian side was represented by Union Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Notably, 2021 Quad Ministerial Meeting was first meeting under the Joe Biden Administration.
- US- Antony Blinken, Secretary of State
- Australia- Marise Payne, Foreign Minister
- Japan- Toshimitsu Motegi, Foreign Minister
–Discussions were held on COVID-19 response and climate change and to address these global challenges.
–They also discussed countering disinformation, counterterrorism, maritime security, the urgent need to restore the democratically elected government in Myanmar, and the priority of strengthening democratic resilience in the broader region.
–They reaffirmed their mutual support for ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) centrality.
–They also expressed their commitment in enhancing access to affordable vaccines, medicines and medical equipment.
–Notably, India’s efforts at providing vaccines to 74 countries were appreciated at the meeting.
This meeting is the continuation of the views that were exchanged in the 2nd QUAD meeting of October 6, 2020 that was held in Tokyo. The first meeting of Quad was organized in the year 2019 in New York.
Recent Related News:
i.On January 23, 2021, the 19th meeting of the Joint Steering Committee (JSC) on India Bangladesh cooperation in the energy sector was held in Dhaka, Bangladesh where Indian delegation was led by the Power Secretary Sanjiv Nandan Sahai while Power Secretary Md. Habibur Rahman represented the Bangladesh side.
ii.On 21st January, 2021, Present Chair of the Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD), Government of Turkey hosted the 17th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue 2021 virtually under the theme “The New Normal and Safe and Healthy Tourism”.
About Quad ministerial:
In 2017, the above mentioned four countries approved the proposal of setting up the “Quad” or the Quadrilateral coalition to counter China’s aggressive behaviour in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Quad Countries are also known as “Asian NATO”.
- It is held annually at the Ministerial level and on a regular basis at senior and working levels.
- The first meeting of this framework was held in New York in September 2019.