A new report titled ‘India Corruption Survey 2019’ by independent agencies Transparency International India (TII) and LocalCircles, was released on November 27, 2019. As per the report the Corruption rate in India fell by 10% in 2019. At least 1,90,000 people across 248 districts participated in the survey. The report in detail are as follows:Report:
- The percentage of people who had paid bribes fell from 58% in 2018 to 51% in 2019. In 2017, the figure was 45%.
- Most corrupt state: Rajasthan ranked as the most corrupt state having 78% citizens indulged in bribery. Rajasthan was followed by Bihar and Jharkhand in the second and third place respectively.
- Corruption Perception index 2019: India has improved its ranking in the corruption perception index 2019 that ranks countries based on low corruption instances as per Transparency International. India ranks 78th position in the corruption index 2019 out of 180 countries compared to 81 in 2018.
- Low corruption occurrence: Low occurrence of corruption were found in states such as Delhi, Haryana, Gujarat, West Bengal, Kerala, Goa and Odisha.
- High corruption instances: States such as Rajasthan, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Jharkhand and Punjab had higher occurrences of corruption.
- Most bribing areas: Most of the bribery amount is paid to authorities dealing in fields such as property registration and land issues, followed by police, municipal corporation, electricity board, transport office, tax, and water departments, in this order.
- Bribery act caught on CCTV cameras: 16% of the citizens in 2019 compared to 13% in 2018 paid bribes at government offices despite completely computerised and functional CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) cameras fixed in offices.
- Bribery payment: Most bribes were paid through cash (35%), followed by indirectly, i.e., through an agent (30%) and in kind through gifts of other favours (6%).
- As per the Prevention of Corruption Act 2018, giving a bribe is an offence with up to 7 years of imprisonment or fine or both.
About Transparency International(TI):
Headquarters- Berlin, Germany.
Managing Director(MD)- Patricia Moreira.