Elattuvalapil Sreedharan, Principal adviser of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) accepted an invitation of United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to serve on his High-Level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport (HLAG-ST).
(Nick name – Metro man)
The service period is three years and Sreedharan has accepted the offer who is also a Kerala State planning Board Member.
Objectives of HLAG – ST
- The group was announced by the U.N. Secretary General on August 8, 2014, to formulate recommendations on sustainable transport actionable at global, national, local, and sector levels.
- The group will work with governments, transport providers, businesses, financial institutions, civil society, and other stakeholders to promote sustainable transport systems.
- To provide a global message and recommendations on sustainable transport, including on innovative policy and multi-stakeholder partnerships.
- Will launch a “global transport outlook report” to provide analytical support for recommendations.
About E Sreedharan
- Sreedharan was born on 12 June 1932 in Pattambi in the Palakkad district of Kerala.
- Retired as Indian Engineering Service (IES) officer
- Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2001
- Named one of the Asia’s Heroes by TIME magazine in 2003
- Chevalier de la Légion d’honneurin (highest decoration in France) 2005
- Padma Vibhushan in 2008
Books on Him
- Karmayogi: E. Sreedharante Jeevitha Kath is an authentic biography by M. S. Asokan.
- A short biography on E. Sreedharan was penned by P.V. Alby, named Jeevithavijayathinte Paadapusthakam.