Former Indian president and eminent scientist APJ(Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen) Abdul kalam(1931-2015) who is India’s 11th president of India died at 83 on 27th july(Monday) evening at a hospital in meghalaya ,where he had gone to deliver a lecture.
Kalam collapsed at IIM shillong at about 6.52 pm while he was delivering a lecture.He was rushed to a nearby private hospital at Nongrim hills where doctors pronounced him dead.
Government has decided to declare national mourning for seven days as a mark of respect for late former president abdul kalam.
Kalam,who served as the 11th president of India from 2002 to 2007 , was born in Rameswaram ,Tamil Nadu on 15th October 1931 .
A bright student, his interest in flying led to a degree in aeronautical engineering, Kalam was closely involved in the country’s civilian space programme and military missile development efforts, earning him the sobriquet ‘India’s Missile Man’. He worked as a scientist and science administrator, mainly at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) before he became president.
He was also the author of 10 books. His autobiography, Wings of Fire, written in 1999, had been a best seller.
APJ Abdul Kalam was conferred with the prestigious Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honor in 1997.
Some of his famous writings:
- Transcendence My Spiritual Experiences with Pramukh Swamiji
- You Are Born To Blossom: Take My Journey Beyond by A P J Abdul Kalam and Arun Tiwari;
- Turning Points: A journey through challenges by A P J Abdul Kalam; Harper Collins India,
- My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actionsby A P J Abdul Kalam
- India 2020:A Vision for the New Millenniumby A P J Abdul Kalam, Y S Rajan
- Wings of fire:An Autobiographyby A P J Abdul Kalam, Arun Tiwari; Universities Press.
- Ignited minds:Unleashing the Power Within Indiaby A P J Abdul Kalam; Viking.
“He inspired and will be an insipiration for many generations .”
We Miss a Legend-RIP Abdul Kalam