Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award has been conferred on Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist, Frank Islam (63) to recognise his achievements and outstanding contributions in a foreign country.
- The award will be presented by UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at the inaugural UP Pravasi Diwas in Agra on January 4, 2016.
About Frank Islam
He was born in Azamgarh district of Uttar Pradesh and studied at Aligarh Muslim University. Frank came to the U.S. in early 1970s to study at University of Colorado.
- He founded an IT firm the QSS in 1994 with him as the sole employee and built the company to more than 2,000 employees and sales of USD 300 million before selling it in 2007.
- Frank has donated USD 2 million to Aligarh Muslim University for the construction of a new school of management in the 140-year-old institution.
- Currently he is the Chairman and CEO of FI Investment Group, a private investment holding company that he established in 2007.
- In 2014 he was awarded The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Legends Award
Books of Frank Islam:
- Working the Pivot Points: To Make America Work Again (2013)
- Renewing the American Dream: A Citizen’s Guide for Restoring Our Competitive Advantage (2010)
About Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award
The UP Ratna award has been instituted to recognise outstanding contributions of NRIs hailing from the state for making significant contribution to the field of science, technology, culture, medicine, education, public service and commerce in foreign countries.
- The awardees get felicitated with a shawl, citation certificate and memento.