After being in the vegetative state[coma] for the last 42 years after being sexually assaulted, Aruna Shanbaug breathed her last at Mumbai’s King Edward Memorial hospital. In the second week of May she was put on the ventilator support after being diagnosed suffering from serious bout of pneumonia, but she died.
- The year 1973 turned out to b cruel one for Aruna Shanbaug as she was sexually assaulted by a sweeper in KEM hospital, mumbai.
- As a result of that the oxygen supply to her brain was cut off and ever since that incident she went into vegetative state or coma state.
- Supreme Court in the year 2011 had rejected the mercy killing [euthanasia], which was filed by author Pinki Virani.
- Supreme Court based upon this case had framed guidelines for passive euthanasia instead of active euthanasia.
- After this rule by Supreme Court, Aruna’s case sparked a debate in the country about the euthanasia laws and she became the face of the entire nation.
- In the year 1998, Pinki Virani wrote a book titled “Aruna’s story” that was based on the life of Aruna.
- Marathi play ”Katha Arunachi’ was written by Duttakumar Desa based on Aruna and it was staged under the director Vinay Apte in 2002.
Active and Passive Euthanasia— what they mean??
- In Active Euthanasia,medical professionals or others deliberately do that causes instantaneous death to the patient.
- In Passive Euthanasia, the antibiotics or life support of the patient is withdrawn that causes death of the patient.
- Netherlandswas the first nation to make the process of Euthanasia legal.
Some details on King Memorial Hospital [KEM], Mumbai
- KEM Is the foremost in providing medical care institution in India.
- KEM was founded in the year 1926.
- It is located in Mumbai,Maharastra.
- GS Medical College associated with this KEM hospital is affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Science of MUHS.
- GS Medical College ranks top 25 in the list of all medical colleges in India.
- Dr Sandhya kamath is dean of of his medical college