Prestigious Man Booker International Prize for the year 2015 has been won by author Laszlo Krasznahorkai of Hungary.He was chosen from 10 contenders all over the world. He was awarded at a ceremony that took place in London on May 20th 2015.
- Mr Krasznahorkais novels are complex in nature where a single sentence would extend to a page.
- They deal with dystopian and apocalyptic themes where a forthcoming civilisational crisis threatens the world.
- His novels include Satantango, The Melancholy of Resistance , Seiobo Down Below.
- Satantango was later made into a film with the help of Hungarian filmmaker Bela Tarr.
- In the 1990s Laszlo spent more times in countries like Mongolia, China Japan etc and his writings had aesthetics and literature of these countries.
- Dame Marina Warner, Chairperson of the judging panel praised Laszlo being visionary writer of extraordinary intensity and vocal range.
- Mr George Szrites, translator of Mr Laszlo, was awarded translator prize of 15,000 pounds.
Laszlo Krasznahorkai- some informations
- Laszlo was born in the year 1954 in Hungary.
- He became popular in 1985 when his novel Satantango was published.
- He was awarded in 1993, Bestenliste-Prize of Germany for his novel Melancholy of Resistance .
- The Kossuth Prize, the most prestigious cultural award was given to him in 2004.
Man Booker International Prize- facts and figures
- It is a award given in recognition to achievement in fiction.
- The prize money is 60,000 pounds.
- It is a biennial award given to a living author for their contribution to fiction in English or works that are available in translation in English language.
- Man Group plc sponsors the entire award.
- This prize is different as it showcases a writers overall contributions to fiction.
- The judges give their judgement based on the writer’s body of work rather than on single novel..
- Some of its past winners are Ismail Kadare of Albania, Chinua Achebe from Nigeria Americans Philip Roth and Lydia Davis and Canadian Alice Munro.