Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
Banking & Finance
Awards and Recognition
McCann bags Incredible India ad campaign
The Indian Ministry of Tourism has made its decision to assign the duties of INCREDIBLE INDIA advertising campaign to McCann Erickson replacing Ogilvy India for a period of three years.
- The Ministry said McCann was chosen because of its unique consumer understanding, intrinsic reflection of the social conscience cultural insight and superlative creative work.
- McCann has also been responsible for the set of four commercials on “Atithi Devo Bhav”, from the Tourism Ministry, which is currently playing on air, and which feature superstar Aamir Khan.
- McCann is a global advertising agency network, with offices in 120 countries.
- It is founded in 1902 and has its headquarters in U.S.
Hindi litterateur Kashinath Singh chosen for Bharat Bharti literary award 2014
- Kashinath Singh who is noted Hindi literature has been chosen for UttarPradesh state’s highest literaryaward,Bharat Bharti.This award is given in list of 2014
- This award is given by UP Hindi Sansthan and its cash prize is 5 lakh.Singh is famous for his novel Kashi Ka Assi .With this novel a moving is coming woith name ‘Mohalla Assi’
- Singh who is 78 penned many novels and short stories.His recent work in 2014 is Upsanhar
Ex-Jalore EO Rajan Vishal chosen for Election Commission’s award
- Jalore electoral officer Rajan Vishal is choosen for Election commission’s Zonal award under the Best Electoral Practices Award-2014.
- This award is given to him for doing works like reaching out to remote areas and convincing people,especially women,to play their role in democracy .
- The Election commission will present the award to Vishal who is a 2008-batch IAS officer at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi on August 10th 2015.At present he is working as District collector of Nagpur.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Airtel acquires YTS Solutions to boost wallet services
Airtel M-Commerce Services (AMSL), subsidiary of telecom service provider BHARTI AIRTEL acquired digital financial company Yatra Tatra Sarvatra (YTS) SOLUTIONS for an undisclosed amount on AUGUST 3, 2015.
- Through this acquisition, Airtel would integrate the payments and remittance businesses of YTS and will expand Airtel’s portfolio in the mobile commerce segment.
- MANISH KHERA, Co-founder and MD of YTS Solutions will be appointed as CEO of Airtel M Commerce ServicesLimited (AMSL).
- Airtel is India’s largest mobile operator with a customer base of over 230 million customers.
Science & Technology
China is building the world’s biggest radio telescope
The Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) is a radio telescope under construction which will be the world’s largest and most sensitive radio telescope and three times more sensitive than the Arecibo Observatory in a natural basin in Pingtang County, Guizhou Province, southwest China.
- Started on June 2011, the construction will be completed by September 2016.
- It will have a cost of 1.2 billion Yuan.
- It will allow scientists to get weaker radio signals from outer space, even further than our solar system.
- The first proposal for building this radio telescope was made in 1993.
- It will have a diameter of 500 meters (1,600 ft).
Three super-Earths found 21 light years from Earth
Researchers at the University Of Geneva (UNIGE), have discovered a new planetary system that includes three super-Earths and one giant outer world orbiting a nearby star called HD 219134, using the HARPS-N spectrograph on the Italian Telescopio Nazionale Galileo at the Roque de los Muchachos Observatory in Canary Islands.
- HD 219134, also known as HR 8832, is a 5th magnitude K-dwarf star located approximately 21 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia.
- The planet, known as HD 219134b, is approximately 4.5 times more massive than the Earth and 1.6 times larger, and orbits its star once every three days.
- It was not in the so-called “habitable zone” of its star, and would not have liquid water necessary for life.
ISRO to launch 9 nano/micro American satellites during 2015-16
This will be the first time that Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be launching nine nano/ micro satellites for United States during 2015-16 time frames.
- DEVIPRASAD KARNIK, ISRO Director Public Relations said that Antrix Corporation Ltd, the commercial arm of ISRO, has signed agreement to launch about nine nano/micro (US) satellites.
- These satellites will go as piggyback on PSLV’s (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle).
- About 45 satellites belonging to international customers from 19 countries have been launched successfully by Isro’s satellite launch vehicles.
Sjostrom breaks women’s 100m butterfly record
SARAH SJOSTROM from Sweden breaks her own world record in the women’s 100m butterfly which she made in the semi-final in world swimming championship held in Kazan, Russia on AUGUST 3, 2015.
- Sjostrom made her world record in the semi-final of swimming championship becoming a world champion clocking 55.74 seconds to break Dana Vollmer’s previous record of 55.98 secs set at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- She broke her own world record in final by clocking 55.64 seconds which broke her previous mark of 55.74, which she set in the semi-finals.
- This was the third world record to fall in FINA World Championships 2015 in Kazan, Russia.
Dipa Karmakar wins bronze at Asian Gymnastics
- Indian artistic gymnast Dipa Karmakar from Agartala has won the women’s vault bronze medal at the Asian Championships help in Hiroshima.
- Chinese Yan Wang won the gold medal and Sae Miyakawa from Japan won silver.
- Dipa has won many medals at different games. In February 2015, she won a total of five medals in the 35th National Games held at Kerala. In 2014 Asian Games, she finished fourth and in 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, she won a bronze.
Click here to view: Current Affairs August 2015