Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Quantitative Aptitude Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Pipes & Cistern which is common for all competitive exams. We have included Some questions that are repeatedly asked in bank exams !!!
- Two taps can separately fill the tank in 18m and 12min respectively and when the waste pipe is open, they can together fill the tank in 9minutes.The waste pipe can empty the tank in
E.None of theseAnswer – C.36min
1/18 + 1/12 = 3+2/36 = 5/36
5/36 – 1/9 = 5-4/36 = 1/36 => 36min
- Two pipes can fill the tank in 4hrs 5hrs respectively while the third pipe can empty the tank in 20hrs, if all the pipes are opened together, then the tank will be filled in
E.None of theseAnswer – A.2.30hrs
1/4+1/5 -1/20 = 5+4-1/20 = 8/20
20/8 => 2(1/2)hrs
- 10 buckets of water fill a taken when the capacity of each bucked is 14 liter. How many buckets will be needed to fill the same tank, if the capacity of each bucket is 7litres ?
E.None of theseAnswer – D.20
10*14 = x*7
X = 10*14/7 = 20
- A leak in the bottom of a tank can empty the full tank in 7 hours. An inlet pipe fills water at the rate of 2 litres a minute. When the tank is full the inlet is opened and due to the leak the tank is empty in 8 hours. The capacity of the tank in litres is
E.None of theseAnswer – D.6720 litres
In 1 hr = 1/7 – 1/8 = 8-7/56 = 1/56
In 1 min = 1/(56*60) = 1/3360
Inlet pipe fill water at the rate of 2 liters a minute = 2*3360 = 6720litres
- Two pipes P and Q can fill a tank in 6 hours and 8 hours respectively. If they are opened on alternate hours and if pipe P is opened first, in how many hours, the tank shall be full ?
E.None of theseAnswer – C. 6.45hrs
1/6+ 1/8 = 8+6/48 = 14/48 = 7/24…………in 2 hr
P => 6* 3/24 => 3/4 = 45min
Total = 6hrs 45min
- Two pipes can fill a tank in 10 hours and 12 hours respectively while a third pipe empties the full tank in 20 hours.If all the three pipes operate simultaneously, in how much time will the tank be filled?
C.7hrs 30 min
E.None of theseAnswer – C.7hrs 30 min
Net apart filled in 1 hour = (1/10+1/12-1/20)
= 8/60 = 2/15.
Tank will be full in = 15/2 hours =› 7 hrs 30 min.
- One pipe can fill a tank 4 times as fast as another pipe. If together the two pipes can fill the tank in 15 minutes, then the slower pipe alone will be able to fill the tank in:
E.None of theseAnswer – A.75minutes
1/x+4/x = 1/15
5/x = 1/15
X = 75minutes
- Bucket A has thrice the capacity as bucket B. It takes 20 turns for bucket P to fill the empty drum. How many turns it will take for both the buckets A and B having each turn together to fill the empty drum
E.None of theseAnswer – C.15
A = 3B
A = 60, B = 20
No of turns = xy/x+y
No of turns = 60*20/20+60 = 1200/80 = 15 turns
- Two pipes A and B would fill a cistern in 20m and 30min respectively, both pipes are kept open for 10min and the first pipe be turned off after that the cistern may be filled in
E.None of theseAnswer – B.5min
10(1/20+1/30) = 10[3+2/60] = 50/60 = 5/6
Remaining part = 1-5/6 = 6-5/6 = 1/6
Second pipe = 30*1/6 = 5min
- Tap A can fill the empty tank in 12hrs but due to leak in the bottom it is filled in 15hrs.If the tank is full ,then tap is closed.In how many hours the leak can empty the tank ?
E.None of theseAnswer – A.60hrs
1/12 – 1/15 = 5-4/60 = 1/60
Note : Dear Friends if u know an alternate methods or shortcuts related to any chapter, you can share here.