According to a notification in the Gazette of India the Modi government has notified introduction of new Rs 200 notes on 23rd August 2017.
i.The Reserve Bank of India has launched the Rs 200 notes from 25th August from select RBI offices and some banks.
ii.The move is widely expected to ease the shortage of lower-denomination currency bills.
iii.The notes will be in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing signature of Governor Urjit Patel.
Key Specifications of the Note, as detailed by the RBI:
- See through register with denominational numeral 200.
- Latent image with denominational numeral 200.
- Denominational numeral 200 in Devnagari.
- Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi at the centre.
- Micro letters ‘RBI’, ‘Bharat’ (in Hindi), ‘India’ and ‘200’.
- Windowed security thread with inscriptions Bharat in Hindi and RBI with colour shift. Colour of the thread changes from green to blue when the note is tilted.
- Denominational numeral with rupee symbol, Rs 200 in colour changing ink (green to blue) on bottom right.
For visually impaired
(a) Intaglio or raised printing of Mahatma Gandhi portrait, Ashoka Pillar emblem, raised Identification mark H with micro-text Rs 200, four angular bleed lines with two circles in between the lines both on the right and left sides.
On the reverse side
(a) Year of printing of the note on the left.
(b) Swachh Bharat logo with slogan
(c) Language panel
(d) Motif of Sanchi Stupa
(e)Denominational numeral 200 in Devnagari
Dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm × 146 mm.