The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on October 2, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi. This day is referred as Gandhi Jayanti in India.
About this day :
In January 2004, Iranian Nobel laureate Shirin Ebadi had taken a proposal for an International Day of Non-Violence from a Hindi teacher in Paris teaching international students to the World Social Forum in Mumbai.
- On 15 June 2007 the United Nations General Assembly voted to establish 2 October as the International Day of Non-Violence.
Gandhi Jayanthi Celebration :
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi. He launched a booklet on Yoga Protocol for Diabetes control, and distributed prizes to winners of the ‘Know India’ Quiz at the exhibition on “Gandhi – Ek Pravasi.
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee flagged-off a march for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi as a symbol of the commitment of Rashtrapati Bhavan to the Swachh Bharat Mission.
Department of Posts releases two Commemorative Stamps on Gandhi Jayanti
Department of Posts organised a nation-wide competition inviting entries for designing the commemorative postage stamps of denominations of Rs 25 and Rs 5 and a miniature sheet.
- Winners : Ms. Binita Biswajeeta, Ms. Sanjula S. and Ms. Arushi Aggarwal
2nd anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission :
Swachh Bharat Mission was launched throughout length and breadth of the country as a national movement on 2nd October , 2014.
On the occasion of second anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission, one lakh villages have become Open Defecation Free
Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh first States to become Open Defecation Free in urban areas
The birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi Porbandar, Gujarat declared as ODF to commemorate the 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi this October 2.
- Gujarat gave ODF status to each of its 180 cities and towns at a function in Porbandar attended by Union Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation Narendra Singh Tomar and Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
- All 110 cities and towns in Andhra Pradesh were given the ODF tag by CM N Chandrababu Naidu at an event in Tirupati.
- India has created a sort of World Record for Construction of toilets or Solid and Liquid Waste Management.
Union Home Minister inaugurates several Swachh Bharat Mission programmes
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh attended the ‘Swachhta Rally‘ and felicitated those who made contribution to the ‘Cleanliness Drive’. He also administered ‘Swachhta Shapath‘ (Cleanliness pledge)
- He also inaugurated Roll Call Shelters, Jan Aushadhi Kendra and Smart Class Rooms for NDMC area.
- By 2019, the dream of ‘Swachh Bharat, Swasth Bharat’ (Clean India, Healthy India) will be realised” said by Rajnath Singh.
Swachh Bharat short film awards 2016
Information and Broadcasting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu awarded Katyayan with a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakh to Katyayan Shivpuri.
Winner List :
First : filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri, from Maharashtra for ‘Murga’
The second prize “ Sudanshu Sharma, KVK Kumar and Akshay Danavale for their films Nahna Doot, Chembuku Moodindi (The Dying Vessel) and Sarkarmi Rati Wadho!,respectively.
Gangtok awarded ‘Cleanest Tourist Destination’
Union Ministry of Tourism has conferred the ‘Cleanest Tourist Destination’ on Sikkim capital, Gangtok and Clean Cities in million plus population category award to two cities Chandigarh and Mysore
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi handed over the award to Commissioner, GMC in Delhi on September 30.
- The Sikkim delegation participated in a workshop organised by the Urban Development and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation for implementing the flagship programme, Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban and Gramin) at Vigyan Bhawanin New Delhi.
Other observations :
- In Indian many places , people also paid tributes to mark the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shashtri.
- Former Chief Minister Of Tamil Nadu Mr. K. Kamaraj’s Death Anniversary also observed on October 2, 2016.He was populalry acknowledged as Kingmaker .