World Intellectual Property Day (World IP Day) is annually observed across the world on 26th April to inform the general public about the role of Intellectual Property(IP) rights in encouraging innovation and creativity and to increase the general understanding of IP.
The day also aims to create awareness about the impact of how patents, copyright, trademarks and design affect our daily life.
The theme of World Intellectual Property Day 2022 is “IP and Youth: Innovating for a Better Future”.
In 2000, the member states of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the global forum for intellectual property policy, services, information and cooperation, designated 26th April as World Intellectual Property Day.
- The first-ever World IP Day was observed on 26th April 2001.
Why April 26?
i.26th April was chosen to mark the day on which the WIPO Convention came into existence in 1970.
ii.The WIPO Convention, which established the WIPO was signed on 14th July 1967 in Stockholm, Sweden.
i.Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions, literary and artistic works, designs, symbols, names and images used in commerce.
ii.IP is protected in law by, for example, patents, copyright and trademarks, which enable people to earn recognition or financial benefit from what they invent or create.
iii.The IP system aims to foster an environment in which creativity and innovation can flourish.
Types of IPs:
- Copyright – is a legal term used to describe the rights that creators have over their literary and artistic works.
- Patents – is an exclusive right granted for an invention.
- Trademarks – is a sign capable of distinguishing the goods or services of one enterprise from those of other enterprises.
- Industrial designs – the ornamental or aesthetic aspect of an article.
- Geographical Indications(GI) – used on goods with a specific geographical origin and possess qualities, a reputation or characteristics that are attributable to that place of origin.
- Trade secrets- IP rights on confidential information which may be sold or licensed.
About World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO):
WIPO is a self-funding agency of the United Nations.
Director-General– Daren Tang
Headquarters– Geneva, Switzerland
Member states– 193
Established in 1967