In the polls held in Wuhan,China former IOA secretary general Lalit Bhanot was elected as Vice-President of Asian Athletics Association AAA.
Recommended by the Athletics Federation of India AFI, Lalith Bhanot forced his way through 14 strong challenge in the election to be picked as one of the five vice-presidents during the AAA council on the eve of Asian Championships in Wuhan,China.
- As per the statement of AFI director ML Dogra, Mr Lalit was elected as vice-president of AAA after having won easily in the elections.
- Mr Bhanot was secretary of AFI for more than a decade and was also the secretary general of IOA.
- He is now chairman of AFI’s planning committee.
Asian Athletics Association polls
- Though Mr Lalit Bhanot was not allowed to contest in the IOA elections last year by IOC,there was no bar on him to contest in the AAA polls..
- Mr Bhanot got 32 votes out of 44 votes to get the VP post for a tenure of 4 years
- Former IOA and AAA chief Suresh Kalmadi, who was jailed along with Lalit in the corruption scandal
- contested the continentals body in the presidential elections in 2013 but lost the polls.
- Mr Kalmadi was made life president of AAA for his contribution as head of Asian Athletics for 13 years from 2000 to 2013..
- Qatar’s Dahlan al-Hamad was elected as president for another term .
Asian Athletics Association (AAA)
- It is a governing body for sport of athletics in India.
- Headquarters is in Singapore.
- Present president is Dahlan Jumaan al-Hamad.
- It conducts Asian Championships in Athletics.
Indian Olympic Association IOA
- A body that is in charge of selecting athletes for India at Olympic or Asian games etc.
- Formed in the year 1927.
- Current president is Narayana Ramachandran.