Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs February 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Click Here to Read Current Affairs February 7 Quiz 2016
Sushma Swaraj visit to Sri Lanka – An Overview
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was on two day visit to Sri Lanka to discuss the fishermen’s issue and rights of minority Tamils.
- 9th Joint Commission meeting
- Both Nations signed MoUs on education and health sectors
- Rise of Digital India
Govt consented to Heritage Development Projects for AP & Telangana
In a bid to improve tourist infrastructure in heritage places of Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh and Warangal in Telangana, urban development ministry has given its stamp of approval to the projects worth of Rs. 12 crore.
- An inter-Ministerial HRIDAY National Empowered Committee approved development of Heritage Park in Amaravati and 1000 Pillar Temple, Kazipet Durgah and Padmakshi Temple in Warangal.
Project Sunrise launched for prevention of AIDS in NE states
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had launched Project Sunrise on for prevention of AIDS in the 8 North-Eastern states. The funding of project is done by theCentre for Disease Control of the United States. First cases of HIV were diagnosed in 1986 among sex workers in Chennai.
- The objective of this AIDS prevention project is to diagnose 90 per cent of such drug addicts with HIV and put them under treatment by 2020.
Maiden Kerala Literature Festival held at Kozhikode
The maiden Kerala Literature Festival was hosted in Kozhikode at which key topics like spirituality, social media, women’s issues, Dalit issues, freedom of expression, environment issues and media activism were discussed.
- Dalit issues were also discussed in a session “Dalit Literature Past and Present” and “Consciousness of Indian Religion and the Suicide of Rohith Vemula”.
- Noted documentaries, feature films and documentary fictions were also screened on various contemporary topics.
50 leading writers from across the country took part in the four-day festival, which was organized by the Department of Culture and Kozhikode Corporation in alliance with D.C. Books.
PM dedicates NISER to the nation
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) at Bhubaneswar, Odisha has been dedicated by PM Modi to the nation.
- The Prime Minister urged the students of NISER to work towards making NISER India’s greenest campus, and a zero-emission, zero-discharge campus which uses only renewable energy.
India has over 15 lakh registered companies
As per the latest data compiled by the Corporate Affairs Ministry, India has more than 15 lakh registered companies but only 10.7 lakh of them were active at the end of 2015.
- This is higher than 14.39 lakh companies registered at the end of December 2014.
The Corporate Affairs Ministry is implementing the Companies Act, 2013 whose most provisions came into force in April 2014.
Akhilesh Yadav launches new UP Revenue Code
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had launched a new UP Revenue Code.
- The aim of this launch is to eradicate old laws relating land revenue and land reforms and greater dispute resolution.
- The old revenue laws will be abolished and now new simplified and rapid laws were maintained and implemented.
- The new code 39 Acts is implemented which includes Land Revenue Act 1901 and after this Zamindari and Land Reform Act 1950 will be abolished.
India’s first fully solar-powered educational institute now in Puducherry
ndia’s first fully solar-powered educational institute had been launched by Sri Aurobindo International Centre for Education Puducherry.
- The institutes produce three times of the electricity it consumes through solar power plants.
- The institute saves Rs 10,000 every month on the electricity bill.
- The solar plant system is installed on the roofs of the dining room, primary school, library and high school of the campus.
- The institute has been self-sufficient in energy since September 2014.
Indian to be on UN panel on women’s economic
India is now in the UN panel on women’s economic empowerment. Padma Shri awardee Renana Jhabvala, social worker from Ahmedabad had invited to serve as a panelist.
- The aim of the panel is to finish the economic gender gaps that persist around the world.
- The panel had been established to offer advice on improving economic upshot for women and promoting women’s leadership and to counsel the implementation of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The panel is sponsored by the United Kingdom, the World Bank Group and UN Women.
BANKING & FINANCE
CAMS launches Aadhaar-based eKYC for setting up MF account instantly
CAMS had launched Aadhar based eKYC (know your customer) for setting up an instant (MF) mutual fund account. The system had been launched to make mutual fund account opening and transactions a paperless and presence less process.
- Investors can voluntarily submit Aadhaar and mobile numbers for validation with Aadhaar or UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India)
- The authentication is done using OTP (one-time password) through CAMS at camsonline.com
IPAB approves GI tag for Indian Basmati rice
The Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB) had approved the Geographical Indications Registry (GI) tag for . The report is given by the geographical isolation conducted by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA).
- Basmati rice-producing states in north Indian to get GI tag are Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand and parts of Uttar Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Chhattisgarh govt to form joint venture company with Railways
Chhattisgarh government will be forming a joint venture company with the Ministry of Railways. The project is formed for the development and extension of railway tracks in the state.
- The state Commerce and Industries Department and the Railway Ministry signed the MoU for the project.
- The state government will have 51 per cent share and the Railways remaining 49 per cent share in the project
- Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh– Raman Singh
- Capital of Chhattisgarh– Raipur
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Navy showcases bio-diesel run patrol craft at IFR 2016
The Indian Navy conducted an International Fleet Review (IFR) at Visakhapatnam.
- IFR 2016 Mascot – Dolphin
- IFR 2016 Theme Song – United through Oceans
During the IFR 2016, Indian Navy showcased its bio diesel powered fast attack craft. It was developed by the lab from the Jatropha Curacas plant.
About International Fleet Review (IFR): President of India being the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, once in his term, reviews the Indian Naval (IN) Fleet as part of the “President’s Fleet Review” (PFR).
- Ten Reviews have taken place in India since Independence in 1947.
- The first was held in 1953.
Glenmark introduces EMI scheme for cancer treatment drug
In order to help the cancer patients, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals has initiated an EMI scheme which will help them in their continuation of the treatment and meet the high cost of medication.
- Two drugs are covered under the scheme viz. Abirapro prescribed for prostate cancer and Evermil or different cancers.
Currently, Abirapro 250 mg in 120-pack size is priced at Rs. 39,990 and 10 tablet packs of 10 mg Evermil tablets is priced at Rs. 29,965.
- Patients have the option of EMI tenure of 3 months, 6 months and 9 months. They can use credit cards at select locations to buy the drugs.
- Company rolled out the flexi pay initiative in 12 cities – Bengaluru, Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Chennai, Indore, Jaipur, New Delhi and Chandigarh.
Watson top buy, Yuvraj too gets million-dollar deal
Shane Watson Australia’s player is at the top for a whopping Rs 9.50 crore, Yuvraj Singhis too gets Rs 7 crore deal in low-key IPL players’ auction
- Pawan Ne I Indian all-rounder was bought for Rs 8.5 crore by Delhi Daredevils.
- Ashish Nehra Indian pacer expert was bought for Rs 5.5 crore to Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Ishant Sharma for Rs 3.8 crore by Rising Pune Super Giants
- Kevin Pietersen for Rs 3.5 crore to Rising Pune Super Giants (RPSG)
- Dwayne Smith for Rs 2.3 crore by Gujarat Lions
- West Indian batsman Carlos Brathwaite was whopping Rs 4.2 crore by Delhi Daredevils
- Indian pacer Mohit Sharma, for Rs 6.5 crore was taken by Kings XI Punjab.
- Australian all-rounder Mitchell Marsh bid Rs 4.8 crore for the enterprising player.
- Indian wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Karthik, for Rs 2.3 crore with Gujarat Lions.