On August 25, 2020 the First Meeting of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa) Sports Ministers under the Russian BRICS Chairmanship took place through video conference. The BRICS Sports Ministers signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to strengthen and develop the cooperation in the field of physical culture and sport within the BRICS members.
The event was attended by Mr Oleg Matytsyn, Russian Minister of Sport, Mr Kiren Rijiju Indian Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Mr Gou Zhongwen, Director of China’s State General, Administration of Sports, Mr Emmanuel Nkosinathi Mthethwa Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture of the Republic of South Africa and Mr Onyx Lorenzoni, Brazilian Minister of Citizenship.
Key Points of MoU:
The document provides for cooperation in following areas:
- Social Integration through physical culture and sport.
- Hosting Annual BRICS Games in the country of BRICS Chairmanship.
- Exchange of athletes, coaches and sports experts and encouragement of athletes to participate in international sports events held in BRICS countries.
- Cooperation in the field of high performance sports, mass and recreational sports.
- Development of national, traditional and non-Olympic sports & exchanging views on issues of mutual interest in the field of physical culture and sports discussed at international venues.
- Exchange and Systematization of the results of research projects.
- Exchange of Information regarding the introduction and maintenance of sports infrastructure facilities.
i.Issues of cooperation in the field of sports regarding organisation and holding of sports events during India’s BRICS Chairmanship in 2021 were discussed.
ii.Russia also expressed interest to share experience and provide support to the Organising Committee of the Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games to be held in Beijing in 2022.
BRICS Chairman (2020) – Russia
President of New Development Bank – Marcos Prado Troyjo, Brazil