We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 20 & 21 June 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs June 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
India, Bhutan sign MoU to develop cooperation in areas of EnvironmentIndia & Bhutan signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for developing cooperation between the two countries in the area of environment. It will also enable bilateral cooperation in the area of climate change, waste management etc.
- The MoU was signed by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar from the Indian side and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Chairperson of the National Environment Commission Lyonpo Dr. Tandi Dorji from the Bhutanese side.
- MoU will strengthen technological, scientific and management capabilities and expand the areas of cooperation in the field of environment.
Both sides will support, exchange best practices in areas like prevention of Air Pollution, Waste Management, Chemical Management, Climate Change and others.
>>Read Full News
ECI Released ‘General Elections 2019 India – An Atlas’Chief Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra along with Election Commissioners Rajiv Kumar and Anup Chandra Pandey released the “General Elections 2019 India – An Atlas”, which consists of data and statistical figures of 17th General Elections held in 2019.
- The Atlas was published by the Election Commission of India(ECI).
- The e-Atlas is available at https://eci.gov.in/ebooks/eci-atlas/index.html
General Elections 2019 – An Atlas:
i.The atlas has 42 thematic maps and 90 Tables that portray various features of the 2019 elections.
ii.This also features various facts, anecdotes and legal provisions related to the Indian Elections.
iii.The Atlas also compares the number of contesting candidates in the General Elections since 1951.
iv.It also compares the average number of electors per polling station in different states during 2014 & 2019 General Elections.
v.The 2019 General Election witnessed the participation of 61.468 crore voters at 10.378 lakh polling stations across India.
About Election Commission of India(ECI):
Chief Election Commissioner– Sushil Chandra
Election Commissioners– Anup Chandra Pandey & Rajiv Kumar
Headquarters– New Delhi
India & US launch Hydrogen Task ForceThe United States Department of Energy (DoE), the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India, and the US India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) jointly launched the US-India Hydrogen Task Force, under the US-India Strategic Energy Partnership (SEP).
- The Task Force aims to promote focused public, private cooperation among the two countries which will help in rapid development & deployment of hydrogen energy technologies. It will help in decarbonizing high-polluting industrial sectors and achieve a greener, cleaner planet.
- Maithani, Adviser to MNRE will lead the Task Force as the India Co-Chair while Dr. Ken Vincent will be the Co-Chair from the American side.
- The formation of the task force was announced by US Deputy Secretary of Energy, David M Turk in April 2021.
US-India Hydrogen Task Force
i.The Hydrogen Task Force will serve as a forum for thought leaders to achieve affordable hydrogen solutions.
ii.It will be organized into a Steering Committee at the Government level, an Industry council, and working groups or subcommittees in identified priority areas.
iii.Hydrogen which is considered as a clean fuel will be essential for India as it is looking to reduce its oil dependency. India imports 85% of its oil and 53% of gas demand.
About US India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF)
President & CEO – Dr. Mukesh Aghi
Head Office – Washington DC, USA
>>Read Full News
Union Cabinet approves Inland Vessels Bill 2021Minister of State (I/C) for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Mansukh Mandaviya stated that the Union Cabinet has approved the Inland Vessels Bill, 2021. The Bill aims to streamline vessels/ships which run on the 4,000 Kilometres of operational Inland Waterways in India.
- The Inland Vessels Bill, 2021 will replace the Inland Vessels Act, 1917.
Features of the Bill
i.It regulates the safety, security and registration of inland vessels and introduces a unified law for entire India, instead of separate rules framed by the states.
ii.The certificate of registration granted under the proposed law will be valid in all States & UTs, eliminating the need for getting separate permissions from the States.
iii.It provides a central database for recording the details of vessel, vessel registration, crew on an electronic portal. It also mandates all mechanically propelled vessels to be registered.
- Non-mechanically propelled vessels will have to be enrolled at district, taluk or panchayat or village level.
About Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW)
Minister of State (Independent Charge) – Mansukh Mandaviya (Rajya Sabha – Gujarat)
India, Japan conduct Bilateral Naval Exercise in Indian OceanIndian Navy (IN) and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) conducted a joint naval exercise at the Indian Ocean under the motive ‘Free and Open Indo-Pacific‘ (FOIP). The Indian side was represented by INS (Indian Naval Ship) Kulish (P63) while JS (Japanese Ship) Kashima (TV3508) and JS Setoyuki (TV3518) participated from the Japanese side.
What is FOIP a strategy?
It consists of 3 pillars:
i.Promotion and establishment of rule of law, freedom of navigation and free trade, etc.
ii.Pursuit of economic prosperity (improving connectivity, etc.)
iii.Commitment for peace and stability
Other Exercises between India-Japan:
i.Dharma Guardian: It is a Military Exercise.
ii.Malabar: It is a trilateral Naval Exercise between India, Japan and the United States (US)
iii.Japan–India Maritime bilateral exercise (JIMEX): It is also a Naval Exercise. In September 2020, IN and JMSDF conducted 4th edition of biennial JIMEX-2020 in the North Arabian Sea.
Forced People Displacement increased to 82.4 Million in 2020: UNHCR ReportAccording to the ‘Global Trends: Forced Displacement in 2020 Report’ released by United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – The number of people fleeing wars, violence, persecution, and human rights violations increased to nearly 82.4 million people in 2020, an increase of 3 million people compared to 79.5 million recorded at the end of 2019.
- Number of people facing Forced Displacement has increased despite COVID-19 related movement restrictions.
- The report states that more than 1% of the world’s population or 1 in 95 people are now forcibly displaced. This compares with 1 in 159 in 2010.
- This is the 9th straight annual increase in the number of people forcibly displaced.
Regions with Maximum Displacement
- Conflict and impact of Climate Change in places like Mozambique, Ethiopia’s Tigray region and Africa’s broad Sahel area were among the leading sources of new movements of refugees and internally displaced people in 2020.
- Turkey has taken in the most refugees in absolute numbers 3.7 million, followed by Colombia & Germany.
About United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
High Commissioner – Filippo Grandi
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
>>Read Full News
Narendra Singh Tomar addresses 42nd Session of FAO ConferenceUnion Minister for Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar addressed the 42nd session of Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Conference which took place virtually from June 14-18, 2021.
i.All the 193 members of the FAO plus the European Union endorsed the new Strategic Framework 2022-2031 which will support the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
ii.The conference elected Ambassador Hans Hoogeveen, the Permanent Representative of the Netherlands to UN Organizations in Rome, as the new Independent Chairperson of the Council (ICC) for the next two years (2021-23).
- He succeeds Khalid Mehboob of Pakistan.
iii.India thanked FAO for endorsing its proposal to declare 2023 as the International Year of Millets.
- The conference is the supreme governing body of the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and meets once in 2 years.
- The 42nd session of the Conference was the first one held virtually in history.
- The conference determines the strategies and policies of the Organization, approves the budget, and makes recommendations to Members on food and agriculture issues.
About Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Director-General – QU Dongyu
Headquarters – Rome, Italy
Members – 194
>>Read Full News
Health Minister Harsh Vardhan virtually addressed WHO Global TB ProgrammeUnion Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan participated in the high-level event on ‘Global Drive to Scale up TB Prevention’ virtually organized by WHO Global Tuberculosis Programme.
Purpose – Discussed on action taken globally to prevent Tuberculosis (TB) and achieving the 2022 United Nations High-Level Meeting (UNHLM) target on TB preventive treatment
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) targets to end TB globally by 2030.
- India targets to increase TB preventive treatment by 2022, develop TB Vaccine by 2023 and reach the goal of “End TB in India” by 2025.
i.India called for global community to devise TB Vaccine by 2023
ii.Launch of a multi-agency ‘call to action’ to scale up TB prevention & case finding.
Key Delegates – Tedros Adhanom, WHO Director-General; Tereza Kasaeva, Director, WHO Global TB Programme and Ariel Pablos Mendes, Chair, Strategic & Technical Advisory Group for TB(STAG-TB)
Dr. Robert Koch was the 1st to discover Tuberculosis disease being caused by the bacterium “Mycobacterium tuberculosis”
BCG vaccine is the most commonly used vaccine against Tuberculosis, which is given to newborn children within 10 weeks of child birth.
- India’s 1st TB Free Union Territory – Lakshadweep
- India’s 1st TB Free District – Budgam, Jammu & Kashmir
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI granted approval to CFSL for taking over PMC Bank via SFB routei.On June 18, 2021, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) granted in-principle approval to Centrum Financial Services Limited (CFSL) to set up a small finance bank (SFB).
ii.Through this SFB, Centrum will take over crisis-hit Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank (PMC) as a separate process.
iii.For the setting up of SFB, there will be capital infusion of Rs 1,800 crore by the Centrum Capital, holding entity for CFSL, and its partner BharatPe.
Chief executive officer (CEO)– Ashneer Grover
About Centrum Financial Services Limited:
Managing Director (MD) & CEO– Ranjan Ghosh
>>Read Full News
PayPoint India Signed pact with Banks, NBFCs for Lending ServicesPayPoint India, a technology-enabled distribution network of financial services, signed ‘lead generation agreements’ with 12 financial institutions viz, Punjab National Bank, ICICI Bank, Deutsche Bank, and Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) such as Bajaj Housing, Piramal Housing, and Hero Fincorp, among others.
- Objective: To assist with loans to the underserved using technology, and to generate leads for housing, personal and business loans through the partnership with banks and NBFCs.
- Under the agreement, PayPoint India will help the financial institutions to get access to the remote locations where they are unable to reach on their own, and provide capital.
- As per RBI data, under the loan category of Rs 1-10 lakh, businesses have borrowed only around Rs 94,000 crore (low when compared with the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of India), hence PayPoint India intends to address the gap.
About PayPoint India:
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD – Ketan C. Doshi
>>Read Full News
SEBI Issued – Norms for MF’s Participation over IRS; Framework for Supervisory Body of IAsThe Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has issued guidelines for the participation of Mutual Fund(MF) schemes in Interest Rate Swaps (IRS).
SEBI’s Guidelines to MF:
i.SEBI allowed MFs to enter into plain vanilla IRS for hedging purposes, but the value of the notional principal in such cases must not exceed the value of respective existing assets being hedged by the scheme.
ii.If the MF is entering into the IRS through counter transactions, the counterparty has to be an entity recognized as a market maker by Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
SEBI’s Framework for Supervisory Body of IAs:
i.On June 18, 2021, SEBI issued frameworks for the Investment Adviser Administration and Supervisory Body (IAASB).
ii.As per SEBI’s norms, it may recognise anybody or body corporate for the purpose of regulating IAs. An entity granted recognition under the investment advisers (IAs) rules by SEBI will be designated as – IAASB, and it will be allowed to administer and supervise the IAs.
About Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
Establishment – On April 12, 1992, in accordance with the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992.
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman – Ajay Tyagi
>>Read Full News
IDFC First Bank Launched COVID-19 Relief Program – ‘Ghar Ghar Ration’IDFC First Bank has launched an Employee-funded relief program named ‘Ghar Ghar Ration’, for its low-income customers whose livelihoods are affected due to COVID-19.
Features of Ghar Ghar Ration:
i.Under the program, a Customer COVID Care Fund was set from the contribution of the bank employees’ personal income (Employees contributed one day to one month’s salary).
ii.Ration kits will be supplied under the program to 50,000 COVID-19 affected low-income customers of IDFC FIRST Bank.
- The ration kits include the essentials that are needed to support a small family for about a month viz, 10 kg rice/ flour, 2 kg dal (lentils), 1 kg sugar and salt, 1 kg cooking oil, 5 packets of assorted spices, tea and biscuits, etc.
iii.The ration kits are delivered directly in-person to the customers in rural locations but in urban locations, pre-paid cards worth Rs 1800 were provided to the customers, which can be used by them to buy the essentials.
iv.Under the pilot program, 1000 ration kits are already distributed by the bank’s employees in Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Haryana. (overdue customers are also eligible under the program)
i.The bank has also launched an ‘Employee COVID Care Scheme 2021’ to support the families of employees who have lost their lives due to COVID-19.
ii.Along with these, the bank has also implemented Jankari-mein-Samajdhari Program, Oxygen Concentrator Donation Program, Gaon-Gaon Mask Program, Mask Distribution Program, and Cash Relief Support.
- Under the Cash Relief Support programme – the bank supported 250 vulnerable families who have lost an earning member of their family due to COVID-19 with cash relief support of Rs 10,000 in partnership with GiveIndia.
About IDFC FIRST Bank:
Establishment – IDFC Bank Ltd and Capital First Ltd merged on December 18, 2018, and formed the IDFC FIRST Bank.
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO – V Vaidyanathan
SEBI Imposed Rs 15 crore Fine on Franklin Templeton, 8 Others
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has imposed a cumulative fine of Rs 15 crore on 9 entities, including Franklin Templeton Trustee Services, senior officials and fund managers associated with the six debt schemes wound up by the Franklin Asset Management Company.
- Rs 3 crore fine on Franklin Templeton Trustee Services Pvt Ltd
- Rs 2 crore fine each on Franklin Asset Management (India) Pvt Ltd’s President Sanjay Sapre and Chief Investment Officer Santosh Kamat.
- Rs 1.5 crore each on Kunal Agarwal, Sumit Gupta, Pallab Roy, Sachin Padwal Desai and Umesh Sharma who were the fund managers for various Franklin Templeton schemes at the time of the violation.
- Rs 50 lakh fine on chief compliance officer Saurabh Gangrade
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
Wipro joined WEF’s Partnership for New Work Standards Initiative
Wipro Limited joined the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Partnership for New Work Standards initiative to establish a healthy, resilient and equitable future of work.
- The initiative aims to build human-first work standards by co-creating new frameworks, and utilizing tools and technologies.
- Wipro is also undertaking initiatives to support its people with dedicated programmes for physical, social, financial and mental well-being.
The WEF was established in 1971 with headquarters at Cologny, Switzerland.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Indian-American Sumita Mitra Won European Inventor Award 2021Indian-American chemist, Sumita Mitra won the European Patent Office’s (EPO) European Inventor Award 2021 under the Non-EPO countries category for her innovative dental filling invention using Nanotechnology. The 2021 European Inventor Award ceremony was held digitally.
Sumita Mitra’s Invention:
i.She was the 1st one to have successfully integrated nanotechnology into dental materials, and has invented stronger, durable & aesthetically pleasing dental fillings.
ii.The filling is developed by Mitra along with her team using a technique for creating linked clusters of nanoparticles or ‘nanoclusters’.
European Innovator Award: It is the Europe’s most prestigious award, was launched by EPO in 2006 and presented annually by it to honour individual and team inventors from Europe and beyond, who have made an exceptional contribution to society, technological progress and economic growth through their pioneering inventions.
About European Patent Office (EPO):
It is the world’s leading authority in patent information and patent searching.
Headquarters – Munich, Germany
President – António Campinos
>>Read Full News
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Antonio Guterres re-elected as UN Secretary General for 2nd 5-year term starting Jan 1, 2022On June 18, 2021, Antonio Manuel de Oliveira Guterres (72) aka Antonio Guterres, was re-elected as the Secretary General of United Nations (UN) for a 2nd 5-year term from January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2026.
- His appointment was made by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on the recommendation of the 15-nation UN Security Council (UNSC) and announced by the President of the 75th session of the UNGA, Volkan Bozkir.
- It should be noted that as per UN Charter, the Secretary-General is appointed by the UNGA on the recommendation of the UNSC.
About Antonio Guterres:
i.An ex-Prime Minister of Portugal from 1995 to 2002, he has been serving as the Secretary General since 2017.
ii.He is the 9th person to assume the position of UN Secretary General .
iii.He also served as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees from 2005 to 2015.
iv.Recently, he called for debt relief extension for middle-income countries amid COVID-19 crisis.
Points to be noted:
i.There has been no woman Secretary General in the UN’s 75-year history
ii.India has also supported the re-election of Antonio Guterres.
About United Nations (UN):
Members– 193 (India became its member on October 30, 1945)
Secretariat– New York, United States (US)
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
CARH, Carlyle’s Subsidiary Sold 5.1% Shares Worth Rs 4,811 Crore in SBI Card On June 18, 2021, Ca Rover Holdings(CARH), a subsidiary of Carlyle group sold its 5.1 percent shares in SBI Card and Payment Services Ltd (SBI Card) worth about Rs 4,811 crore through open market transactions on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and National Stock Exchange (NSE).
i.As of March 2021, Ca Rover Holdings held an 11.61 percent stake in the SBI Card. Through the sale of shares, Carlyle group’s shareholding in SBI Card fell below 10 percent.
ii.CARH has also withdrawn the nomination of Sunil Kaul as director from SBI Card’s board as its shareholding has fallen below 10 percent in the company.
iii.CARH offloaded 1.05 crore shares of SBI Card through a bulk deal valued at Rs 1,061.15 crore on BSE and it sold more than 3.74 crore shares on NSE through a separate deal worth Rs 3,749.81 crore.
iv.CARH’s Share Holding: Carlyle group had acquired a stake in SBI Card through CARH from the GE Group in 2017, it had sold over 4.25 percent stake for about Rs 3,943 crore through block deals and reduced its stake to 11.61 percent from 15.86 percent.
vi.Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs were the bankers to the deal.
v.Background: In March 2020, SBI Card came out with a Rs 9,000 crore Initial Public Offer(IPO), involving the sale of up to 37,293,371 shares by State Bank of India and up to 93,233,427 shares by Carlyle group (through CARH).
Note – SBI Card’s board approved the appointment of Mihir Narayan Prasad Mishra as a director nominated by the State Bank of India.
About Carlyle group:
Establishment – 1987
Headquarters – Washington, DC., United States
CEO – Kewsong Lee
About SBI Card:
It is the 2nd largest credit card issuer in India
Establishment – 1998
Headquarters – Gurgaon, Haryana
MD & CEO – Rama Mohan Rao Amara
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indo-French Researchers Developed New Way of Imaging Through Fog
A team of Indo-French researchers from various Indian institutions including Raman Research Institute (RRI – Bengaluru) and ISRO’s Space Applications Center (SAC) in Ahmedabad, and Université Paris-Saclay, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique(CNRS), France has developed a new improved imaging method to make a clear image of objects in foggy weather conditions.
- This work was partially funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research.
F1 Champion Michael Schumacher with 91 Wins is Out of Coma After 6 Years
Formula One(F1) Champion Michael Schumacher, a retired German racing driver who has recorded the most wins – 91, pole positions – 68 and Podium finishes – 155 has got out of coma after 6 years.
- He was placed under a medically induced coma after a head injury.
- He won 2 titles representing Benetton in 1994 and 1995 and won 5 titles (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004) representing Ferrari.
- Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton hold the record for the most World Drivers’ Championships with 7championship.
- He belonged to notable teams: Jordan, Benetton, Ferrari and Mercedes.
Indian sprinter Padma Shri Milkha Singh Passed Away Legendary Indian sprinter Padma Shri Milkha Singh, who is popularly known as ‘Flying Sikh’ in the athletic field, passed away at the age of 91 in Chandigarh. He was born on 20th November 1929 in Govindpura, Pakistan.
About Milkha Singh:
i.Milkha Singh represented India in the 1956 and 1964 Olympics and in the 1960 Olympic games held in Rome, Italy and completed 4th at the 400m race.
ii.This remained a national record for around 40 years which was surpassed by athlete Paramjeet Singh in 1998.
iii.He has won four Asian Golds and he also won India’s first-ever Track and Field Commonwealth Games Gold in the 400 meters race at the Commonwealth Games held in 1958 in Cardiff.
iv.The Government of India honoured him with the Padma Shri in 1959 for Sports.
Indonesian badminton player, Olympic gold medallist Markis Kido passes away
Indonesian badminton player Markis Kido, an Olympic doubles gold medallist, has passed away at the age of 36 years due to a heart attack. He had won the 2008 Olympic gold medal, 2006 World Cup and 2007 World Championships titles with Hendra Setiawan.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Monk in a Merc” – Neurologist Ashok Panagariya’s Memoir to be released Posthumously“Monk in a Merc”, the memoir of famous Indian Neurologist and Padma Shri awardee Dr. Ashok Pangariya is set to release on 28th June 2021. The book gets released after the demise of Dr. Ashok Pangariya who passed away in June 2021.
- The book talks of his life and experience in achieving eternal happiness and mental peace while pursuing all of life’s luxuries and professional success.
About Ashok Panagariya:
i.Ashok Pangariya was a Neurologist and previously served as the vice chancellor of Rajasthan University of Health Sciences
ii.He is the younger brother of Arvind Panagariya, the 1st Vice Chairman of NITI Ayog
Note – The book, “My Father: The Extraordinary Story of an Ordinary Man” authored by Arvind Panagariya got released in June 2021
- He received Dr. B. C. Roy Award, the highest Indian award for Medicine, in 2002
- India’s 4th Highest Civilian award, Padma Shri in 2014
- He also received the UNESCO Award for medical contributions
26th National Reading Day – 19th June 2021The National Reading Day is annually observed across India on 19th June to encourage reading among the students across India. The day also marks the death anniversary of Puthuvayil Narayana Panicker(P.N.Panicker), who was known as “Kerala’s Father of Library Movement”.
19th June 2021, marks the celebration of the 26th National Reading Day.
- The National Reading Day, Reading Week and Reading Month is observed by the PN Panicker Foundation, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
Reading Week and Reading Month:
India will celebrate June 19 to 25, the week following the National Reading Day(19th June), as Reading week and June 19th to July 18th will be celebrated as Reading Month.
i.The National Reading Day was started as the Reading Day in 1996 by the Government of Kerala along with the P.N. Panicker Foundation.
ii.The first National Reading Day was celebrated on 19th June 1996, the first annual remembrance day of P.N. Panicker.
About P N Panicker Foundation:
P N Panicker Foundation, the mother organization of P N Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra was established during the 84th birth anniversary of P N Panicker under the Chairmanship of Justice V R Krishna Iyer.
Headquarters– Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
>>Read Full News
International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict 2021 – June 19 The United Nations (UN)’s International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is annually observed across the globe on 19th June to create awareness about the needs to end the conflict-related sexual violence, to honour the victims and survivors of sexual violence around the world.
- The day also pays tribute to the people who have contributed their lives to eradicate conflict-related sexual violence.
- 2021 marks the 7th observance of the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict.
The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/69/293 on 19 June 2015 and proclaimed the 19th June of every year as the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict.
>>Read Full News
World Sickle Cell Day 2021 – 19th JuneWorld Sickle Cell Day, also known as World Sickle Cells Awareness Day, is annually observed across the globe on 19th June to raise awareness about sickle cell disorders, the most frequent genetic disease across the globe.
The World Sickle Cell Day 2021 will be jointly organised by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization(UNESCO), Congo Assistance Foundation, the Permanent Delegation of Congo to UNESCO and the Sickle Cell Disease International Organisation (SCDIO).
- The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/63/237 on 22 December 2008 and recognised sickle cell anaemia as a public health problem.
- Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is a group of inherited red blood cell disorders. The people with SCD have sticky red blood cells which look like a C-shaped farm tool called a “sickle”.
Events in India:
Arjun Munda, Minister of Tribal Affairs virtually inaugurated the 2nd National Sickle Cell Conclave on ‘Sickle Cell Disease’, as a part of the celebration of World Sickle Cell Day.
>>Read Full News
Bihar CM launches 2 schemes to promote Entrepreneurship among Youth & WomenBihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar virtually launched 2 new schemes namely ‘Mukhyamantri Mahila Udyami Yojana (MMUY)’ & ‘Mukhyamantri Yuva Udyami Yojana (MYUY)’ to promote entrepreneurship among women and youth of all sections under the state’s ‘MukhyaMantri Udyami Yojana’ scheme.
Mukhyamantri Mahila Udyami Yojana (MMUY)
Under MMUY, an unemployed woman will be provided a sum of INR 10 lakh for starting a new business or small industry.
- Out of INR 10 lakh, INR 5 lakh would be a subsidy amount which the woman does not need to return, while the remaining INR 5 lakh will be an interest-free loan.
Mukhyamantri Yuva Udyami Yojana (MYUY)
Under the scheme, an unemployed youth will be provided a sum of INR 10 lakh to start a new enterprise or industry.
- Out of the total INR 10 lakh, INR 5 lakh will be the subsidy amount (which they need not return), the rest INR 5 lakh will be a loan on simple interest of 1%, to be returned in many installments.
Governor– Phagu Chauhan
>>Read Full News
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 20 & 21 June 2021|
|1||India, Bhutan sign MoU to develop cooperation in areas of Environment|
|2||ECI Released ‘General Elections 2019 India – An Atlas’|
|3||India & US launch Hydrogen Task Force|
|4||Union Cabinet approves Inland Vessels Bill 2021|
|5||India, Japan conduct Bilateral Naval Exercise in Indian Ocean|
|6||Forced People Displacement increased to 82.4 Million in 2020: UNHCR Report|
|7||Narendra Singh Tomar addresses 42nd Session of FAO Conference|
|8||Health Minister Harsh Vardhan virtually addressed WHO Global TB Programme|
|9||RBI granted approval to CFSL for taking over PMC Bank via SFB route|
|10||PayPoint India Signed pact with Banks, NBFCs for Lending Services|
|11||SEBI Issued – Norms for MF’s Participation over IRS; Framework for Supervisory Body of IAs|
|12||IDFC First Bank Launched COVID-19 Relief Program – ‘Ghar Ghar Ration’|
|13||SEBI Imposed Rs 15 crore Fine on Franklin Templeton, 8 Others|
|14||Wipro joined WEF’s Partnership for New Work Standards Initiative|
|15||Indian-American Sumita Mitra Won European Inventor Award 2021|
|16||Antonio Guterres re-elected as UN Secretary General for 2nd 5-year term starting Jan 1, 2022|
|17||CARH, Carlyle’s Subsidiary Sold 5.1% Stake Shares Worth Rs 4,811 Crore in SBI Card|
|18||Indo-French Researchers Developed New Way of Imaging Through Fog|
|19||F1 Champion Michael Schumacher with 91 Wins is Out of Coma After 6 Years|
|20||Indian sprinter Padma Shri Milkha Singh Passed Away|
|21||Indonesian badminton player, Olympic gold medallist Markis Kido passes away|
|22||Monk in a Merc – Neurologist Ashok Panagariya’s Memoir to be released Posthumously|
|23||26th National Reading Day – 19th June 2021|
|24||International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict 2021 – June 19|
|25||World Sickle Cell Day 2021 – 19th June|
|26||Bihar CM launches 2 schemes to promote Entrepreneurship among Youth & Women|