Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
- Union Government sanctioned 1000 crore rupees for Indo-Bangla Rail Link
- Maharashtra govt to develop six solar cities targeting solar capacity of 7,500 MW
World’s largest flower Amorphophallus Titanum bloomed at Jindai Botanical Gardens in Tokyo
- World’s largest flower ‘Amorphophallus Titanum’ bloomed for the first time in 5 years in the fourth week of July 2015 at the Jindai botanical gardens in Tokyo, Japan.
- The flower Titan arum measuring 2-meter (6.5 feet) in height rarely flowers and is notoriously difficult to propagate.
- Titan Arum – a herbaceous plant – blooms rarely (maybe three or four times in its forty-year life) and that too only for two or three days.
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has classified the species as “vulnerable” just below endangered.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Cyient acquires Singapore based Global Services Engineering from Pratt & Whitney
- Hyderabad based Cyient Limited which provides engineering, data analytics, networks and operations solutions has acquired Singapore-based Global Services Engineering Asia from Pratt & Whitney Services Pte Ltd.
- Pratt & Whitney, a United Technologies company has a global network of engine service facilities and broad portfolio of service solutions it has 20 maintenance, repair and operation (MRO) locations worldwide. The Singapore site provides repairs, development and validation for aero gas turbine engine components in support of Pratt & Whitney throughout the region.
- Through the acquisition Cyient Limited intends to expand its aerospace service in Asia-Pacific region as Cyient has built a strong presence over the years in mechanical and manufacturing engineering, specifically in aerospace engineering, as well as software, systems and electronics
- Cyient Asia Pacific is headquartered in Melbourne, Australia
Rajesh Exports buys Valcambi for Rs. 2560 crore
- Jewellery firm Rajesh Exports fully acquired Switzerland-headquartered gold refinery Valcambi for $400 million (approx Rs 2,560 crore) in an all cash deal.
- Valcambi was owned by Newmont mining corporation and a group of Swiss investors.
- The deal will help Rajesh Exports secure raw material supplies and will add to earnings per share.
- Rajesh Exports, the world’s largest gold jewellery maker, will next year raise the capacity of its Indian refinery to 200 tonnes per year from 80 tonnes
- Valcambi has the capacity to refine as much as 1,600 tonnes of gold a year, nearly double India’s annual consumption.
- India is the world’s biggest consumer of gold, with annual demand hovering around 900 tonnes per year.
BEL bags Dun Bradstreet’s India’s Top PSUs Awards 2015
- Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has bagged the Dun & Bradstreet’s ‘India’s Top PSUs Awards 2015 in the electrical and electronic equipment sector.
- S K Sharma, Chairman and Managing Director, BEL, received the award for BEL along with Anandi Ramalingam, General Manager -National Marketing, BEL, from R M Malla, Chairman, Smera Ratings Limited, at Delhi.
- The Dun & Bradstreet ‘India’s Top PSUs Awards are an acknowledgement for the critical role that the PSUs play in the development of the Indian economy.
- BEL has been at the forefront in providing critical communication, night vision, electronic warfare and radar systems to the Indian Defence services ever since its inception post Independence in 1954.
Anand Krishnamurthy appointed CEO and MD of CSB bank
Anand Krishnamurthy is now the new MD and CEO of Catholic Syrian Bank (CSB) replacing Rakesh Bhatia who had quit due to personal reason. This appointment was done by the board of directors of CSB among the three named sent to RBI.
About The Catholic Syrian Bank (CSB):
The Catholic Syrian Bank is 94 year old private sector bank founded on 26th November 1920. It has its strong base in Kerala along with significant presence in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra. Recently it has filed for an IPO for 400 crore rupees.
A K Balyan to head Reliance Group’s Oil & Gas Business
- Ashok Kumar Balyan, former chief executive of Petronet LNG Ltd, has joined Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group as CEO of its Oil & Gas Business.
Banking & Finance
Axis Bank signs $200-mn loan agreement with ADB
- Axis Bank today signed a USD 200-million, seven-year bilateral loan agreement with the Asian Development Bank.
- The loan will help bolster bank’s efforts to improve farm efficiency by extending customised and affordable agriculture credit, that will help leverage its semi-urban and rural branch network to deliver agriculture credit.
Tillakaratne Dilshan becomes 4th Sri Lankan to get past 10,000-run mark in ODIs
- Sri Lankan opener Tillakaratne Dilshan on Sunday joined an elite club of cricketers by crossing the 10,000 ODI run-mark during the 5th ODI against Pakistan at Hambantota.
- The stylish right-hander has now become 11th batsman overall and the fourth Sri Lankan to cross the mark of 10,000 runs in 50-overs cricket.
- Before Dilshan, only three Islanders — Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya and Mahela Jayawardene — have managed to achieve the feat.
Sebastian Vettel wins Hungarian Grand Prix 2015
- Ferrari’s driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany won the 2015 Hungarian Grand Prix of Formula One (F1).
- Sebastian Vettel is a four-time world champion it was his 41st career win and first since the Malaysian GP in the second race of this season.
- Vettel dedicated his win to Jules Bianchi, the French driver who died last week at the age of 25 from injuries sustained in a head-on crash at the Japanese GP last October.
- A minute’s silence was held in honor of Bianchi before the race, with drivers forming a ring and placing their race helmets on the ground.
British Cyclist Chris Froome Wins Tour De France
- Britain’s Chris Froome won the 102nd edition of the Tour de France, his second victory in the cycling marathon.
- It was Team Sky’s third Tour triumph in four years after Bradley Wiggins prevailed in 2012 before Froome succeeded him in 2013.
- The Tour de France is an annual multiple stage bicycle race primarily held in France, while also occasionally making passes through nearby countries.
- It is currently run by the Amaury Sport Organisation. The prestigious cycle race is 3 week-long, traditionally held every year in the month of July and covers around 3,500 kms.
Pro Wrestling League launched in presence of Sushil Kumar
- Double Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar and other star grapplers gave their stamp of approval as wrestling today joined the league bandwagon with WFI and Pro-Sportify announcing the launch of Pro Wrestling League (PWL)