Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Govt. to raise wage eligibility limit for Bonus
- Union Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya announced that the Centre has decided to raise the wage eligibility limit to 21,000 per month as against Rs 10,000 or below at present under the Payment of Bonus Act.
- In addition to that, the minimum amount of bonus to be paid would be raised from the existing 3,500 to Rs. 7,000 per month.
- As per the sources, these were prepared two months ago and were supposed to be introduced in the last session of Parliament.
Venezuelan film wins Top Honour at Venice Film Festival
- A Venezuelan film From Afar (Desde Alla) has won the top award The Golden Lion prize at the Venice film festival and became the first ever Latin American film to receive such an honour.
- It’s a directorial debut of Lorenzo Vigas in which he tells the story of a rich man who gets sexually involved with a young man from one of the city’s gangs. It is based on a story “21 Grams” written by Guillermo Arriaga.
- The jury was headed by the Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron of Gravity.
- Fabrice Luchini was adjudged Best Actor with Italy’s Valeria Golino as the Best Actress.
- Apart from this, The Silver Lion for Best Director went to Argentinian moviemaker, Pablo Trapero, for the gripping kidnap drama, The Clan and Venice’s Grand Jury Prize went to the American animation feature film, Anomalisa. The Special Jury Prize was clinched by Emin Alper’s Frenzy.
MoRTH to add 50000km of roads to National Highways (NH)
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways will add 50,000km of roads to National Highways in next six Month.
- Earlier, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has added about 7000km of roads to National Highways.
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has announced that it to take 5 lakh Km by the end of this year.
- Secretary of Road Transport and Highways – Shri V. Chhiber
- National Highways Authority of India – Shri Raagav Chandra.
Russian Cosmonaut Gennady Padalka returns to Earth
- Russian Cosmonaut Genady Padalka has returned to Earth with a new record for the most time spent in space. He spent 168 days in space in this trip.
- He has spent totally 879 days in space over five missions.
- Genady Padalka broke the record of Sergei Konstantinovich Krikalev of Russia who spent 803 days 9hours and 39 minutes in space over six trips.
- Genady Padalka is 57 years old. His first journey to space was in 1998, to Russia’s Mir space station. He has participated in 10 spacewalks and he is the only person to have commanded the ISS four times.
- Russian Space Research Institute – Moscow, Russia
Banking & Finance
FC Goa to appoint Sukhvinder Singh as CEO
- FC Goa, one of the Indian Super League (ISL) clubs is all set to appoint Sukhvinder Singh as the new CEO.
- As per the sources, he is expected to quit his current job at the Managing Director of Libero Sports India, a football agency to take over the CEO’s role at the Goan franchise of ISL.
- Earlier, he has worked with Nike as a sports marketing professional and All India Football Federation (AIFF) as the marketing officer.
- Though he agreed to join FC Goa, he said he had also applied for the position of AIFF’s general secretary and Project Director for the Under-17 World Cup.
Acquisitions & Mergers
JK group to acquire Haridwar unit of Kesoram Industries
JK Tyre Industries, India’s third largest tyre manufacturer to buy Haridwar manufacturing unit of Kesoram Industries for 2200 crore.
- Kesoram Industries, part of the BK Birla group has an estimated debt of Rs.3800 crore. This debt will come down to Rs.3000 crore after this deal.
- JK tyre will improve their growth in the truck and bus radials segment with this deal. The acquisition also improve the company into 2/3 wheeler tyre market.
- Chairman & MD of JK Tyre & Industries Ltd – Raghupati Singhania
Ancient twin caves discovered in Nalgonda, Telangana
- In a historic discovery, the Department of Archaeology and Museums has come across massive naturally formed ancient twin caves in Nalgonda district of Telangana. The place is just a couple of km from Nagarjunasagar backwaters and very close to Dindi rivulet.
- Experts claim that the caves are probably the oldest ever in both Telangana and Andhra Pradesh and it could have been home to the pre-historic man.
- The twin caves have a 15-metre radius at the entry point but the size narrows down as you go further down. One of the twin caves is said to be about 50 feet deep and the other one is about 650 feet
- Although no archaeological evidence like paintings have been found in the caves, this could be developed into a great adventure tourism spot and accordingly the tourism department said that they would include these caves in the proposed Devarakonda, Chandampet tourism circuit.
Aditi Ashok clinches Singha Thailand Amateur title
- A 17 year old, Indian golfer Aditi Ashok won the Singha Thailand Amateur championship.
- This is the third International Victory of Aditi Ashok in 2015,
- Aditi Ashok is the only Asian to win both St Rule Trophy 2015 and Lawson Trophy.
- She is the first Indian to win Ladies British Amateur Open Stroke Play Championship 2015
- Headquarters of International Golf Federation (IGF) – Lausanne, Switzerland
- President of International Golf Federation (IGF) – Peter Dawson
India Placed 22nd in New Asian Football Technical Ranking
- A new technical ranking system of the Asian Football Confederation has placed India in 22nd spot among the continent’s 46-member countries, the highest among South Asian nations.
- The technical ranking system released by the AFC recently takes into account the performance of the national team and clubs (at AFC competitions) of a particular country in the last four years and points are given accordingly.