Ameenah Gurib-Fakim was designated as the first women President of the Indian Ocean island nation by the Government of Mauritius Famous scientist and biologist .Ameenah’s appointment as the President would be subject to the approval by the parliament.
- Opposition party said that the vote would be just a formality as the party supports Ameenah for the post of President.
- The inauguration is expected to take place shortly.
- Kailash Purryag, former president, put in place by previous government stepped down as island’s head recently.
- Since july 2012 Kailash was serving as president ever since he was appointed by islands previous Labor party government of former premier Navin Ramgoolam.
- Previous government had fought elections on a platform of delivering constitutional reform with proposal of strengthening presidential powers.
Country of Mauritius
- Mauritius is richest and least corrupt country in Africa, having a population of 1.3 million people. The per capita GDP of Mauritius is just over $9000 which is 7200 euros.
- Mauritius apart from being an exporter of sugar, has built up strong outsourcing and financial sectors. The country is now an important tourist place and derives great income from that.
About Ameenah Gurib-Fakim
- She was born on 17th October 1959.
- Alma mater of University of Surrey, University of Exeter.
- Some awards received by Ameenah are Laureate for National Economic and Social Council , Emma Award by Bank one ltd etc
- She would be first women to hold the title of President of Mauritius
- She is MD of CIDP Research and Innovation, Biodiversity scientist