India is set to assume the presidency of the 68th World Health Assembly to be held in Geneva starting May 18 with Health Minister JP Nadda to chair the meeting.
- India is assuming the presidency of the WHA, the high decision making body of the World Health organisation (WHO), after a gap of 19 years.
- When : May 18 to 27.
- Where : Geneva
- The Minister will host a reception for Health Ministers attending the Assembly on May 19.
- Nadda and Margaret Chan, Director-General, WHO, will jointly inaugurate a photo exhibition “Yoga for All, Yoga for Health” to mark the adoption of a resolution by the UN General Assembly declaring June 21 as the International Day of Yoga.
Nadda will also participate in a number of bilateral and multilateral meetings on the sidelines of the WHA including,
- Commonwealth Health Ministers’ Meeting,
- 8th NAM Health Ministers’ Meeting and
- BRICS Health Ministers’ meeting.
Agenda of 68th Session of the World Health Assembly :
Assembly is expected to deliberate on key issues of global interest, including
- Anti-microbial resistance,
- Air pollution and health,
- Global health emergency,
- Preparedness and surveillance,
- Global strategy and plan of action on public health,
- Innovation and intellectual property, and
- Research and development in neglected tropical diseases.
About WHO Health Assembly :
- Top decision-making body of the World Health Organisation
- It is the world’s highest health policy setting body.
- It is composed of health ministers from member states.
- The members of the World Health Assembly generally meet every year in May in Geneva.
- The main tasks of the WHA are to decide major policy questions, as well as to approve the WHO work programme and budget.
- It elects the Director General of WHO.
- The first assembly held in 1948.
- The WHA has 194 member states.
About WHO :
- Specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that is concerned with international public health.
- Founded : 1948
- Headquarters : Geneva
- The WHO is responsible for the World Health Report, a leading international publication on health.
- The head of WHO : Margaret Chan.
- World Health Day : 7 April of every year.