On January 3, 2020, Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) under Ministry of tribal Affairs (MoTA) formulated a proposal to collaborate with Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) and India Post for implementing marketing and logistic intervention to promote traditional tribal products of the North Eastern states.
- This collaboration is on the lines of the ‘Act East policy’ of the government to promote economic, strategic and cultural relations with Asia-Pacific region.
- It will also contribute towards Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, Vocal for Local, and Buy Tribal initiative of the Government.
Objective of Collaboration:
–To increase the sale of the North-Eastern products to 4 fold by creating a brand for products from that region.
–To increase global awareness of the brand by providing national and international market access.
–To enhance income generation of tribal suppliers by enhancing tribal entrepreneurship.
How will the collaboration work?
–Through the collaboration there will identification of suppliers and weaving clusters; sourcing of products, training and development of tribal resources, procurement and aggregation of tribal products and transportation and distribution of the selected products to Tribes India outlets and end customers.
–DoNER will work on these activities through its agencies while TRIFED will use its network of outlets and its e-commerce platforms for the marketing and branding in domestic and international markets.
–There will also be geographical indication (GI) tagging of the products to maintain transparency regarding the origin of the product. The promotion of GI tagged products will be done through TRIFED and India Post.
- In this regard, a philatelic exhibition being planned by the Department of Post in January 2021 where 6 GI items will be exhibited and promoted widely.
- The same items will be promoted by TRIFED in its GI specific Aadi Mahotsav exhibition in February 2021.
- TRIFED and India Post will also tie up to host a tribal exhibition at the General Post Office (GPO) in Ahmedabad Gujarat.
- India Post will also purchase products and items made by tribal artisans for all its future gifting requirements.
Recent Related News:
i.On 30th October 2020, TRIFED signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the JD Center of Arts (JDCA) for collaboration on joint socio-cultural research work and anthropological study of tribal art and tradition in the tribal dominated regions of India.
ii.TRIFED partnered with the Lok Sabha team to showcase tribal crafts, culture and cuisine through exhibition.
About Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED):
Managing Director– Pravir Krishna
Headquarter– New Delhi
It is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
About Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER):
Minister of State (Independent Charge)– Dr. Jitendra Singh
Secretary– Dr. Inder Jit Singh