United States based multinational corporation IBM has announced that it will create a new “Internet of Things (IoT)” unit and will invest USD 3 billion over four years to build on it. The main purpose of the unit is to construct industry-specific data services and developer tools and offer them over a Cloud-based open platform to its enterprise customers.
These services and tools will benefit the business clients all over the world mainly to integrate the data from the IoT and other usual sources and help them to make better business decisions. The Cloud based services will assist manufacturers to design and produce a new generation of devices that are apt for IoT.
IBM has announced a partnership with the business-to-business division of The Weather Company, owner of The Weather Channel.
What is IoT?
- IoT refers to a network of devices which are rooted with electronic sensors and data transmitting technologies and connected over the internet.
- By using the Internet the data collected by sensors in a device can be transmitted to other networked devices and systems.
- The technology goes beyond machine-to-machine communications (M2M) and covers a variety of protocols, domains, and applications.
Knowledge is Wealth
- IBM stands for International Business Machines.
- IBM was founded by Charles Ranlett Flint in 1911.
- Ginny Rometty is the current Chairman, President, and CEO of IBM.
- The Headquarters of IBM is at New York.
- Watson, an artificial intelligence computer system, which is capable of answering questions posed in natural language,was developed by IBM.