External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was on two day visit to Sri Lanka to discuss the fishermen’s issue and rights of minority Tamils.
Here is the overview of visit
9th Joint Commission meeting
The 9th session of Joint Commission meeting was co-chaired by Sushma Swaraj and Sri Lankan foreign affair minister Mangala Samaraweera.
- The discussions covered – economic cooperation, trade, power and energy, technical and maritime cooperation, social, cultural and educational matters, science and technology, defence cooperation, health, civil aviation, tourism and people-to-people contact.
The joint commission was set up in 1992 as a mechanism to address issues of bilateral cooperation.
Both Nations signed MoUs on education and health sectors
- Renovating 27 schools in the Tamil-dominated Northern Province.
- Building a surgical ward and supplying medical equipment to the Batticaloa Teaching Hospital in the East.
Both Nations agreed to find an innovative and lasting solution to the fishermen issue.
- Flashback of issue – Sri Lanka accuses Indian fishermen of straying into its territorial waters, while India maintain they are only fishing in their traditional areas around Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Colombo in 1974.
Right of Minority Tamils
Sri Lanka agreed to devolve power to minority Tamils under a new Constitution, aimed at resolving the ethnic conflict and achieving reconciliation with Tamils.
Rise of Digital India
Sushma Swaraj inaugurates Rise of Digital India exhibition as part of “Sangam” festival of India in Sri Lanka 2015-2016.
- The exhibition showcased the upgradation of computing sector and digital technologies in India and how it is positively impacting the day to day lives of society.
India offers succored to Sri Lanka in IT sector
India is all set to assist Sri Lanka in in the information technology (IT) sector and set up an IT park in island nation that could attract investments in this sector.
Keys Sri Lanka
Capitals – Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, Colombo
Currency – Sri Lankan rupee
PM – Ranil Wickremesinghe
President – Maithripala Sirisena