We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 5 October 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
8th Edition of India- Sri Lanka Military Exercise Mitra Shakti – 2021 Held in Sri LankaThe 8th Edition of India-Sri Lanka bilateral joint Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti – 2021’ was scheduled to be conducted at Combat Training School, Ampara, Sri Lanka from October 4 to 15, 2021.
- The duration of the exercise was about 12 days.
- Objective: To promote close relations between armies of both countries and enhance inter-operability and sharing best practices in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
- An all-arms contingent of 120 personnel of the Indian Army is participating in the military
- Mitra Shakti is a military exercise that will be conducted every year between armies of India and Sri Lanka. The exercise doesn’t take place in 2020 due to the COVID-19.
About Sri Lanka:
Capital – Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
President – Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Currency – Sri Lankan Rupee
>>Read Full News
Electricity Rules 2021 promulgated for Transmission System Planning; GNA introduced
i.The Ministry of Power reviewed the existing transmission planning framework based on long-term access (LTA) which resulted in the promulgation of the Electricity (Transmission System Planning, Development and Recovery of Inter-State Transmission Charges) Rules 2021 on October 3, 2021.
ii.These rules saw the introduction of General Network Access (GNA) which will ease the power generating companies to get an easier access to the electricity transmission network across the country or inter-state.
iii.Also, for the first time, these rules have enabled that the transmission capacity can be sold, shared or purchased by the states and generators as per their requirements.
About Ministry of Power:
Union Minister– Raj Kumar Singh (Constituency- Arrah, Bihar)
Minister of State (MoS)– Krishan Pal Gurjar (Constituency- Faridabad, Haryana)
>>Read Full News
Coal Ministry set up panel to review project execution timelineThe Coal Ministry has constituted a panel to review and benchmark the timelines in project execution.
- The panel will also review tendering process by examining tenders having a value of more than Rs 300 crore of Coal India Limited (CIL), its subsidiaries and other PSUs.
- The committee has been set up under the chairmanship of Joint Secretary and Financial Advisor comprising of representatives from NTPC, IOCL, PGCIL and Director (T), ECL as member secretary
- The objective of the committee is to suggest a robust and efficient set of timelines and whether statutory clearances may be obtained prior to issuing tender.
Note: Coal India accounts for over 80 per cent of domestic coal output. The company is eyeing one billion tonnes of production target by 2023-24.
Minister for Coals and Mines is Pralhad Joshi
About Coal India Limited
It is an Indian government-owned coal mining and refining corporation.
Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
Chairman cum Managing Director(MD): Pramod Agrawal
Alibaug White Onion, Wada Kolam Rice, Edayur Chilli, Kuttiattoor Mango and Chinnor rice Received GI Tag
Alibaug White Onion & Wada Kolam Rice of Maharashtra, Edayur Chilli and Kuttiattoor Mango of Kerala and Chinnor rice of Madhya Pradesh (MP) got the GI Tag.
Mahashtra’s Alibaug White Onion & Wada Kolam rice get GI Tag
The famous white onion of Alibaug, Raigar district in Maharashtra got the Geographical Indication (GI) tag. It will provide a unique identity to this crop and expansion in the agricultural market.
i.The variety has medicinal quality and it is used for the treatment of heart diseases and controlling cholesterol. It helps in the creation of insulin, beneficial for diabetics patients. It was mentioned in the official gazette in 1883.
ii.It has a unique sweet taste and no-tear factor.
iii.The average income generated from this crop is around Rs 2 lakh per acre.
About Geographical Indication (GI)
- It is a mark of authenticity and ensures that registered authorized users or at least those residing inside the geographic territory are allowed to use the popular product names.
- GI tag in India is governed by Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration & Protection) Act, 1999. It is issued by the Geographical Indications Registry (Chennai).
India Hosted World’s Largest Virtual Fintech Festival GFF 2021India hosted the 2nd edition of Global FinTech Festival (GFF) 2021, the World’s largest virtual fintech festival from September 28 to 30, 2021.
- Theme: ‘FinTech: Empowering a Global Digital Economy’.
i.GFF 2021 is organised by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Fintech Convergence Council (FCC) and Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) along with the Payments Council of India (PCI).
ii.Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman was the Chief Guest of the event which was presented by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
iii.At the GFF 2021 Nirmala Sitharaman released the ‘UN Report on Responsible Digital Payments’.
iv.She specified India as a prime destination for digital payments and activities as it has the highest Fintech adoption rate of 87 percent compared to the global average rate of 64 percent.
v.At the GFF 2021, NPCI has partnered with YES BANK and launched first-of-its-kind ‘RuPay On-the-Go’ contactless payments solutions, in association with fintech infrastructure partner-Neokred and manufacturing partner- Seshaasai.
About National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
Establishment – 2008
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO – Dilip Asbe
>>Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
World Bank Approved – US$150 Million Program for Tamil Nadu, US$40 Million Project for Meghalaya
The World Bank (WB) Board of Executive Directors has approved a US$ 150 million (~ Rs 1,112 crore) program titled ‘Chennai City Partnership: Sustainable Urban Services Program’ to support Tamil Nadu‘s vision of making Chennai into a world-class city that is more green, livable, and resilient to climate change.
- The program will improve the quality of 4 key urban services such as water supply and sewerage, mobility, health, and solid waste management.
- The Chennai Metropolitan city, which is being India’s 4th most populous metropolitan area is home to around 10.9 million people.
WB Approved US$ 40 million Project for Meghalaya
WB also approved a US$ 40 million (around Rs 296 crore) project titled ‘Meghalaya Health Systems Strengthening Project’ to improve the quality of health services in Meghalaya and strengthen the state’s capacity to handle health emergencies, including the COVID-19.
- All 11 districts of the state will benefit from the project and it will enable women to better utilize healthcare services at the community level.
- The Under-5 mortality in Meghalaya in FY20 was about 40 deaths per 1,000 live births and Stunting among under-5 was about 47 percent.
- Non-communicable diseases (including hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer) account for more than half of the disease burden in the state.
About Tamil Nadu:
Governor – R.N. Ravi
Wildlife Sanctuary – Vallanadu Black Buck Sanctuary, Grizzled Giant Squirrel Wildlife Sanctuary, Kanyakumari Wildlife Sanctuary
Zoological Park – Madras Crocodile Bank Trust/Centre for Herpetology
About World Bank:
Establishment – 1944 as The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Headquarters – Washington D.C., USA
President – David Malpass
Members – 189
SBI and Indian Navy Launched NAV-eCash CardIndian Navy and State Bank of India (SBI) launched SBI’s NAV-eCash Card onboard India’s largest Naval Aircraft Carrier INS (Indian Naval Ship) Vikramaditya.
- C S Setty, Managing Director (Retail & Digital Banking), SBI and Vice Admiral R Harikumar, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command have participated in the launch.
- Difficulty: The infrastructure at naval ships inhibits traditional payment solutions as there will be no connection in the high seas.
- The NAV-eCash card has dual-chip technology that will facilitate both online and offline transactions.
- It will overcome the difficulties faced by navy personnel onboard in handling physical cash during deployment of the ship at high seas.
- SBI also plans to introduce the same card in other naval ships and various defence establishments for creating a secured, convenient and sustainable payment ecosystem.
About State Bank of India (SBI):
Establishment – 1st July 1955
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman – Dinesh Kumar Khara
Tagline – The Banker to Every Indian
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
David Julius And Ardem Patapoutian Win 2021 Nobel Prize in Medicine
American scientists David Julius and Lebanese-American molecular biologist Ardem Patapoutian won the 2021 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch.
- The discovery explains how heat, cold and mechanical force can initiate the nerve impulses that allow us to perceive and adapt to the world around us.
- This finding is being used to develop treatments for a wide range of disease conditions, including chronic pain.
David Julius: –
i.David Julius is an American physiologist and a professor at the University of California, San Francisco. He is well known for his work on molecular mechanisms of pain sensation and heat.
ii.He was also the 2010 Shaw Prize recipient in Life Science and Medicine and the 2020 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences.
Ardem Patapoutian :-
Ardem Patapoutian is a Lebanese-American molecular biologist and neuroscientist of Armenian descent at Scripps Research in La Jolla, California.
Gist About Noble Prize
Nobel Prizes are conferred to the recipients who have contributed the greatest benefit to humankind in the areas of the fields of Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace according to the Sir Alfred Nobel’s will of 1895.
>>Read Full News
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Amitabh Bachchan Became the Coindcx’s First Brand AmbassadorIndia’s first crypto unicorn CoinDCX appointed Mr.Amitabh Bachchan as its first Brand Ambassador to increase crypto awareness and to make crypto as an emerging asset class.Amitabh is being an crypto investor himself and also launched his own NFT (non-fungible token) recently.
- CoinDCX believed that this collaboration will help to gain credibility among new users.
- CoinDCX recently became India’s first crypto unicorn after raising $90 million in its Series C funding round with the help of Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin’s B Capital Group and other investors.
- CoinDCX also recently launched an awareness campaign and ‘Happy Day Rewards’ campaign.
Established in – 2018
Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of CoinDCX – Sumit Gupta
Headquarter – Mumbai,Maharashtra.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
PM Launched JJM Mobile App; Rashtriya Jal Jeevan KoshIn October 2021, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi virtually launched the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) mobile application to create awareness about the mission and to improve the transparency and accountability of schemes under the JJM.
i.PM also launched the Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh, which will facilitate any individual, institution, corporation, or philanthropist, be it in India or abroad, to contribute to providing tap water connection.
ii.The JJM mobile app will contain information about the JJM such as the number of households that received water, quality of water, etc.
iii.In August 2021, as per 15th Finance Commission recommendations Rs 1.42 Lakh Crore was allocated to Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs) as a tied grant for water & sanitation from FY22 to FY26.
iv.So far, 5 crore households have been provided with tap water connections. In the aspirational districts, the number of tap connections has increased from 31 lakhs to 1.16 crore.
About Ministry of Jal Shakti:
Union Minister – Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (Constituency – Jodhpur, Rajasthan)
Minister of State – Prahlad Singh Patel (Constituency – Damoh, Madhya Pradesh), Bishweswar Tudu (Mayurbhanj, Odisha)
>>Read Full News
Bhupender Yadav Launches ‘Wetlands of India’ PortalOn the occassion of Gandhi Jayanti (October 2, 2021), Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Bhupender Yadav launched a web portal – ‘Wetlands of India Portal’ (http://indianwetlands.in/. Iconic Week of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav of MoEFCC was observed on 4-10th October 2021.
- Objective- The portal is a single point access to all information relating to wetlands.
i.The portal is a dynamic system for processing information and making it available to the stakeholders in an efficient and accessible manner.
ii.The portal has been developed under a Technical Cooperation project “Wetlands Management for Biodiversity and Climate Protection” (Wetlands Project) of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in partnership with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
iii.The project is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) under the International Climate Initiative (IKI).
iv.The portal also hosts capacity building material, data repository, videos and and information for students. Importantly, a dashboard for each State and UT has been developed to access the portal and populate it with information of wetlands in their administration.
About Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change(MoEFCC):
Union Minister – Bhupender Yadav (Constituency – Rajasthan)
Minister of State (MoS) – Ashwini Kumar Choubey (Constituency – Buxar, Bihar)
New Species of Blind Freshwater Eel Discovered in MumbaiA new species of swamp eel was discovered in Mumbai,Maharashtra and named it as the Rakthamichthys Mumba (Mumbai blind eel). This is the fifth species from the genus Rakthamicthys to be described from India.
- The word ‘Mumba’ derived from Marathi language, which honours Mumba Aai, a deity worshipped by inhabitants of the city.
- It was published in Aqua International Journal of Ichthyology.
i.Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray’s younger son Tejas Thackeray and the team had found this species at Thackeray Wildlife Foundation in a 40-foot deep well on the premises of a blind school at Jogeshwari West in 2019.
ii.The scientists Jayasimhan Praveenraj, Anil Mohapatra, and Annam Pavan-Kumar were also the part of discoveries.
iii.The species has a slender, sub-cylindrically elongated body and is cord or thread-like with striations on the muscle. The middle portion of the bulbous head is the deepest and widest part of its body.
iv.The body is pinkish-red with numerous blood vessels all over.
FC Goa wins maiden Durand Cup 2021Indian Super League side FC Goa win their maiden Durand Cup Football Tournament title after a 1-0 win over local giants Mohammedan Sporting Club in the final at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata, West Bengal on October 3, 2021.
- Captain Edu Bedia scored the winner from a free kick in the 105th minute after the match went into the extra time.
Note: The Durand Cup is the first-ever trophy for FC Goa coach Juan Ferrando’s on Indian soil.
About FC Goa
Football Club Goa is an Indian professional football club based in Goa
League: Indian Super League
Owner: Goan Football Club Pvt. Ltd
Head coach: Juan Ferrando
About Mohammedan Sporting Club
Mohammedan Sporting Club is an Indian professional football club based in Kolkata, West Bengal.
President: Gulam Ashraf
Head coach: Andrey Chernyshov
Founded: 22 February 1891
India observes 2021 Wildlife Week from Oct 2 to 8
In India, Wildlife Week is annually observed from October 2 to October 8 across the country with an aim to protect and preserve the flora and fauna of India.
- The 2021 Wildlife Week, the 67th edition, is being celebrated with the WildLife Day theme 2021 ‘Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet’.
- Union Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav started the Wildlife Week celebrations by tiger rallies in 18 tiger range States across 51 reserves in the country as part of ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’ with the theme ‘India for Tigers – A Rally on Wheels’.
Note :- The mentioned theme is the same which was observed in 2021 WildLife Day i.e., March 3rd 2021.
Objective of the Wildlife Week
i.To create awareness among people on the conservation and protection of the wildlife.
ii.To implement more measures to preserve the wildlife.
iii.To discuss all the issues related to the preservation of the wildlife.
About Wildlife Week
i.The idea of Wildlife Week was conceptualised by the Indian Board of Wildlife in 1952 to raise awareness on the long term goals of protecting the wildlife of India.
ii.Initially, in 1955 the Wildlife day was celebrated which was later upgraded as the Wildlife Week in 1957
>>Read Full News
International Day of Non-Violence or Gandhi Jayanti observed on October 2, 2021i.Gandhi Jayanti, the birthday of ‘Father of Nation’, Mahatma Gandhi was observed on October 2. The year 2021 marked his 152nd anniversary. His birth anniversary is celebrated as the International Day of Non-Violence by the United Nations (UN).
ii.This day was established through the UN General Assembly (UNGA) resolution A/RES/61/271 of 15 June 2007.
iii.The Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh Radha Krishna Mathur unveiled the world’s largest National Flag, made of Khadi cotton at Leh, Ladakh. This Monumental Khadi National Flag was prepared by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
Static Info about Mahatma Gandhi:
i.The original name of ‘Father of nation’ was Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
ii.His major Ideologies are: Truth and nonviolence; Satyagraha; Sarvodaya; Swaraj; Trusteeship; and Swadeshi.
iii.He was assassinated on January, 30 1948. This day is observed as the National Martyr’s day in India.
>>Read Full News
World Day for Farmed Animals 2021 – October 2The annual observance of World Day for Farmed Animals (WDFA) on October 2 .It is organised by international animals’ welfare organization, World Animal Protection along with Asia for Animals coalition.
i.It has been observed since 1983 to spread the awareness of killing of innocent aquatic and terrestrial animals by anthropogenic activities.
ii.The pledge titled #FastAgainstSlaughter was promised on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti ie. October 2 on different social media platforms.
iii.WDFA 2021 has partnered with The Animal Activism Mentorship Program, The Animal Law Firm, Animal Justice, Casa Vegana, Jewish Veg, SWITCH4GOOD, Their Turn (the social justice movement of our time), and World Day for Farmed Animals Asia, Egg-Truth, Dairy-Truth, among others.
About Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM):
WDFA is a program of Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM), a national nonprofit organization advocating for animal rights and veganism.
Headquarters – New York, USA
Founded – 1976
World Animal Day 2021- October 4World Animal Day is celebrated annually on October 4, the feast day of Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. The day is celebrated to take action for animal rights and welfare.
- Animal Protection Activist, Heinrich Zimmermann initiated the observance of the day, after which UK-based animal welfare charity, Naturewatch Foundation is annually observing this day. In 2003, Naturewatch Foundation launched the first World Animal Day website.
- Heinrich Zimmermann organised the first World Animal Day on March 24, 1925 at Berlin, Germany, then from 1929, World Animal Day was observed on October 4 & received universal acceptance in 1931 at the International Animal Protection Congress in Florence, Italy and then observed on October 4 every year.
2021 World Animal Day Winners:
Each year, Naturewatch Foundation announce the World Animal Day Winners through which they give a grant to amazing projects improving animal welfare across the globe, carried out by World Animal Day Ambassadors. There are 2 main grant winners, and 2 mini-grant project winners for the year 2021.They are
2 Main Grant Winners:
i.International Organization for Animal Protection (OIPA), Cameroon.
ii.Africa Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW), Kenya.
2 Mini Grant Winners:
i.Swaziland Animal Welfare Society (SAWS), Swaziland
ii.Asociación para la Defensa de los Derechos de los Animales (ADDA), Bolivia.
About Naturewatch Foundation:
Chief Executive Officer- Caroline Ruane
Headquarter – United Kingdom
IFCCI inks pact with MICC to facilitation investments from FranceThe Indo-French Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IFCCI) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) to facilitation investments from France into Maharashtra.
- The agreement was signed at IFCCI’s 44th Annual General Meeting in the presence of Maharashtra’s Industries and Mining Minister Subhash Desai and Emmanuel Lenain, Ambassador of France to India.
Note: IFCCI re-elected Sumeet Anand, Founder of IndSight Growth Partners as President for the second term.
i.France is one of the India’s top economic partners with over 1,000 French firms established in the country generating 350,000 jobs.
It stands for Indo-French Chamber of Commerce and Industry
President: Sumeet Anand
Established in – 1977
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
Wildlife sanctuaries: Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary located in Bhandara and Gondia , Chikhaldara Wildlife Sanctuary located in Amravati.
Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma Launched ‘Mission Basundhara’ for Streaming Land Records
The Chief Minister (CM) Assam Himanta Biswa Sarma launched ‘Mission Basundhara’ to resolve the state’s land record by enabling the state’s people to resolve their land-related issues easily through an online system.It was organised by the Revenue and Disaster Management Department in Guwahati.
- Objective: To secure the land rights of the indigenous population and to eliminate the middleman from the system.
- The state government has planned to spend around Rs.225 crore for the implementation of the mission.
Features of Mission Basundhara:
i.The mission will clear, update land records, and rebuild all lost land records of the state in a mission mode by offering 9 land revenue related services online.
ii.The 9 services under the mission:
- Mutation by right of inheritance
- Mutation after deed registration
- The partition of undisputed cases
- Annual Patta to periodic patta conversion
- Reclassification of land
- Removing persons who are no longer in possession under Rule 116, ALRR (Assam Land and Revenue Regulation), 1886.
- Allotment of certificate to periodic patta
- Legacy data updation/rectification
- Mobile number update of Pattadar
iii.The mission would conduct a polygon survey of yet-to-be surveyed 672 non-cadastral villages of Assam by March 31, 2022.
iv.The mission would also enable the state to make total digitization of maps and integration of maps, land records under the Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme.
v.The application period of the portal was scheduled from October 2, 2021 – to November 30, 2021, and disposal to be within May 10, 2022.
Governor – Jagadish Mukhi
Stadium – Bhupen Hazarika Cricket Stadium, Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium.
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 5 October 2021|
|1||Indian Army Participates in the 8th Edition of India – Sri Lanka Military Exercise Mitra Shakti -2021|
|2||Electricity Rules 2021 promulgated for Transmission System Planning; GNA introduced|
|3||Coal Ministry set up panel to review project execution timeline|
|4||Alibaug White Onion & Wada Kolam Rice, Edayur Chilli and Kuttiattoor Mango and Chinnor rice of got the GI Tag|
|5||India Hosted World’s Largest Fintech Festival GFF 2021|
|6||World Bank Approved – US$150 Million Program for Tamil Nadu, US$40 Million Project for Meghalaya|
|7||SBI and Indian Navy Launched NAV-eCash Card|
|8||David Julius And Ardem Patapoutian Win 2021 Nobel Prize in Medicine|
|9||Amitabh Bachchan Became the Coindcx’s First Brand Ambassador|
|10||PM Launched JJM Mobile App; Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh|
|11||Bhupender Yadav Launches ‘Wetlands of India’ Portal|
|12||New Species of Blind Freshwater Eel Discovered in Mumbai|
|13||FC Goa wins maiden Durand Cup|
|14||India observes 2021 Wildlife Week from Oct 2 to 8|
|15||International Day of Non-Violence or Gandhi Jayanti observed on October 2, 2021|
|16||October 2 observes as the World Day for Farmed Animals|
|17||World Animal Day 2021- October 4|
|18||IFCCI inks pact with MICC to facilitation investments from France|
|19||Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma Launched ‘Mission Basundhara’ for Streaming Land Records|