World Arthritis Day(WAD) is annually observed across the globe on October 12 to raise awareness of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases (RMDs) and its impact on people lives. The day also highlights the importance of early diagnosis and treatment.
- 12th October 2023 marks the observance of 28th WAD.
The theme of WAD 2023 is “Living with an RMD at all stages of life”.
i.World Arthritis Day was first established in 1996 by Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI).
ii.The first WAD was celebrated on 12th October 1996 and the event has been held annually ever since.
What is Arthritis?
i.Arthritis is a broad term encompassing over 100 diseases that affect the joints. These diseases are commonly triggered by problems of the immune system.
ii.It can cause pain, stiffness, swelling, and difficulty in moving, and can lead to difficulty in walking.
iii.There are different types of arthritis including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, Gout, Psoriatic arthritis, Septic arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are the two most common types of arthritis.
- In rheumatoid arthritis is a autoimmune disease, in which the body’s own immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue in joints and other organs.
- With OA, the cartilage within a joint begins to break down and the underlying bone begins to change (by rubbing together) causing pain, stiffness, and swelling in the joints.
i.RMDs are chronic systemic diseases that can affect any part of the body, including the joints, muscles, bones, and organs.
ii.There are over 200 different types of RMDs.
iii.RMDs can affect people of all ages, from children to young adults. Some RMDs are more common in women of reproductive age.
The EULAR Campaigns 2023:
i.European Alliance of Associations for Rheumatology (EULAR) hosts campaigns to help achieve its goal in the area of Advocacy to increase participation in work by people with RMDs by the year 2023.
ii.The campaign is build upon 2022 campaign about rheumatology being an invisible specialisation of medicine.
- It is focused on understanding the issues the diverse people have in the field of Rheumatology.
Recent Related News:
World Sickle Cell Day, also known as “World Sickle Cell Awareness Day” is annually observed across the globe on 19th June to raise awareness about Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) and its impact on individuals, families, and communities worldwide.
About the European Alliance of Associations for Rheumatology (EULAR):
EULAR is the European umbrella organisation representing scientific societies, health professional associations and organisations for people with RMDs.
President- Daniel Aletaha (Austria)
Headquarters- Zürich, Switzerland
Established in – 2000