The 125th birth anniversary Dr. Ambedkar was commemorated on 13 th April 2016 at the UN headquarters in New York. This is the first time, United Nations observed the birth anniversary of B.R. Ambedkar.
- A Panel Discussion was held on the theme ‘Combating inequalities for the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals with the objective of raising awareness on the importance of addressing all forms of inequality.
- The event was organized by the Permanent Mission of India to the UN in association with the Kalpana Saroj Foundation and Foundation for Human Horizon.
Documentary: A Man of the Century
- On Behalf of his 125 th Birth Anniversary a documentary Film made by Pune film-maker screened at UN meet, The documentary titled Babasaheb AmbedkarA Man of the Century was screened at the UN Conference in New York.
- Marathi filmmaker SandeepManohar Navre has made the documentary is 28-minute long, just a 10-minute footage was screened at the event in New York.
Gram Uday to Bharat UdayAbhiyan:
Government to launch Gram Uday to Bharat UdayAbhiyan from 14th to 24th April, 2016
- Starting with Dr.Ambedkar’s 125th Birth Anniversary on 14th April 2016 and culminating in Panchayati Raj Day on 24th April 2016.
Village Self Governance Campaign:
- In the period between 14th April and 24th April 2016, the Government, in collaboration with States and Panchayats, will organize a Gram Uday Se Bharat UdayAbhiyan.
- The campaign aims to generate nation-wide efforts to increase social harmony across villages, strengthen Panchayati Raj, promote rural development, and foster farmers’ progress. Hon’ble Prime Minister will inaugurate the Campaign of 14th April 2016 at MHOW in Madhya Pradesh.
125-foot tall Ambedkar statue to come up in Hyderabad
Hyderabad will feature a 125-foot tallStatue of B R Ambedkar, the architect of Indian Constitution, just beside the city’s famous landmarks such as Hussian Sagar Lake and the state secretariat, in a year from now.
- The chief minister declared that the statue of Ambedkar, who is worshiped by scheduled castes among other sections of the society for his role in introducing the reservation system for the socially oppressed sections in education and employment, will be the tallest in the country.
- Those who pass by Hussain Sagar would also notice a giant Budha statue standing in the middle of the lake.
National Agriculture Market portal:
PM Narendra Modi to launch National Agriculture Market portal that will have 21 mandis from 8 States to connect e-mandis in several states at a function in the national capital on the 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar.
- The Scheme launched on a pilot basis of states include Gujarat, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
- The government is aiming to integrate 200 mandis by September this year and entire 585 mandis by March 2018.
- About 200 crore rupees has been sanctioned for this purpose.The Agriculture Ministry further said the government has received proposals from 12 states for integration of 365 wholesale mandis.
Short Notes on Ambedkar:
Ambedkar was born on April 14, 1891 in a poor Mahar family in Madhya Pradesh. He died in 1956 and was posthumously conferred with the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, in 1990.
- Ambedkar, popularly known as Babasaheb, was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer who inspired the Dalit Buddhist movement and campaigned against social discrimination against Untouchables (Dalits), while also supporting the rights of women and labour.