The 16th Edition of Asia Media Summit (AMS) 2019 was held in Siem Reap province, Cambodia from June 12 to June 14, 2019. It was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of Cambodia, Samdech Hun Sen. AMS was held under the topic “Media Digitalization Focusing on Developing Markets” and it gave a call to fight against fake news and cyber-crimes.
- It was organized by Cambodian Ministry of Information in collaboration with the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD).
- The summit witnessed the participation of more than 600 media representatives from 42 countries.
- An information ministerial meeting held on the sidelines of the summit agreed to launch Angkor Fake News Initiative. It a year-long research project to find out appropriate measures to counter fake news.
- The participants discussed numerous approaches to combat fake news. It included strengthening regulations and ethical standards, verification process of information, media literacy initiatives etc.
- The summit and pre-summit workshops addressed the concerns raised by digital media. It requested the relevant authorities to make regulations to deal with anti-cybercrimes, fake news, and train people to raise awareness and enhance media profession.
- The 15th AMS was hosted by India in 2018.
♦ Capital: Phnom Penh
♦ Currency: Cambodian riel