RASHTRIYA ISPAT NIGAM LIMITED (RINL), a Navratna company, the corporate entity of Visakhapatnam Steel Plant andNATIONAL THERMAL POWER CORPORATION (NTPC) has decided to form a joint venture to set up a “Greenfield coal fired power plant”.
- RINL owns 25,000 acres, is keen on establishing below 1,000 MW plant with supercritical technology on its premises at Ukkunagaram by allotting around 400 acres to meet its future power requirement.
- NTPC, has 2,000 MW Simhadri Super Thermal Power Plant at Parawada, near Visakhapatnam and is establishing 4,000 MW plant with an investment of Rs.24,000 crore at Pudimadaka to expand the capacity of Simhadri.
- RINL, Chairman cum Managing Director P. MADHUSUDAN said that the discussions for joint venture are in progress.
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd, also known as Vizag Steel, is an Indian Government owned steel producer.
- RINL was established on February 18, 1982.
- It is amongst the most advanced Steel plants in India and one of largest integrated steel plants in the world.
- RINL has its headquarters in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- By 2015, an annual capacity of steel production is expected to reach almost 7.5 million tones.
- NTPC Limited is an Indian Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSU) under the Ministry of Power, Government of India, engaged in the business of generation of electricity and allied activities.
- It is a company incorporated under the Companies Act 1956, founded by Government of India in 1975.
- It is ranked 424th in the Forbes Global 2000 for 2014.
- By April, 2015, the number of employees working in this organization is 24,546.
- NTPC has its headquarters in New Delhi, India.