Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Gov Is Launching Its Own Operating System ‘BOSS’ To Replace Microsoft Windows
- Cabinet approved the promulgation of Negotiable Instruments Act
Cabinet agrees creation of posts of directors for 4 new NIDs
- Union Cabinet has agreed to create four posts of directors for four new National Institute of Design (NIDs) at,
- Kurukshetra – Haryana
- Bhopal – Madhya Pradesh
- Jorhat – Assam
- Vijayawada – Andhra Pradesh
- According to, National Design Policy 2007, this decision was taken by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Cabinet has already approved the financial suggestions including the salaries of these 4 new National Institute of Design (NID) directors.
- Chairman of National Institute of Design (NID):Anand Mahindra
- Headquarters of (NID):Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Centre to discontinue stamps of Indira and Rajiv Gandhi
- Government decides to withdraw postal stamps of the former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi which comes under “Builders of Modern India” theme.
- Union Minister, Ravi Sankar Prasad said, stamps should not focus on just one family but honour everyone who contributed to the making of India.
- As per the advice of Philatelic Advisory Committee, it was decided to issue a definitive series of stamps to represent the diversity of India.
The revised list which comes under “Makers of India” theme includes
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Bhagat Singh
- Jawaharlal Nehru
- Mother Teresa
- Sardar Patel
- Maulana Azad
- Subhas Chandra Bose
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- Jayaprakash Narayan
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay
- Syama Prasad Mookerjee
- Ram Mahohar Lohia
- Rabindranath Tagore
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- Maharana Pratap
- Shivaji and others.
EPFO raises PF insurance amount to Rs. 6 lakh
- Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has decided to increase the Employees Deposit Linked Insurance (EDLI) scheme from the current Rs 3.60 lakh to Rs 6 lakh.
- The Apex decision making body of EPFO, Central Board of Trustees (CBT) has taken the decision at 208th CBT meeting in Hyderabad.
- CBT has also removed the condition of continuous employment of one year in a company by the contributors.
- Employees Deposit Linked Insurance (EDLI) scheme will benefit four crore members of the EPFO.
- Union labour minister Bandaru Dattatreya has also launched an EPF mobile app recently that would enable subscribers to access their Provident Fund (PF) details through their smart phones.
Govt mulls raising FDI limit in private banks to 100%
- Seeking to further relax foreign investment norms, the government is considering increasing the foreign direct investment (FDI) limit in private banks to 100%, from the existing 74%.
- The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has sent a proposal to hike the FDI limit in the private banking industry to the Department of Financial Services for its comments.
- Currently, 74% FDI is permitted in the private sector banking, of which up to 49% is allowed under the automatic route and beyond that through the approval of the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB).
Google celebrates 100th birthday of M.F. Husain
- Internet Search Giant, Google celebrates 100th birthday of the famed Indian Artist, M.F.Husain.
- Maqbool Fida Husain has been also called “The Picasso of India”.
- M.F.Husain was born on 17th September in Pandharpur, Maharashtra and died at the age of 95 on June 9, 2011.
- He was also a photographer, filmmaker and cartoonist.
- He was honoured with Padma Shri, Padma Bhusan and also Padma Vibhushan.
- He received the National Film Award for Best Experimental Film for “Through The Eyes of a Painter”.
- He directed “Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities”, which was screened in the Marché du Film section of the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.
- Nepal approves new constitution
- India, Cambodia ink 2 MoUs for bilateral cooperation in Tourism, Mekong Ganga Project
- Pentagon creates India Rapid Reaction Cell (IRRC)
Banking & Finance
Awards and Recognition
- Aqeela Asifi, 2015 Nansen Refugee Award winner
- Journalists from 4 Countries to Get Press Freedom Awards
Cricketer Shivnarine Chanderpaul receives Icon Award
- Former West Indies captain, 41-year old, Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been awarded with the Icon Award by the Indo-Caribbean Alliance in a ceremony which was held in Flushing, New York recently.
- He was one of the four members honoured with this Icon Award. The other three members were television personality Lakshmee Singh, New York City council member Eric Ulrich and businessman Dave Kadernauth.
- Shivnarine Chanderpaul is the first Indo-Caribbean to play 100 Tests for West Indies.
Mandeep Jangra receives Arjuna Award from Sports Minister
- Indian Amateur boxer, 22 year-old Mandeep Jangra received the Arjuna Award from the Sports Minister, Sarbananda Sonawal.
- Mandeep Jangra failed to receive the award on August 29, National Sports Day from the President Pranab Mukherjee. At that time Jangra was participating at the Doha 2015 World Boxing Championships.
- Award carries a bronze statue of Arjuna, cash prize of 5lakh and a certificate.
- He won the silver medal at the both 2013 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships and at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
Anupam Kher receives Certificate of Recognition in US
- Actor, Anupam Kher gets Certificate of Recognition from the California legislature for his dedicated efforts to the community of 500,000 Kashmiri Hindus.
- He receives this “Certificate of Recognition” for the recognition as an ambassador for change, champion in achieving gender equality, rights of women and a protector of human rights.
- Along with this recognition, the actor gets the “Honoured Guest” award of US state of Texas for his achievements in cinema and art, and also September 10 was declared as ‘Anupam Kher Day’ in Las Vegas.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Suvidhaa Infoserve buys AasaanPay’s MPoS
- Axis Bank’s Business Correspondent (BC) Suvidhaa Infoserve buys Aasaan Pay, the first Indian mobile Point of Sale (MPoS) technology platform.
- Mumbai based Payment Management Company Suvidhaa Infoserve has acquired a Mobile Point of Sale device, along with its intellectual property rights which was developed by Sainath Gupta, Pruthvi Sabbu and Shashank Sahni of Aasaan Pay.
- It is a device which can be connected to a mobile phone via Bluetooth and then be used for transactions of credit card as well as debit card.
- According to Paresh Rajde, founder of Suvidhaa Infoserve, India has 650 million cards but just 2 lakh ATMs and 10 lakh PoS outlets. It will access 15 crore cards that are issued under PM Jan Dhan Yojana.
Hero Cycles buys Firefox Bikes
- Punjab based Hero cycles has bought Firefox Bikes for an undisclosed sum of deal. Hero Cycles has acquired 100% stake in Firefox Bikes
- According to Pankaj Munjal, Chairman and MD at Hero Cycles, “We are extremely proud to have Firefox Bikes, which is one of the most recognized brands in the premium cycle segment, as part of the Hero Cycles family.”
- Currently, The Company has 70 different models of Firefox Bikes which will operate as a distinct brand under Hero Cycles.
- Shiv Inder Singh will continue to serve as the CEO of Firefox Bikes.
- Hero cycles has also announced that it would setup a “Hero innovation Centre” to upgrade its upcoming Cycles.
China renovates 2000-year-old Ashoka Stupa
- China has renovated a 2000-year-old Ashoka Stupa in a remote town of Tibet which was one of the 19 stupas built with Lord Buddha’s relics sent by Emperor Ashoka to China.
- This 2000-year-old Ashoka Stupa made a symbol of the Buddhism arrival from India to China.
- The renovated stupa and Ashoka pillar along with a huge golden statue of Buddha was sanctified by Gyalwang Drukpa, the spiritual head of Drukpa lineage of Buddhism based on Ladakh.
- It is to be considered as a rare visit of an Indian Buddhist leader to Tibet.
Shot putter Manpreet Kaur shattered 18-year-old national record
- Railways shot putter Manpreet Kaur on 16 September 2015 shattered an 18-year-old national record en route to a sixth title at the 55th National Open Athletics Championship at Kolkata.
- Patiala-based shot putter broke the record of Harbans Kaur of 17.43 metres that came in 1997 by throwing 17.96 metres in her second attempt to claim the gold medal, a hat-trick of titles at the National Open.
- With this, Manpreet Kaur (25) also qualified for the Rio 2016 Olympics that is scheduled to be held from 5 August to 21 August 2016.
- The IAAF entry standard for 2016 Rio Olympics in women’s shot put is 17.80m, while the top three in London 2012 Olympics threw 20m plus.
South African boxer Mzwanele Kompolo dies after title fight
- South African boxer Mzwanele Kompolo was knocked out in the first round of a fight in the Eastern Cape and went into a coma.
- The Sports Ministry has announced that Mzwanele Kompolo died in the hospital of Frere in the Eastern Cape Province.
- The sports ministry of South Africa is still investigating the death of female boxer Phindile Mwelase who was died after fight in last year.
- In this week another one boxer David Browne of Australia died in hospital after of IBFsuper-featherweight regional title.