Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar has stated that the Government has set Foodgrains Production target for the crop year 2021-22 at 307 Million Tonnes (MT), the production target for 2020-21 was 301.92 MT.
- Season wise target – 151.43 MT in Kharif season & 155.88 MT during Rabi season.
- The government has also set targets for rice, wheat, pulses and others for the year 2021-22.
- Narendra Singh Tomar stated the targets during the inauguration of ‘The National Conference on Agriculture for Kharif Campaign-2021’ held virtually on April 30, 2021.
|Coarse Cereals||51.21 MT|
|Jute & Mesta||10.6 MT|
i.As per Economic Survey 2020-21, the share of Agriculture in GDP increased to 19.9% in 2020-21 (from 17.8% in 2019-20).
ii.The production of food grains for the crop year 2020-21 was 303.34 MT, an increase of 1.96% compared to 2019-20 (297.50 MT).
- Production of pulses and oilseed stood at 24.42 & 37.3 MT.
- Due to implementation of a special program on summer/Zaid season, the summer season area has increased (from 63.44 Lakh Hectares to 75.75 Lakh Hectares).
Highlights from Conference
During the conference, discussions were held to review preparedness for management of Kharif crops.
- Discussions were also held on nutrient management, pest management, crop diversification & increasing farmer’s Income.
- State Governments were urged to address the shortage of oilseeds and pulses & identify places for organic farming.
Recent Related News:
i.March 16, 2021, According to data presented by MoAFW to Lok Sabha, 4 states namely Sikkim, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka & Maharashtra have more than half of the net cultivated farmlands under micro-irrigation in India.
About Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW)
Union Minister – Narendra Singh Tomar (Morena, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State – Parshottam Rupala (Rajya Sabha, Gujarat), Kailash Choudhary (Lok Sabha – Barmer, Rajasthan)