On October 19, 2017, Assam State Government rolled out ‘Tourism Policy of Assam 2017’ with an aim to increase tourist inflow in the state by at least two to three times within next five years.
Details about ‘Tourism Policy of Assam 2017’:
‘Tourism Policy of Assam 2017’ will be effective from January 2018 to December 2022.
- To channelize resources in making this policy a success story, tourism sector in Assam has been accorded the ‘Industry’ status.
- In the policy, special emphasis has been laid on making the state a preferred destination of film making by offering a range of incentives to movie producers.
- Hindi, English and foreign language cinema makers, who have produced a minimum of five feature films in Assam will be offered cash grant of 25 per cent or Rs 1 crore, whichever is less, of expenditure in Assam.
- This benefit will be offered only to those films in which 25 per cent shooting is done in Assam and 25 per cent of cast and crew should be from the state. Besides, 10 per cent rebate will be offered if more than 50 per cent of the entire shooting is done in Assam.
- Films in which storyline revolves around Assam’s culture, tourism and heritage will get an additional 10 per cent grant.
- As per data provided in the policy, 4500000 domestic and 20,000 foreign tourists visited Assam in 2014.
- For constructing tourism units such as tourist lodges, hotels, resorts, houseboats and floating restaurants in Assam, a capital investment subsidy at the rate of 30 per cent of capital investment, subject to a ceiling of Rs 1 crore will be provided to the investor by the State Government.
- 25 per cent subsidy of cost payable (with ceiling of Rs. 10 lakh) for connecting power line to the eligible tourism units has also been listed in the policy.
Quick Facts about Assam:
- Capital – Dispur
- Current Chief Minister – Sarbananda Sonowal
- Current Governor – Jagdish Mukhi
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification