R S(Ram Sewak) Sharma who is secretary in Department of electronics and information & Technology in which he experienced with crucial telecom issues is appointed as a new chief of Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India(TRAI) from 2015 to 2017 succeeding Rahul khullar who is the first chief of TRAI, which is vacant from may 2015 after the retirement of Rahul kullar.
R S Sharma has taken the credit in designing roadmap for government project Digital India programme and developing digital service like digital locker.
Sharma had worked with Nabadn Nilakeni on Aadhaar card project as he was director of Unique Identification Authority of India.He also worked in the economic affairs and dealt with bilateral and multi development agencies like the Asian Development bank and World Bank.
Taking his appointment he had to face some challenges like issue of net neutrality and work on improving quality of service by telecom operators across the country to address frequent call drops.
ABOUT RS SHARMA:
- R S Sharma born in a small village of uttarpradesh .He completed his Bachelor of Science(BSc) from University of Allahabad.
- Coming to his masters he completed his masters in mathematics from IIT ,Kanpur.Again in 2000 he went to Univeristy of California ,riverside for doing Masters in Computer Science.
- RS Sharma is a 1978 batch IAS Officer of Jharkhand cadre.
- He worked in six departments in the past seven years and was transferred nine times in a span of six years in Jharkhand.
- In 2008 he got Prime Minister’s Award for excellence in Public Administration.
- TRAI was established on February 20, 1997 by an Act of Parliament to regulate telecom services and tariffs in India.
- Per the “Telecom regulatory Authority of India (Amendment) Act, 2000”, the authority shall have no more than two full-time and two part-time members.
- Headquarters – New Delhi, India