On 20th June 2022 Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri launched project NIPUN (National Initiative for Promoting Upskilling of Nirman workers) , an initiative of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) under the flagship scheme of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM).
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), the nodal agency under the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, is responsible for the overall execution of the training, monitoring and candidate tracking.
- Aim – To train more than one lakh construction workers through fresh skilling and upskilling programmes and provide them with opportunities in foreign countries.
About the training:
i.The courses are aligned with National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) and will be imparted at accredited and affiliated training centres.
- It includes training on Kaushal Bima (3-year accidental insurance with coverage of Rs 2 lakhs), digital skills like cashless transactions and BHIM app, orientation about entrepreneurship, and Employee’s Provident Fund (EPF) and BOCW facilities.
ii.A project committee will be formed with members from both NSDC and MoHUA, under the chairmanship of Additional Secretary-cum-Mission Director, DAY-NULM to oversee and monitor the project .
Implementation of the project is divided into 3 chapters,
- Training through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) at construction sites.
- Training through Fresh Skilling by Plumbing and Infrastructure SSC
- International Placement through industries, builders or contractors.
i.On-site skill training will be provided to 80,000 construction workers through industry associations under the RPL certification, co-branded with MoHUA, while 14,000 candidates will receive fresh skilling through plumbing and infrastructure Sector Skill Council (SSC).
- It also aims to place at least 12,000 people in foreign countries like the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE and other GCC countries.
Note – The Central Vista Avenue from Vijay Chowk to India Gate will be opened in the near future.
About Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA):
Union Minister – Hardeep Singh Puri (Rajya Sabha– Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of state – Kaushal Kishore