On Tuesday,19th May 2015, Dr Mrinal Datta Chaudhuri aged 81, breathed his last at his Pune residence. He was famous for his lively lectures on subject of economics and inspired many younger generations at Delhi School of Economics. Cardiac arrest was said to be the cause for his sudden demise. Mr Mrinal Datta had moved from New Delhi to Pune seven years back to live with his brother as climate in New Delhi was tough on his health.
- Dr Mrinal Datta works had great influence on the former PM of India Mr Manmohan Singh.
- One important paper he wrote was on challenges of economic reform in the contest of both State and market failures in 1990.
- It was written by Dr mrinal just before collapse of Soviet union and India’s move towards globalization.
- Dr Mrinal Datta was a policy advisor in former congress led UPA government and he was also a part of unofficial think tank and helped in guiding in the 1991 policy reforms .
- Dr Mrinal Datta taught students economic theory, planning and transport economics..
- Apart from being a policy advisor and teacher he was also an activist and a raconteur
Some information on Dr Mrinal Datta
- Dr Mrinal Datta was born in kolkata, India.
- He was also known as MDC and studied with Nobel Prize winner Amartya Sen in Shantiniketan.
- His further studies were completed at Kolkata’s Presidency College and did his PhD from MIT,USA.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2005 for his contributions in Trade and Industry.
- He was Director at Delhi School of Economics..
Delhi School of Economics DSE– some details
- DSE is a centre for postgraduate learning affiliated to University of Delhi.
- It is also called by name Dschool.
- DSE was established in the year1949.
- The 4 major departments in this DSE are Economics,Geography, Sociology and Commerce.
- Some famous faculty members of DSE are Amartya Sen,Manmohan Singh,Kaushik Basu etc.
- DSE famous alumni members are PranoyRoy, Ramachandra Guha,Prabhu chawla etc
Massachusetts Institute Of Technology MIT
- MIT is a private research university in Cambridge,Massachusetts,USA.
- Founded in the year 1861.
- Chancellor is Cynthia Barnhart.
- President is Rafael Reif.