“Transforming our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” is the new Sustainable Development agenda for next 15 years till 2030 was the agreement reached by the United Nations 193 member states on AUGUST 2, 2015.
• This agenda was built on the success of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
• The main objective of this agenda is eradicating poverty and hunger, achieving gender equality, improving living standards and taking urgent action to combat climate change.
• This sustainability agenda deals with “five P’s”- PEOPLE, PLANET, PROSPERITY, PEACE, and PARTNERSHIP.
• The draft agreement outlines 17 non-binding goals with 169 specific targets that comprise different socio-economic issues. These goals will succeed 8 MDGs which was adopted in 2000.
• This new global agenda will be formally adopted by UN member states at coming Sustainable Development Summit to be held at the UN headquarters in New York from 25 to 27 September 2015.
17 Proposed Sustainable Development Goals:
1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture.
3. Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages.
4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all.
9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization, and foster innovation.
10. Reduce inequality within and among countries.
11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (taking note of agreements made by the UNFCCC forum).
14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss.
16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.