We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 12 & 13 January 2020, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2020 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs January 2020 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Petroleum minister Pradhan launched PURVODAYA mission in steel sector in Kolkata, West BengalOn January 11, 2020 the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel (MoPNG&S) Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched mission PURVODAYA with the aim of driving accelerated development of eastern India through integrated steel hub in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Proposed Integrated Steel Hub:The proposed steel hub encompasses of Odisha, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal and Northern Andhra Pradesh. The objective of this hub is to enable swift capacity addition and improve overall competitiveness of steel producers in terms of cost as well as quality.
- Ports: Major ports such as Paradip(Odisha), Haldia (West Bengal), Vizag (Andhra Pradesh), Kolkata (West bengal) constitute more than 30% of India’s major port capacity.
- Eastern belt: The eastern belt has the potential to add more than 75% of the country’s incremental steel capacity envisioned by the National Steel Policy (NSP). this region alone is expected to produce 200MT out of 300MT of steel by 2030-31 driven by Industry 4.0(trend towards automation).
- India has come up with Rs.102 lakh crore worth National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP)….Click here to Read More
‘Yashaswini scheme’ was launched by the Union Minister Smriti Irani in GoaOn January 11, 2020 Union Minister for Women and Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani launched Yashaswini scheme for Women entrepreneurship at Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee stadium in Taleigao town near Panaji district of Goa. Swasthya Sakhi Project and breast cancer screening initiative were also inaugurated on the occasion.
i.Under the Yashaswini scheme, interest free loans up to Rs. 5 lakhs with a tenure of five years will be given to women self-help groups by the state government of Goa.
ii.Under the breast cancer initiative, women will be screened for breast cancer by the healthcare workers of the state by which healthcare services will be reached out in rural areas of the state.
iii.Under the Swasthya Sakthi Project a diagnostic kit is given to the healthcare workers which helps them to conduct basic diagnostic tests for People in the state at their doorsteps….Click here to Read More
Govt promulgated ordinance for amendment in laws to ease coal mine auctions
The central govt has promulgated ordinance for amendment in the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act 1957 (MMDR act 1957) and The Coal Mines (special provisions) act, 2015 (CMSP act 2015) in order to ease new areas of growth in the coal & mining sector. The amendments in detail are as follows:
- Enhance ease of doing business & Democratization of coal mining sector.
- Unexplored and partially explored coal blocks mining through prospecting license-cum-mining Lease (PL- cum-ML) will be offered.
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) promotion in the coal mining sector.
- Attracting large investment in coal mining sector.
- Allowing of successful bidder/allottee to utilise mined coal in any of the plant of its subsidiary or holding company Attracting large investment in coal mining sector as restrictions of end use has been dropped.
- New Section in mines created: A new section 4B (after section 4A) has been inserted to enable the Central Govt. to prescribe conditions for ensuring sustained production by the holder of mining leases, who have acquired clearances etc.The Central govt has the power to prescribe the conditions for the new lessees to commence production without prejudice to the time period of 2 years for starting the production prescribed in Section 4A.
- Flexibility in deciding the end use of Schedule II and III coal mines: The end use of Schedule II and III coal mines under the CMSP Act has been provided with flexibility through omission of sub-section (3) of Section 4 of CMSP Act….Click here to Read More
Overview of Prime Minister Modi’s 2 day official visit to Kolkata,West BengalThe Prime Minister(PM) of India shri Narendra Modi paid a two-day official visit to Kolkata, West Bengal from January 11-12, 2020. The visit in detail are as follows:
- Shri Modi renamed Kolkata Port as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port on the occasion of sesquicentenary (150th year) celebrations of the Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT).
- Rs.600 crore projects: During the occasion projects worth Rs.600 crores were launched.
- Oldest pensioners of port honoured: Two oldest pensioner of the port Smt. Nagina Bhagat(105 years) and Mr. Naresh Chandra Chakraborty (100 years) were honoured at the event.
- 4 refurbished heritage buildings in Kolkata were dedicated to the nation by PM Modi. these 4 buildings were Old Currency Building, Belvedere House, the Metcalfe House and Victoria Memorial Hall.
- Final installment of pension funds: Rs.501 crores was handed over by prime minister to the chairman of Life Insurance Corporation(LIC) Mr M.R. Kumar for the final installment to meet deficit of pension funds of the Kolkata Port Trust….Click here to Read More
HM Amit shah 2-day visit to Gujarat; launches project VISHWAS & Cyber AASHVAST in GandhinagarUnion Home Minister (HM) Amit Shah has paid a 2- day visit to Gujarat from January 11-12, 2020.
- He addressed the 9th convocation function of Gujarat Technological University (GTU) & also attended an event at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar to digitally launch India’s 1st cyber AASHVAST (Assured Assistance Service Helpline for Victims at Shortest Time ) & project VISHWAS (Video Integration and State Wide Advanced Security).
- He also launched Netrang project that aims to Command and Control Room in 33 districts of the state, online portal to pay E Challan “https://echallanpayment.gujarat.gov.in/ ”…..Click here to Read More
Tehran Dialogue Forum-23rd gulf conference; India supports Hormuz Peace initiative 2020
India participated in the Tehran Dialogue Forum, the 23rd Persian Gulf International Conference held in Tehran, Iran from January 06- 07, 2020. During the forum, India supported the Hormuz Peace initiative 2020. The initiative was done so as to seek stability in one of the world’s busiest and strategically located shipping lanes i.e, Strait of Hormuz amid escalating US-Iran tensions. Oman, India, China and Afghanistan were the key participants.
- Plans under HOPE: The meeting reviewed the latest developments in the Persian Gulf region and also evaluated the regional cooperation plans under the ‘Hormuz Peace Endeavor’ (HOPE), proposed by Tehran at the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) that was held in September 2019.
- Strait of Hormuz:The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most strategically important choke points.It acts as an important gateway for significant amount of global oil supplies.
- Oil & LNG supply to India: 2/3rd of oil and 50% of liquefied natural gas (LNG) imported to India comes through the strait between Iran and Oman.
- General statistics: Everyday 18 million barrels of oil pass through the Strait of Hormuz that accounts for 1/3rd of the global oil trade. 1/3rd of the world’s LNG trade also passes through the strait….Click here to Read More
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI curbs functions of Sri Guru Raghavendra Sahakara Bank; withdraw limit set to Rs.35000
On January 10, 2020 the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has curbed Sri Guru Raghavendra Sahakara Bank, a private bank in Bengaluru, Karnataka from doing business with immediate effect. This has been done after finding alleged irregularities in transactions. The bank’s savings and current account customers and depositors can however withdraw cash up to ₹35,000 only till further notice.
Act: RBI’s Chief General Manager Yogesh Dayal issued the directive under Sections 35A and 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, from Mumbai, Maharashtra.
i.Without the approval of RBI, the bank cannot write, grant or renew loans and advances, make investment, borrow funds or accept fresh deposits from January 10, 2020.
ii.The directive will remain in force for 6 months from January 10, 2020 and is subject to review.
About Sri Guru Raghavendra Sahakara Bank:
Headquarters- Bangalore, Karnataka.
Tagline- A cooperative bank with corporate vision.
President- Dr. K Ramakrishna.
Motto- Service to the Common Man.
SEBI extends April 2022 deadline for separation of chairman & MD posts for top 500 listed entities firms
January 13, 2020, Stock market regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) has extended the deadline for the separation of the posts of Chairman and MD (Managing Director) or chief executive officer (CEO) for 500 listed companies by 2 years. Now this rule has to be followed by April 1, 2022. It’s aim to separate the board and the management of the top companies.
i.The first deadline issued by SEBI was April 2020. The move comes after the companies were asking for more time to keep expenses down due to the slowdown in the economy.
ii.Background: The rules to separate the post of Chairman-MD are part of the recommendations of the Uday Kotak (MD of Kotak Mahindra Bank) Committee appointed by SEBI on Corporate Governance. Many companies have merged the two posts as CMD (chairman-cum-managing director), leading to some overlapping of the board and management, which could lead to conflict. In many companies including Reliance Industries, the chairman and MD are handled by the same person.
Formation– April 12, 1988, Statutory Powers provided on 30 January 1992 through the SEBI Act, 1992.
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman– Ajay Tyagi
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
BCCI annual awards 2018-19 announced: Jasprit Bumrah receives Polly Umrigar award
On 12 January 2020 ,The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Annual Awards were presented in 25 different categories for the 2018-19 season in Mumbai, Maharashtra to honor all the legendary cricketers.
- Indian pacer Jasprit Jasbirsingh Bumrah has received the highest prize of Indian cricket – the prestigious Polly Umrigar Award for the best international cricketer (2018-19) in men’s category.The award carries a citation, trophy & cheque for Rs. 15 lakh.
- Former India captains Krishnamachari Srikkanth and Anjum Chopra were awarded the Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award and the BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award for women respectively.
Here’s the full list of winners,….Click here to Read More
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Robert Abela named as 14th Prime minister of MaltaOn January 12,2020 Malta’s governing party has elected a new leader Robert Abela of Labour Party as 14th prime minister of Malta. He replaces Joseph Muscat, who resigned over the murder of a journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia. Robert Abela is the son of the Malta’s Former President George Abela.
Robert Abela, 42-years old lawyer won the Labour Party Leadership contest with 57.9% of the vote and beat his closest rival Chris Fearne 56-years old surgeon by more than 2,500 votes.
i.Galizia was killed by a car bomb in 2017 as she investigated corruption in Malta.
ii.Caruana Galizia, known as the “one woman WikiLeaks”, exposed corruption at the highest levels of government and business circles in Malta.
President- George Vella.
Tsai Ing-Wen wins Taiwan’s Presidential election for the second timeTaiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen has won the presidential election for second time with 57.1% of total votes. She belongs to Democratic Progressive Party (DPP). She defeated Han Kuo-yu of the rival Nationalist Party.
About Tsai Ing-Wen:
i.63-years-old Tsai Ing-Wen joined DPP in 2004 and nominated for the presidential election in 2012 and 2016.
ii.In 2016 she won the Presidential election for the first time.
Currency- New Taiwan dollar.
Haitham bin Tariq Al Said appointed as the new ruler of OmanOn January 11, 2020 Haitham bin Tariq Al Said (66) was appointed as the new ruler of the Oman after the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said who ruled the country from 1970.
i.Haritham bin Tariq Al Said who is the cousin of the deceased Sultan Qaboos, was the Cultural and Heritage Minister of Oman.
ii.In 2013 he was appointed by the Sultan Qaboos to chair the main committee responsible for Oman’s development.
iii.Haritham bin Tariq was an oxford graduate who spent 16 years in various roles with the Foreign Ministry from 1986.
iv.He was also incharge for Oman’s Vision 2040 Program.
Currency- Omani rial
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Flipkart former CEO Sachin Bansal acquires DHFL General Insurance for Rs 100 crore
On January 10,2020 Former CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and co-founder of Flipkart Sachin Bansal has acquired DHFL (Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited) General Insurance, Mumbai, Maharashtra from Wadhan Group Capital (WGC) for around Rs.100 crore. WGC is the parent company of crisis-hit DHFL which has been recently admitted for bankruptcy.
i.The deal has been done via Navi Technologies for Rs.100 crore formerly known as BAC Acquisitions Private Limited (BACQ) which Sachin Bansal has founded along with IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) -Delhi batchmate Ankit Agarwal after selling his stake in Flipkart.
ii.DHFL General Insurance has Rs.400 crore in assets under management.
iii.The deal is seen as a distress sale for Kapil-Wadhawan CMD (Chairman and Managing Director) of DHFL led financial services group which runs the debt-laden DHFL.
iv.Companies owned by WGC:WGC also owns financial services companies such as Aadhar Housing Finance Ltd (AHFL), Avanse Financial Services Ltd(AFSL) ,DHFL Pramerica Asset Managers,DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance and DHFL General Insurance.
v.Previous acquisition: In 2019,Bansal acquired a microlender CRIDS (Chaitanya Rural Intermediation Development Services),Karnataka,India for Rs.739 crore and also took over as the CEO of this non-banking finance company (NBFC).
Founded– 11 April 1984.
Founder– Rajesh Wadhawan.
CMD (Chairman and Managing Director)– Kapil Wadhavan.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Shopper malware affects 14.23% Indian users: Kaspersky report
On January 13, 2020, According to the researchers from cybersecurity and anti-virus solutions provider Kaspersky, a new Trojan malware application called ‘Shopper’ (‘Trojan-Dropper. AndroidOS.Shopper.a’ ) has affected more than 14.23% Indian users. This malware boosts shopping app ratings, spreads ads, installs apps without the permission of the smart phone user. The malware also has a capability to use the Google Accessibility Service to spread false information through social media channels and other platforms.
i.Report: The malware has infected 28.46% ( the most) of the users in Russia who use shopaholic app from October – November 2019. It is followed by Brazil (18.70%) and India (14.23%).
ii.Focus: Now, the center of this malware app is in retail. The origin of this malware is not known. However, it may be downloaded through fraudulent ads/ third-party app stores. It is present as a system application in the device under the name ‘ConfigAPKs.
iii.How it works: After the user unlocks the screen, the Shopper malware initiated automatically and gathers information about the device, which is then forwarded to the attacker’s servers. This server will then send commands to the Shopper to execute the action.
Headquarters– Moscow, Russia
CEO– Eugene Kaspersky
Two Coast Guard ships Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur commissioned at Kolkata
On January 12,2020 The two Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGS) namely Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur were commissioned and deployed along the eastern coast by Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar at Khidderpore park, Kolkata.
With a target of becoming a $ 5 trillion economy by 2024, $ 250 billion will be coming from the maritime zone.
i.The two ICG fast patrol vessels designed and manufactured by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd., (GRSE) kolkata, West Bengal.
ii.The ships are capable of achieving a maximum speed of 34 knots, powered by MTU (Motoren- und Turbinen-Union) 4000 series engines and propelled by three 71s type III Kamewa water jets by Rolls Royce….Click here to Read More
Tennis legend Novak djokovic defeats Nadal to make Serbia winner of 1st ATP Cup 2020 held in Sydney, AustraliaSerbian professional tennis player, Novak Djokovic has defeated Rafael Nadal of Spain to make Serbia the champion of 1st edition of ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) Cup i.e. ATP Cup 2020 held at Ken Rosewall Arena in Sydney, Australia from 3–12 January,2020.
i.Djokovic, ranked second in the world rankings, returned to the team by defeating top ranked Nadal with 6-2, 7-6 scores in the final of the tournament being played for the 1st time.
ii.Earlier,in November 2019, Nadal led Spain to clinch its 6th Davis Cup title 2019 by defeating Denis Shapovalov of Canada in men’s singles held on indoor hard courts at the Caja Mágica in Madrid, Spain.
About ATP Cup 2020:
Participation– 24 teams
Prize money– $15,000,000
It is an international outdoor hard court men’s tennis tournament organized by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
Location– (Pat Rafter Arena) Brisbane,( RAC Arena) Perth, and (Ken Rosewall Arena) Sydney, Australia
Noted Kerala Cartoonist Thomas Antony passes away at 62On January 12, 2020 Kerala Cartoonist and Secretary of Kerala Cartoon Academy Thomas Antony passed away at Kottackal town in Malappuram district, Kerala after suffering from heart attack. He was 62. He was born in kottayam District Kerala India.
About Thomas Antony:
i.He worked as a cartoonist in Deepika daily and served as the executive artist with Malayalam daily ‘Metro Vaartha’.
ii.In 2007 he won United Nations Political Cartoon Award and the World Press Cartoon Award, instituted by an organization based in Lisbon, Portugal, in 2018.
Portuguese motorcycle rider Paulo Goncalves passes away at 40On January 12, 2020 Portuguese motorcycle rider Paulo Goncalves passed away after a crash in the seventh stage of the 42th edition of Dakar Rally 2020 which was held for the first time in Saudi Arabia. He was 40.
About Paulo Goncalves:
i.He was born on February 5, 1979 in Esposende city of Portugal.
ii.He was the member of team Hero motorsports and died during his 13th Darker Rally.
iii.He won the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) cross-Country Rallies World Championship in 2013.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
New India: Selected Writings 2014-19 of Arun Jaitely, Foreword by PM Modi to be released in FebOn January 13,2020 Juggernaut Books publishing house New Delhi, India has announced a new book of compilation of selected writings by former finance minister Arun Jaitley, namely “New India:Selected Writings 2014-19” which offers readers with the late’s politicians sharp insight on topics including GST (Goods and Services Tax),demonetisation and Kashmir.
i.The book is an authoritative account of the policies and decisions made by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi government during his first period (2014-19). It will hit the stands in February.
ii.As a former finance minister he rolled out the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in 2017 the biggest tax reforms after Independence.
iii.Chiki Sarkar publisher and founder of Juggernaut Books mentioned that this is the definite book from him about BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) era and policies.
iv.Jaitley was PM (Prime Minister) Modi and BJP chief trouble-shooter he helmed the finance,defence,corporate affairs and information and broadcasting ministries.
v.The writings by Jaitley dwell upon his take on political trends in the country, such as the end of dynastic policies, the fissures among regional powers and the crisis in the Congress party.
vi.Jaitley passed away at the age of 66 on 24 August 2019,New Delhi.
Union External Affairs Minister recently launched a book titled ‘PAX SINICA: Implications for the Indian Dawn’On January 6,2020 Union External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar launched a book on China titled ‘PAX SINICA:Implications for the Indian Dawn’ authored by Samir Saran and Akhil Deo and published by Rupa Publications India.
i.PAX SINICA presents a comprehensive view of how President Xi Jinping’s, China will implicate the world order in the 21st century.
ii.Samir Saran: Author Samir Saran is the President of Observer Research Foundation (ORF),one of Asia’s most influential think tanks and also commissioner of The Global Commission on the stability of Cyberspace, member of the World’s Economic Forum’s South Asia advisory board and Global Future Council on Geopolitics.
iii.Akhil Deo: Akhil deo is the junior researcher of ORF whose research includes India’s Foreign Policy and the impact of emerging technologies on society.
President- Xi Jinping.
Motto- “Serve the People”.
Indian embassy in Nepal celebrates Vishwa Hindi Diwas ; launches Nepali translation of Swami Vivekananda’s ‘Karma Yoga’ In order to mark the event of Vishwa Hindi Diwas on January 10, 2020, the Indian Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal has launched 4 books including Nepali translation of Swami Vivekananda’s ‘Karma Yoga‘ (Publisher -Advaita Ashrama).
i.The other 3 books launched by Indian embassay include
(i) the Nepali translated book consisting of 5 popular stories penned by Indian writer Premchand
(ii) Hindi translations of ‘Ashwathama’ penned by Nepalese poet Madhav Prasad Ghimire (Publisher- Royal Nepal Academy) and
(iii) ‘Utkrishta Kahaniyan’, a book published by Unicorn Books comprising 25 new age Nepali stories written by young Nepali story writers.
ii.Further a special issue of the research journal ‘Sahityalok’ of Central Hindi Department of Tribhuvan University was also launched during the event.
iii.Inagurated by Deputy Chief of Mission at the Indian embassy in Nepal, Ajay Kumar , the event was attended by Nepal’s Minister for Federal Affairs and General Administration, Hridayesh Tripathi as Chief Guest & over 200 people including writers, journalists, Hindi and Nepali scholars, academicians, and students.
National Youth Day is observed on January 12, 2020; PM marks 157th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda at Belur MathThe National Youth Day is observed on January 12 every year to mark the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
i.On January 13, 2020 PM Modi visited Belur Math, the headquarters of Ramakrishna Mission in Howrah district of West Bengal to mark the 157th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
ii.The Theme of National Youth Day 2020 is “Channelizing Youth Power for Nation Building”.
iii.National Youth is also famously known as Yuva Diwas.….Click here to Read More
Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign in Nagpur, MaharashtraOn January 11,2020 Transport department in Maharashtra observed 31st Road Safety Week from 11th-17th Jan 2020. Union transport Minister Nitin Jairam Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign organised by Regional Transport Office, Traffic Police and District Road Safety Committee in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
i.To ensure transparency and accuracy on the use of e-governance in license issuance process and also test for license will be carried through computers in Pune and Mumbai centres.
ii.Union Minister also said that there is a proposal to establish 2,000 centres for issuing the vehicle fitness and PUC (Pollution Under Control) certificate to vehicles.
iii.He also mentioned about the recent provisions of the Amended Motor Vehicle Act, in which financial assistance will be provided to the social organizations which are involved in spreading the awareness about road safety.
iv.The Minister also chaired District Road Safety Committee meeting after the inauguration, and also instructed NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) and traffic police department to avoid road accident in Nagpur district.
Minister of Road,Transport and Highways & Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises- Shri Nitin Jairam Gadkari.
Lohri, a harvest Festival of North India is celebrated in January 13
The festival of harvest, Lohri is being celebrated on January 13 every year in North India, especially in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Chandigarh. Lohri marks the end of the long nights of winter and welcome the longer days of summer, as the Sun begins its journey to the Northern Hemisphere, which is celebrated with a bonfire.
Top 25 Current Affairs Headlines: 12 & 13 January 2020
- Petroleum minister Pradhan launched PURVODAYA mission in steel sector in Kolkata, West Bengal
- ‘Yashaswini scheme’ was launched by the Union Minister Smriti Irani in Goa
- Govt promulgated ordinance for amendment in laws to ease coal mine auctions
- Overview of Prime Minister Modi’s 2 day official visit to Kolkata,West Bengal
- HM Amit shah 2-day visit to Gujarat; launches project VISHWAS & Cyber AASHVAST in Gandhinagar
- Tehran Dialogue Forum-23rd gulf conference; India supports Hormuz Peace initiative 2020
- RBI curbs functions of Sri Guru Raghavendra Sahakara Bank; withdraw limit set to Rs.35000
- SEBI extends April 2022 deadline for separation of chairman & MD posts for top 500 listed entities firms
- BCCI annual awards 2018-19 announced: Jasprit Bumrah receives Polly Umrigar award
- Robert Abela wins Prime minister election of Malta
- Tsai Ing-Wen wins Taiwan’s Presidential election for the second time
- Haitham bin Tariq Al Said appointed as the new ruler of Oman
- Flipkart former CEO Sachin Bansal acquires DHFL General Insurance for Rs 100 crore
- Shopper malware affects 14.23% Indian users: Kaspersky report
- Two Coast Guard ships Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur commissioned at Kolkata
- Tennis legend Novak djokovic defeats Nadal to make Serbia winner of 1st ATP Cup 2020 held in Sydney, Australia
- Noted Kerala Cartoonist Thomas Antony passes away at 62
- Portuguese motorcycle rider Paulo Goncalves passes away at 40
- New India: Selected Writings 2014-19 of Arun Jaitely, Foreword by PM Modi to be released in Feb
- Union External Affairs Minister recently launched a book titled ‘PAX SINICA: Implications for the Indian Dawn’
- Indian embassy in Nepal celebrates Vishwa hindi diwas ; launches Nepali translation of Swami Vivekananda’s ‘Karma Yoga’ among 4 books
- National Youth Day is observed on January 12, 2020 and PM marks 157th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda at Belur Math
- Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated 31st Road Safety Campaign in Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Lohri, a harvest Festival of North India is celebrated in January 13