Solar Physicists of ARIES (Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences), Nainital, Uttarakhand have developed a New Algorithm called ‘CIISCO’ (CMEs Identification in Inner Solar Corona) for detecting & tracking the accelerating solar eruption in the lower/inner corona of the Sun. The algorithm will be used in India’s 1st Solar Mission – Aditya – L1 (set to be launched in 2022).
- The ejections from the sun are technically called Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs).
- A Research team led by Mr. Ritesh Patel, Dr. Vaibhav Pant, and Professor Dipankar Banerjee from ARIES collaborated with the Royal Observatory of Belgium for the development of the Algorithm.
- Aditya-L1 will be observing the inner corona region, hence the implementation of CIISCO on the Aditya-L1 data will provide new insight into the properties of CME.
- The research has been published in the ‘Solar Physics’ Journal.
Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs)
- CMEs are composed of Plasma & Magnetic fields.
- Forecasting their arrival is important as they have the capacity to cause disruptions in space weather, geomagnetic storms, satellite failures, and power outages.
- Earlier, Scientists used a software called Computer Aided CME Tracking Software (CACTus) for detecting eruptions in the outer corona. However, this algorithm cannot be applied to inner corona observations.
- CIISCO has already been tested on several eruptions observed by space observatories Solar Dynamics Observatory & Solar-Terrestrial Relations Observatory, PROBA2 & SWAP launched by U.S. Space Agency NASA & European Space Agency (ESA), respectively.
- The First Solar Mission of India is expected to be launched in 2022.
- It is being built in collaboration between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) & various Indian research institutes.
Recent Related News:
i.August 29, 2020, ARIES astronomers Dr Amitesh Omar and Dr Sumit Jaiswal from the Department of Science and Technology of ARIES discovered the aberration in the formations of the stars in dwarf galaxies while studying several such galaxies.
About Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES):
It is an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology (DST)
Director – Dr. Dipankar Banerjee
Location – Nainital, Uttarakhand