India’s External Affairs Minister (EAM) Dr S Jaishankar paid an official visit to two countries Greece from June 25-27, 2021 & Italy from June 28-29, 2021.
- During his visit to Greece, the two sides reviewed the cooperation in the areas like trade and investment, science and technology, culture, academics and people-to-people contact.
- EAM visited Italy to participate in the G20 Foreign Affairs Ministers’ Meeting 2021 followed by a joint session of Foreign Affairs and Development Ministers held at Matera, Basilicata, Italy.
EAM’s visit to Greece
EAM Jaishankar visited Greece at the invitation of Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Hellenic Republic (Greece), Nikos Dendias. During the visit, he also held talks with Prime Minister of Greece, Kyriakos Mitsotakis.
- EAM Jaishankar’s visit to Greece is the 1st visit by an Indian foreign minister to Greece since 2003.
- EAM conveyed India’s felicitations towards the 200th anniversary of Greek Independence.
Greece joins India-led ISA
During the visit, Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias signed and handed over the Agreement on the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to the Indian side.
i.ISA also known as International Agency for Solar Policy and Application (IASPA) was launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi & the then-French President Francois Hollande ahead of the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference or COP21 in Paris, France.
ii.It aims to work for efficient consumption of solar energy for reducing dependence on fossil fuels & contribute to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement through the massive deployment of solar energy.
- It is an alliance of over 121 countries.
- At present 77 Countries have signed and ratified the ISA FA, while 95 countries have signed the ISA FA.
Key Takeaways from the visit
i.EAM Jaishankar unveiled the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Athens.
- They exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest in the context of new geo-political and geo-economic realities, including the Indo-Pacific.
- They also recognised the threat posed by radicalization, violent extremism, as well as terrorism, including cross border terrorism.
ii.The 2 countries agreed to work towards the establishment of a Strategic Partnership. They are also expected to sign the Cultural Exchange Programme for the period 2021-25 in the future.
EAM attends G20 Ministerial Meetings in Italy
EAM visited Italy to participate in the G20 Foreign Affairs Ministers’ Meeting 2021 followed by a joint session of Foreign Affairs and Development Ministers.
i.The meetings took place from June 28-29, 2021 at Matera, Basilicata, Italy from June 28-29, 2021. It was hosted by Italy, which hosts the 2021 Presidency of G20.
ii.During the meeting, the ministers held discussions on how to improve cooperation and revive the world’s economy in the post-pandemic era. They also discussed ways to boost sustainable development in Africa.
- They also discussed ways to ensure equitable worldwide access to vaccines and diagnostics.
- The meeting is part of the G20 Leaders Summit 2021 set to be hosted by Italy in October, 2021.
- India is expected to hold the presidency of the G20 in 2022.
iii.During the 1st joint meeting of Foreign Affairs and Development Ministers adopted the ‘Matera Declaration’.
- Matera Declaration calls upon the international community to step up efforts to contain the effects of COVID-19 pandemic on lives and livelihoods, and build inclusive and resilient food chains and ensure adequate nutrition for all, in line with the ‘Zero Hunger’ goal set for 2030.
- It highlights the need for food security, and stresses on the welfare of small & medium farmers, promoting local food cultures and recognising agri-diversity.
Recent Related News:
India’s External Affairs Minister (EAM) S Jaishankar visited London, United Kingdom (UK) from May 3-6, 2021 to participate in the G7 Foreign & Development Ministers Meeting.
President – Katerina Sakellaropoulou
Capital – Athens
Currency – Euro
Members – 20 (19 countries + European Union)
2021 Presidency – Italy
Established – 1999