[dropcap]D[/dropcap]ear Readers, We cover some important news in Bulletin Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Brief News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful for upcoming exam.
- Anti-Submarine Warefare ship Kavaratti launched in kolkata
- Indian PM gifts woven pashmina stoles to Korean President
- International Clinical Trials Day – May 20th 2015
- Economist Mrinal Datta Chaudhuri passed away
- Hungarian author Laszlo Krasznahorkai wins Man Booker International Prize
- Delhi government to launch Pay and Play scheme to promote sports
- Prestigious Radcliffe fellowship by Harvard university- Shivani Agarwal and Maharaja Pandit selected
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates 50th anniversary of India’s first historic climb of Mt. Everest in 1965
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 50th Anniversary of India’s first historic climb of Mt. Everest in 1965 at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- This function was organized by the Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF) to celebrate the historic climb of Mt. Everest in 1965 by an Indian team led by Captain Mohan Singh Kohli.
- On this day in 1965, Indian team of 21 mountaineers led by Captain M S Kohli of Indian Navy had successfully climbed world’s highest peak Mt. Everest (8848 m) after a series of three unsuccessful attempts in five years.
Tathagata Roy sworn-in as 16th Governor of Tripura
- Tathagata Roy on 20 May 2015 was sworn in as the 16th Governor of Tripura in Agartala.
- Chief Justice of the Tripura High Court Mr. Jc. Deepak Gupta administered the oath of office to him as per the provisions of Article 159 of Constitution of India.
- He replaced Padmanabh Balkrishna Acharya, Governor of Nagaland, who had held the additional charge of Tripura.
SBI inks pact with Amazon for payment
- State Bank of India today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with e-commerce player Amazon to develop payment and commerce solutions for customers and small businesses.
- The idea of the MoU is that we can try and give customers a good experience in both buying and selling,” SBI Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya told reporters.
Apple acquires GPS firm Coherent Navigation
- Apple Inc. has acquired Coherent Navigation, a Bay Area Global Positioning System (GPS) startup, in an apparent effort to boost its mapping technology and services.
- A number of Coherent’s key employees, including its CEO Paul Lego, also recently began working for the Cupertino-based technology giant.
Bachchans invest in Ziddu.com
- Actor Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek Bachchan have invested $125,000 each in Ziddu.com, a Singapore-based website owned by Meridian Tech Pte Ltd.
- The $250,000 investment will fetch them a small, minority stake in the company whose valuation is around $ 71 million.
- A free cloud storage and e-distribution and micro payment platform founded by Venkata Srinivas Meenavalli, it has a development centre in Hyderabad.
12th South Asian Games 2015 to be held in Kerala
- 12th South Asian Games 2015 to be held in Kerala in November-December this year.75
- The Indian Olympic Association has allotted the 12th South Asian Games 2015 to Kerala to be held in November-December this year
- Kerala also hosted 35th National Games, which was held between January 31 to February 14.
South Asian Games –
- The South Asian Games (SAF Games, SAG, or SA games, & formerly known as South Asian Federation Games) are a bi-annual multi-sport event held among the athletes from South Asia.
- The governing body of these games is South Asian Sports Council (SASC), formed in 1983.
- At present, SAG are joined by eight members namely Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India,Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.
- The first South Asian Games were hosted by Kathmandu, Nepal in 1984 and have since been held every two years except for some occasions.
Actress Sudha Shivpuri passed away
- Veteran actress Sudha Shivpuri, who became a household name after essaying the role of ‘Baa’ in popular TV show “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi”, passed away.She was 77.
- She began her acting career at an early age in 1977 with Basu Chatterjee’s film Swami.
- She also acted in films like Hamari Bahu Alka, Insaaf Ka Tarazu, Vidhaata, Sawan Ko Aane Do, Burning Train, Maya Memsaab and Pinjar based on Amrita Pritam’s famous partition novel.