Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful for upcoming exam.
Fourth North East Youth Festival concluded in Jorhat district of Assam
- The 4th North East Youth Festival which started on 29 May, concluded at Majuli in Jorhat district of Assam on 31 May 2015. It was a three day long festival, participated by about 2100 youth delegates from eight North East States. It was organized by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) on behalf of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- The Governor of Assam, Padmanabha Acharya was the Chief Guest at the closing ceremony of the Festival and the festival was inaugurated by Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilisers, Ananth Kumar.
- The North East Youth Festival is organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sport with the objective to nurture national Integrity and exchange and promotion of the rich cultural heritage of various tribes of North Eastern States.
Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa was sworn-in as the 19th Governor of Arunachal Pradesh
- A retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer from 1968 batch and former Chief Secretary of Assam, Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa was sworn-in as the 19th Governor of Arunachal Pradesh after the then Governor Lt General (Retired) Nirbhay Sharma was transferred to Mizoram.
- President Pranab Mukherjee had appointed him as Governor on May 12, and he was given the oath of office by the acting Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court Justice K Sreedhar Rao.
- During his service he had he served in various remote areas of the Northeast India including in Mizo Hills during the peak of the Mizo rebellion.
Food and Consumer Affairs Minister launches a BIS App
- Union Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan launched a BIS App to register complaints against sub-standard quality of ISI marked products and Hallmark jewellery
- He launched it during a press conference in Delhi as the government has completed one year in office. He also urged all the states to implement Food Security Act sayi.
- Paswan also launched a mobile application through which public can register complains about substandard ISI products.
- Mauritius designates Ameenah Gurib-Fakim as its first women President
- India, Sweden ink six agreements on Pranab Mukherjee visit
BCCI’s newly-constituted cricket advisory committee
- BCCI nominated Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman as the first ever members of the newly created Cricket Advisory Committee of the BCCI. Their inclusion in the panel was announced by BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur through a tweet.
- This Cricket Advisory Committee will advise the BCCI on various progressive steps needed to enable Indian Cricket to be better prepared for the challenges of the future. It will also guide the Indian team to enhance their performance on overseas engagements and also help nurture talents.
- First and foremost on the agenda is the appointment of a new coach or team director.it will have its first meeting on June 6 in Kolkata.
- President of the BCCI : Jagmohan Dalmiya
Birender Singh Dhanoa Appointed New IAF Vice Chief
- Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, a Kargil war veteran, is the new Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force. He will succeed Air Marshal Ravi Kant Sharma.
- Prior to being appointed as Vice Chief of the Air Staff, he was the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the South Western Air Command. He has also served as Chief Instructor (Air) at the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington in Tamil Nadu, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Intelligence) at Air Headquarters and Senior Air Staff Officer of two operational Commands.
- Dhanoa was commissioned in the IAF in 1978 as a fighter pilot. He is an alumnus of Rashtriya Indian Military College, the National Defence Academy and the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He is a Qualified Flying Instructor.
Sanjay Gupta is the new chairman of EIL
- Sanjay Gupta took over as chairman and managing director of Engineers India Ltd, the state-owned Engineering and consultancy, Procurement and Construction (EPC) company in hydrocarbons and petrochemicals, and will have a term till June 2017. He replaced A K Purwaha who retired yesterday.
- He is a passout from IIT Roorkee, and has about 34 years of experience in the company ranging from planning to implementation of mega grassroot projects in the refineries and petrochemical sector.
- Prior to this, he was Director (Commercial) in EIL.
92-year-old Harriette Thompson to become oldest woman to finish marathon
- A 92-year-old cancer survivor is seeking a place in the record books as the oldest woman to finish a marathon.
- Harriette Thompson of Charlotte, North Carolina, was running in today’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in San Diego.
- The oldest woman to complete a marathon was Gladys Burrill, who was 92 years and 19 days old when she finished the 2010 Honolulu Marathon.
- Thompson will be 92 years and 65 days old today, according to race organizers.
“Friday the 13th” actress Betsy Palmer dies
- Betsy Palmer, best known as Jason’s murderous mother, Pamela Voorhees — the original killer in the iconic horror flick Friday the 13th , has passed away at 88.
- Palmer appeared in a number of films, TV and stage shows throughout the 50s, including quiz show I’ve Got a Secret, iconic musical South Pacific and war flick Mr. Roberts. She took on the role of Mrs. Voorhees in 1980 to pay off her car.