On March 10, 2021, Union Minister of Railways, Piyush Goyal Virtually flagged off the two 3000 Horse Power (HP) Cape Gauge Locomotive for export to Mozambique. It was indigenously developed by Banaras Locomotive Works (BLW), Varanasi, a production unit of Indian Railways.
- This is BLW’s first AC-AC traction system3000 HP, Cape Gauge locomotive.
- These Locomotives will be exported through Rail India Technical and Economic Service (RITES) Ltd.
- Funded – India.
- M/s Bureau Veritas/Noida an International inspecting agency was appointed by Mozambique Railway for inspecting these Locomotives at BLW, Varanasi.
Target- India Planned to become a net-zero Railway & power our entire electricity requirements by renewable energy by 2030. India is set to become the first large railway in the world to become 100% electric traction driven.
This export is part of BLW’s order received from Mozambique on January, 2020 for 3000 HP cape gauge locomotive and 90 stainless steel passenger coaches to Mozambique. This contract will enhance the Indian Government’s Motto, Make-in-India & Atmanirbhar Bharat.
Objective – This export will boost the Indo-African relationship.
i.2 locomotivs were completed within 14 months after getting confirmed order in January 2020.
ii.Most Tedious Process of manufacturing is, Engine.This critical item of Engine i.e. Crank-case assembly was also developed in BLW.
iii.Indian Railways’ BLW will provide Training and Maintenance support, besides locomotives and spares, for multi traction multi gauge systems. Similarly, India will work as Trusted Partner of Mozambique.
Features of 3000 HP Cape Gauge Locomotive:
i.Design -This Loco has a Cape Gauge Bogie with maximum axle load of 20 ton and capable for 100 km/h speed.
ii.Transporting Capacity – It has capacity of 2255 ton at 100 kmph at level track and maximum tractive effort of 400N.
iii.Comfortability– It has ergonomically designed seats, integrated Graphic Driver Display, and also provided with Heating Venting AC (HVAC) for better crew comfort and reducing fatigue.
iv.Fuel Capacity – Larger fuel tank of 6000 liters for longer operation.
- In 1975, BLW has exported 165 diesel locomotives of all types of gauges (Broad Gauge, (BG), Metre Gauge (MG) and Cape Gauge) and Horse Power, starting with 15 Metre Gauge 6 cylinder, 1350 HP, Alco type locos to Tanzania.
- In 2008-09, BLW has exported the ALCO 3000 HP loco, Last Cape Gauge Loco to Mozambique.
- In 2017-18, 18 MG diesel locos were exported to Myanmar. During 20018-2020, 10 BG diesel locos were exported to Sri Lanka.
Recent Related News:
i.India became the 6th Country to manufacture High Power Electric Locomotives indigenously. In 2015, the Ministry of Railways & Alstom (France) signed a contract worth €3.5 billion (INR 25,000 crore) to produce High Power Electric.
About Banaras Locomotive Works(BLW):
General Manager – Anjali Goyal
Headquarter – Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Capital – Maputo
Currency – Mozambican metical (MZN)
President – Filipe Nyusi