We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 29 October 2022, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2022 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2022 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2022 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
We are Hiring – Subject Matter Expert | CA Video Creator | Content Developers(Pondicherry)
Terai Elephant Reserve in UP: 33rd ER in India & 2nd ER in UP The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has approved the establishment of Terai Elephant Reserve (TER) as part of ‘Project Elephant’ in Lakhimpur Kheri district of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- The TER will cover an area of 3,049.39 square kilometres, encompassing the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) and Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR) in UP.
- The TER would be the 2nd Elephant Reserve (ER) in UP and the 33rd overall in India.
Terai Elephant Reserve (TER), UP
i.The TER would comprise forest areas of PTR and DTR, as well as the Dudhwa National Park (DNP) and two adjoining sanctuaries, Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary (KWS), Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary (KGWS), the Dudhwa buffer zone, and parts of the south Kheri forest division.
- The TER is situated on the Nepal-India border.
About Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC):
Union Minister – Bhupender Yadav (Rajya Sabha – Rajasthan)
Minister of State (MoS) – Ashwini Kumar Choubey
>> Read Full News
India suffered Income Loss of 5.4% of GDP due to Heatwave in 2021: Lancet Report
i.As per the 7th Lancet Report of ‘Lancet Countdown on health and climate change: health at the mercy of fossil fuels’, India suffered loss of 167.2 billion potential labour hours in 2021 due to heat waves which resulted in income loss equal to 5.4% of India’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product), the highest among the G20 nations in 2021.
ii.India faced 55% increase in deaths due to extreme heat between 2000-2004 and 2017-2021.
iii.Climate change is a key factor in a rising heatwave in India. It occurred 30 times more because of this scenario.
iv.On the global front, heat-related deaths have increased by 68% between 2000–04 and 2017–21.
v.Heat exposure led to 470 billion potential labour hours loss in 2021 with potential income losses equivalent to 0.72% of the global economic output.
About The Lancet:
Editor-in-Chief– Richard Horton
Headquarter– London, United Kingdom (UK)
>> Read Full News
3rd Advance Estimates of Area and Production of Horticultural Crops for 2021-22 released
On October 29, 2022, the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) released the 3rd Advance Estimates of the area and production of various horticultural crops for 2021-22.
- According to this estimate, a record 342.33 million tonnes are estimated to be produced in an area of 28.08 million hectares. It shows an increase of about 7.73 million tonnes (an increase of 2.3%) over the year 2020-21 (final).
- The estimates are based upon the information received from States, Union Territories (UTs) and other government source agencies.
Table showing the estimates:
|Total Horticulture||2020-21 (Final)||2021-22|
(Second Advance Estimate)
|2021-22 (3rd Advance Estimate)|
|Area (in million hectares)||27.48||27.74||28.08|
|Production (in Million Tonnes)||334.60||341.63||342.33|
Table showing the Estimates of horticulture crops:
|Production||Estimate 2020-2021(million tonnes)||2020-2021 (million tonnes)|
Shiprocket Becomes 1st Inter-City Logistics Provider to join ONDC networkOn 27th October 2022, Shiprocket International(Shiprocket) went live on Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) network and became the first Inter-city logistics provider to join the ONDC network. This enables sellers across all segments to ship their products to towns and cities across India.
- The first successful transaction via Shiprocket was fulfilled on 22nd October 2022.
i.Due to the increasing digitisation across India, the emerging sellers from tier 2 & 3 cities need logistics support. This partnership will create an inclusive and open-access tech ecosystem for those sellers to ease their business.
ii.Under this partnership, Shiprocket, with 1lakh customers will enable sellers from around 24000 pin codes to select delivery partners to ship their products across India (both cash on delivery(COD) and pre paid options.
i.Shiprocket aims to offer data-backed real-time courier recommendations, software to manage operations end-to-end, same-day or next-day delivery capabilities and warehousing capabilities across 45 locations in India.
ii.ONDC aims to enable an inclusive eCommerce ecosystem for all of India(including the small village in a remote corner of India) and the opportunity to sell their products to customers across India.
iii.ONDC and Shiprocket are working to enable warehousing-as-a-service on the network, allowing small and medium businesses to offer same-day shipping to their customers.
McKinsey & Company Report: India Should Accelerate Green Investments to USD 12.1 Trillion by 2050 According to the McKinsey & Company report “Decarbonising India: Charting a Pathway for Sustainable Growth,” India’s decarbonisation will require an estimated USD 12.1 trillion (5.9% of GDP) in green investments until 2050 under the “accelerated” scenario.
- India has the capacity to create 287 gigatons (Gt) of carbon space for the world if it increases its efforts to combat climate change.
- This translates to about half of the global carbon budget needed to have a reasonable chance of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (1.5°C).
i.India declared its intention to become a net-zero emitter by 2070 at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conference of the Parties 26 (COP 26), marking a crucial turning point in the battle against climate change.
- According to earlier estimates, the transition to net zero emissions by 2070 will require investments worth USD 10 trillion.
ii.Despite low per-capita emissions (1.8 tons of CO2), India is the world’s third-largest emitter, generating a net 2.9 gigatons of carbon-dioxide equivalent (GtCO2e) each year as of 2019.
iii.Six sectors – Steel, Power, Automotive, Aviation, Cement, & Agriculture account for the majority (about 70%) of these emissions.
Key Messages from the Report:
i.With current trends, India’s net GreenHouse Gas (GHG) emissions will climb to 11.8 GtCO2e by 2070, up from 2.9 GtCO2e in 2019.
ii.According to the line-of-sight (LoS) scenario, India may reduce annual emissions from 11.8 GtCO2e to 1.9 GtCO2e by 2070, a 90% reduction in economic emissions intensity compared to 2019.
iii.The report cites factors that might benefit India, such as lowering the cost of renewables, electric vehicles, and progressive legislation.
- It also raises concerns about challenges, such as adding 10 GW (gigawatt) of renewable energy, increasing to 40-50 GW per year, and lowering battery and hydrogen costs.
iv.If it transitions successfully, India could save a total of USD 1.7 trillion in foreign exchange (forex) by 2070 from fewer imports of coking coal and crude oil.
v.India has the potential to evolve into a manufacturing and Research & Development (R&D) hub for cleantech including batteries, electrolysers, and electric vehicles.
NHIDCL signs MoU with NIT Silchar for Innovation in Highways Construction On 26th October 2022, the National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd (NHIDCL) and National Institute Of Technology (NIT), Silchar, Assam has signed an MoU to find innovative solutions for highway construction.
- NHIDCL has signed the MoU for seeking and promoting innovative technologies to find solutions to the challenges posed in the construction of highways facing extreme climatic conditions.
The MoU was signed between Prof. Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Director of NIT Silchar and Chanchal Kumar, Managing Director of NHIDCL.
NHIDCL, a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways(MoRTH).
i. Under this MoU, both organisations will work together to achieve the national objectives.
ii. Both NHIDCL and NIT Silchar will leverage their expertise in works related to road infrastructure and highway engineering.
i. NHIDCL also signed MoU with other prestigious institutes during the current year 2022-23, they are,
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research- Central Road Research Institute (CSIR-CRRI)
- Indian Institute Of Technology (IIT) Roorkee (Uttarakhand)
- IIT Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh)
- IIT Patna (Bihar)
- NIT Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir)
- NIT Agartala (Tripura)
- National Skill Development Council (NSDC)
ii. NHIDCL has already signed with IIT Bombay and IIT Guwahati, and similar MoUs are currently being discussed with additional IITs and NITs.
About the National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd (NHIDCL):
Managing Director- Chanchal Kumar
Head Office- New Delhi
About the National Institute Of Technology (NIT), Silchar:
Director- Prof. Sivaji Bandyopadhyay
Location- Silchar, Assam
SIMBEX 2022: Indian Navy Conducts Maritime Exercise with Singapore at Visakhapatnam
The Indian Navy will hold the 29th edition of the Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX), a joint naval combat exercise, from October 26 to 30, 2022, in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh (AP).
- For the exercise, two ships from the Republic of Singapore Navy—RSS Stalwart, a Formidable Class Frigate, and RSS Vigilance, a Victory Class Corvette—arrived at Visakhapatnam.
Fleet Commander of the Republic of Singapore Navy Rear Admiral Sean Wat Jianwen; Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Eastern Naval Command Vice Admiral Biswajeet Dasgupta, and Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet Rear Admiral Sanjay Bhalla.
SIMBEX-2022 is being held in two phases: The Harbour Phase in Visakhapatnam and the Sea Phase in the Bay of Bengal.
- During the Harbour Phase, the two navies engaged in substantial professional and sporting encounters, including cross-deck visits, Subject Matter Expert Exchanges (SMEE), and planning meetings.
- The Sea Phase entails advanced surface, anti-air, and anti-submarine warfare exercises, as well as weapon firings in the Bay of Bengal.
Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX)
i.The SIMBEX series of exercises began in 1994 under the name Exercise Lion King.
- SIMBEX is the Indian Navy’s longest- uninterrupted bilateral maritime exercise with any foreign navy.
ii.The exercise illustrates the high level of maritime cooperation between India and Singapore.
Additionally, it emphasises the dedication and contributions of the two countries in boosting maritime security in the Indian Ocean region (IOR).
India’s per capita GHG Emissions below the World Average of 6.3 tCO2e: UNEP report
As per the report released by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) titled ‘Emissions Gap Report 2022: The Closing Window’ , India’s per capita Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHGs) at 2.4 tCO2e (tonne carbon dioxide equivalent) are below the world average of 6.3 tCO2e in 2020.
- On the other hand, United States (US) GHG emissions at 14 tCO2e are far above the world’s average. It is followed by 13 tCO2e in Russia, 9.7 tCO2e in China, about 7.5 tCO2e in Brazil and Indonesia, and 7.2 tCO2e in the European Union (EU).
- Among G20 nations, emissions of India are about half of the G20 average, whereas Saudi Arabia has more than twice the G20 region.
- The report was released ahead of the UN Climate Change conference (COP27) in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt from November 6-18, 2022.
i.In the report, the GHG emissions included land use, land-use change, and forestry (LULUCF).
ii.On average, Least Developed Countries (LDCs) emit 2.3 tCO2e per capita annually.
iii.India’s contribution to historical cumulative CO2 emissions (excluding LULUCF) to total fossil CO2 emissions from 1850 to 2019 is 3%, as compared with US (25%) and the EU (17%) LDCs contributed only 0.5% to the same.
iv.As per the report, to meet the Paris Agreement goals, the world needs to reduce GHGs by unprecedented levels over the next 8 years.
v.The Unconditional and conditional NDCs (Nationally Determined Contribution) are estimated to reduce global emissions in 2030 by 5% and 10% respectively.
vi.To hold global warming to 1.5 degree Celsius, emissions must fall by 45% by 2030. For the two degrees Celsius target, a 30% cut is needed.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI lifts ban on new branches by Tamilnad Mercantile Bank; Dhanlaxmi Bank under Monitoringi.The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has lifted the three-year ban on Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu- based Tamilnad Mercantile Bank (TMB) on opening new branches w.e.f. October 21, 2022. following its listing in the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and National Stock Exchange (NSE) on September 15, 2022.
ii.The RBI has placed Thrissur-based Dhanlaxmi Bank under its tight monitoring after the latter’s delay in capital raising. As per the Basel-III norms, banks are required to have a capital to risk weighted assets ratio (CRAR) of 9%. However, Dhanlaxmi Bank’s CRAR dropped to around 13% at the end of March 2022 from 14.5% in March 2021.
iii.RBI in its article ‘Estimation of Green GDP for India’ stated the need for a dedicated wing in the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) which will be responsible for the providing time-series database required for estimation of Green GDP.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors– Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao, T. Rabi Sankar
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Established– 1st April 1935
>> Read Full News
IRDAI Sets up Consultative Committee to Increase Health Insurance Penetration in India
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), India’s insurance regulator has set up a 15-member consultative committee for 2 years, for increasing health insurance coverage in India.
- The committee will meet physically or virtually at least once in a year or quarter.
- The 15-member consultative committee will be headed by Rakesh Joshi, a member at IRDAI and will also have representatives from the healthcare and insurance industries.
Other members of the committee:
i.Healthcare industry – Devi Prasad Shetty, chairman of Narayana Health; Naresh Trehan, chairman and managing director (MD) of Medanta Heart Institute; Alexander Thomas, national president of Association of Healthcare Providers India; Arati Verma, senior vice president of Max Healthcare, and Ajay Nair.
ii.Insurance industry – Neerja Kapur, chairman and MD of New India Assurance; Bhargav Dasgupta, MD and CEO of ICICI Lombard General Insurance, Mayank Bathwal, CEO of Aditya Birla Health Insurance, and Vibha Padalkar, MD and CEO of HDFC Life.
iii.The committee will also have representation from the third party administrators (TPA) with Nayan Shah, CEO, Paramount Health Services & Insurance TPA and Vikram Chhatwal, CEO, Medi-Assist Insurance as members.
i.As per IRDAI, the committee will identify challenges in health insurance sector and make recommendations for its facilitation.
ii.The recommendations will be provided on appropriate product designs, including the universal standard product that is basic and simple with changing dynamics of healthcare.
- Additionally, the committee will also recommend upon standardisation of procedures amongst providers including for capture, collation, and analysis of data.
Note – According to IRDAI, health insurance premiums showed 18.9 percent year-on-year (YoY) growth in H1FY23, compared to 28.8 percent growth in the same period in FY22.
About Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI):
IRDAI is formed under the IRDAI, Act 1999 on the recommendation of Malhotra Committee.
Chairperson – Debasish Panda
Establishment – 1999 (Incorporated on 1st April 2000)
Headquarters – Hyderabad, Telangana
IRDAI Establishes 24-Member Panel to Develop Rural Insurance Cover; Headed by Thomas M. Devasia
In order to achieve the objective of “insurance for all,” the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has formed a 24-member committee to develop and suggest an affordable and comprehensive cover for the rural population.
- Thomas M. Devasia, an IRDAI Member (non-life), will serve as the chairman of the 24-person committee.
i.The committee’s mission is to develop a realistic strategy that would enable the industry to bridge the protection gap in untapped areas by utilizing digital transformation.
ii.IRDAI has directed the committee to recommend a regulatory framework for the Bima Vistaar cover, which is benefit-based and parametric in nature.
iii.The committee has also been instructed to create and recommend the structure and operation of a women-centric distribution channel called Bima Vahak.
- This will target underserved or rural areas and recommend the legal framework.
iv.The committee will examine and recommend ways to enhance the working and operations of Bima Vahak, Bima Vistaar, and Bima Sugam, a digital platform.
v.Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technology can be effectively used to reach the last mile by developing a digital platform.
NAREDCO Sets up NFC to Support Large-Scale Developers with Funds National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO), under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has formed a NAREDCO Finance Committee (NFC) on the sidelines of NAREDCO 24th Annual General Meeting (AGM) to support large-scale developers to access funds through financial institutions.
- NFC will also educate its members to enhance their credit ratings.
- Satish Kumar is the chairman of the newly formed NAREDCO Finance Committee (NFC).
i.This newly-formed Committee will especially focus on project financing, which fulfils practical requirements of construction by adhering to the construction cycle.
- The Committee will operate as a one-stop-shop, with various financing options from multiple large financial institutions and merchant bankers.Resurgent India Limited ,a merchant bank will be actively associated with the NFC.
ii.The members of NAREDCO can submit their application online for accessing funds with minimum documentation.
- NFC will limit the processing and in-principle approval time to 15 to30 days for an application.
- The NFC will also waive off the processing fee, award of concession on the applicable interest rate, and quick project approvals for financing with minimum documentation.
About National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO):
Director General – Alok Gupta
Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi
Establishment – 1998
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Hyderabadi Haleem Wins the ‘Most Popular GI’ Award in Food Category
Hyderabadi Haleem has won the National Intellectual Property Awards 2021 & 2022 under the ‘Most Popular Geographical Indications (GI) of India’ (Food stuff) category. Hyderabadi Hallem won the award in competition against 17 food items with GI status from across India including Rasgulla, Bikaneri Bhujia and Ratlami Sev.
- Piyush Goyal, the Minister of Commerce and Industry presented the award to the director of ‘Pista House’ and the president of ‘Hyderabad Haleem Makers Association’ MA Majeed at a function held in New Delhi, Delhi.
The awards for Most Popular GI of India are presented under 5 categories: Agriculture, Food Stuff, Handicrafts, Manufactured and Natural.
Other Winners of Most Popular GI of India:
- Agriculture- Kandhamal Haladi (Odisha)
- Handicraft- Thanjavur Art Plate(Tamil Nadu)
- Manufactured- Mysore Sandal Soap(Karnataka)
- Natural- Chunar Balua Patthar(Uttar Pradesh)
i.Background – In 2010, Hyderabadi Haleem was awarded the GI status, which expired in 2019. This was India’s first meat based food to get GI Tag.
- In 2022, the registrar of GI renewed the tag for the Hyderabadi Haleem dish for the next 10 years.
ii.The ‘Most Popular Geographical Indications (GI)’ Awards are based on public opinion and the Ministry of Commerce and Industry selects the dish based on voting.
iii.The majority of participants from India as well as other countries voted for Hyderabadi Haleem, which took place between 2nd August 2022 and 9th October 2022.
SS Rajamouli’s RRR wins Best International Film at Saturn Awards 2022
On 25th October 2022, SS Rajamouli’s “RRR-Rise Roar Revolt”, an Indian Telugu film, won the Best International Film Award at the 47th edition of Saturn Awards 2022 by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Films, held in Los Angeles, California, United States of America(USA).
- Saturn Awards 2022 marks the 50th anniversary of Saturn Awards.
- “RRR-Rise Roar Revolt”, directed by SS Rajamouli, was also nominated for the Best Action/Adventure Film award and Best Film Direction.
i. ‘RRR’ becomes the 2nd Indian film to win the Saturn Award after SS Rajamouli’s ‘Baahubali- The Conclusion’.
ii. RRR, which earned approximately Rs 1,200 crore at the worldwide box office, has won its first significant international award. It is the 4th highest-grossing Indian movie after Dangal, Baahubali 2, and KGF 2.
- Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao Jr. and Ram Charan featured in RRR period drama.
i. The Saturn Award was established by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films in 1972.
- The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films annually presents the prestigious Saturn Awards.
ii. The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films awards films in science fiction, fantasy, horror, and other genres belonging to genre fiction in films, TV, as well as streaming.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Emami signs Akshay Kumar as brand ambassador for BoroPlus cream
On 26th October 2022, Emami Limited has signed Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar as the new brand ambassador for its BoroPlus ayurvedic antiseptic cream.
- BoroPlus Antiseptic Cream used to prevent dry skin diseases,cuts, scratches, minor burns, wounds, cold sores and chapped skin.
About Akshay Kumar:
- He received the Padma Shri award from the Government of India in 2009 in the field of Art.
- According to the Forbes list of 2019, Akshay ranked 4th in the highest paid actor in the world.
- In Forbes list of 2020, He ranked 52nd in the world’s highest paid celebrities.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
KKR Acquires 100% stake in Ness Digital Engineering from TRG
On 27th October 2022, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. l.p (KKR & Co. Inc.), a leading global investment firm, signed a definitive agreement to acquire 100% stake in Ness Digital Engineering (Ness), a global full-lifecycle digital services transformation company, from The Rohatyn Group (TRG).
- The estimated value of the transaction is USD 500 million.
i. Ness is a leading provider of end-to-end digital transformation services that focuses on developing digital software platforms and solutions.
ii. It offers a wide range of digital practices like Cloud Engineering, Data and Analytics, Experience design, Intelligence engineering, and Salesforce for businesses across sectors.
iii. Ness has 4,000 staff spread across Eastern Europe, the USA, and India, with 45% of its staff members.
iv. For businesses of all sizes around the world, digital transformation and adoption are crucial strategies. According to KKR, Ness is well-positioned for growth, supported by its exceptional, experience-led product engineering heritage.
Note: KKR’s portfolio of technology investments, includes,
- Cloudera– a provider of enterprise-grade.
- Yayoi– a software developer, distributor, and support service provider for small and medium-sized enterprises in Japan.
- Probe CX– a provider of outsourced customer experience and business process outsourcing solutions in Australia
- MYOB– an Australian online business management company and Jio in India.
- Jio– next-generation technology platform that provides digital services across India.
About The Rohatyn Group (TRG):
Managing Director (MD)- Tom Kucera
Headquarters- New York, United States (US)
About Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. l.p.(KKR):
Co-Founder and Co-Executive Chairman- Henry R. Kravis & George R. Roberts
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Scientists Develops 1st Indigenous Overhauser Magnetometer
A team of Indian Scientists from the Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), (Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra) have developed the first indigenous Overhauser (OVH) Magnetometer as part of IIG’s technology development program.
- OM is one of the most accurate magnetometers which is extensively used by all magnetic observatories across the globe. This also reduces the cost of sampling and sensing experiments required for geomagnetic sampling.
- The sensors installed at the Alibag Magnetic Observatory (MO) can absolve India’s dependence on commercial OVH Magnetometer.
IIG is an autonomous research institution under the Department of Science and Technology(DST), Government of India
About OVH Magnetmeter:
i.OVH Magnetometer is known for its higher accuracy, sensitivity, and efficient power consumption. It finds applications in all magnetic observatories across the world and in international space programs.
ii.So far the India has been importing the OVH Magnetometer for such purposes. The indigenous OVH Magnetometer was developed with the aim to reduce the dependence on imports.
Testing of OVH Magnetmeter:
i.The team of scientists from the instrumentation division of IIG used several spectroscopic tools and theoretical simulations to understand the working of OVH sensor.
ii.The team also examined the performance of the sensor through various control experiments such as varying the sensor composition.
iii.These helped the team to optimize the sensor parameters and its associated electronics.
Experiments with the sensor installed at the Alibag MO for geomagnetic sampling found that the sensor reproduced the geomagnetic diurnal variations accurately and precisely showed the signatures of various space weather events such as geomagnetic storms, sudden impulses, etc.
- The performance of the indigenous OVH is on par with the commercial OVH sensor installed at the magnetic observatories of IIG.
i.At present, the sensor is being tested for its long-term stability.
ii.The sensor is set to be adapted for the outerspace environment to support the Indian space research program.
iii.The mechanism of the Dynamic Nuclear Polarization (DNP) of the project will support to develop a sensitive magnetic resonance imaging MRI) instrument.
SC-URBM: New technology for retrofitting non-earthquake-resistant buildings
i.Researchers have found a solution for retrofitting old non-earthquake-resistant buildings with a technology that can prevent major damage to such buildings from earthquakes without compromising on their strength.
- Most buildings, technically called unreinforced masonry (URM), were not built using modern building codes.Most developing countries located in earthquake-prone regions unreinforced brick masonry (URBM) has been a common practice in urban, semi-urban, and rural areas of India.
ii.The technology called semi-confined unreinforced brick masonry (SC-URBM) can resolve the problem of spread of settlements in earthquake-prone areas with constructions that have been built without following earthquake-preventive building codes.
- It provides better integral action of the confining elements and load-bearing walls to achieve enhanced seismic performance.
iii.SC-URBM can significantly enhance the energy dissipation capacity and ductility of the retrofitted building without compromising its strength, found by Researchers from Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
iv.A Pseudo Dynamic Testing Facility (PDTF) was used under the Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure (FIST) programme of the Department of Science and Technology (DST),Ministry of Science & Technology for affordable experimental evaluation of earthquake resistance of full prototype structural systems.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“DELHI UNIVERSITY: Celebrating 100 Glorious Years” by Hardeep S. Puri
Hardeep Singh Puri,Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India(GOI) edited a new book titled “DELHI UNIVERSITY: Celebrating 100 Glorious Years”.
i.The Book is Published by Rupa Publications India.
ii.Amitabh Bachchan, Indian Actor, has written the foreword of the book.
iii.This Book Highlights the viewpoints of Universities most distinguished alumni and faculty of 15 contributors.
iv.Other notable works by Hardeep S Puri :- The Security Council and the Politics of Chaos (2016); Delusional Politics: Back to the Future (2019); and Separating the Wheat from the Chaff: Decoding Dominant Narratives (2019).
- Amitabh Bachchan, Kiren Rijiju(Minister of Law and Justice), Dinesh Singh(then Vice Chancellor of delhi university), Meenakshi Gopinath, Shashi Tharoor, Bibek Debroy, Imtiaz Ali(filmmaker), Raian Karanjawala, Sanjeev Sanyal, Arnab Goswami, Dhananjaya Y. Chandrachud(Chief Justice of India), Lakshmi Puri, Namita Gokhale and Vijay Shekhar Sharma(CEO of Paytm) and Hardeep singh puri.
International Animation Day 2022 – October 28International Animation Day (IAD) is annually observed across the globe on October 28 to commemorate the birth of animation, the first public performance of projected moving images at Emile Reynaud’s Theatre Optique in Paris, France on the 28th October 1892.
- 28th October 2022 marks the observance of the 21st International Animation Day (IAD).
- The day is annually coordinated and promoted by Association Internationale du Film d’Animation (ASIFA).
i. In 2002, the Association Internationale du Film d’Animation (ASIFA) decided to observe 28th October of every year as International Animation Day (IAD) to mark the birth of animation.
ii. The 1st International Animation Day was observed on 28th October 2002.
About the Association Internationale du Film d’Animation (ASIFA):
ASIFA is a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)-supported Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO).
Objective- To unite the animation world in peace by trying to find ways for animators.
President – Deanna Morse
Establishment- 1960 in Annecy, France
>> Read Full News
Global Media and Information Literacy Week 2022 – 24th – 31st October
The United Nations(UN)’s Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL)Week is annually observed across the globe from 24th to 31st October to highlight the importance of media and information week The week offers a platform for the stakeholders to review and celebrate the progress achieved towards Media and information literacy for all.
- 24th to 31st October 2022 marks the observance of the 11th Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Week.
- The Global MIL week 2022 is hosted by Nigeria.
The theme of Global MIL Week 2022 is “Nurturing trust – A Media and Information Literacy Imperative”.
- The Global MIL Week 2022 focuses on trust and solidarity as it relates to people, media, digital platforms, governments, private sector, and non-governmental organizations.
Goa Govt plans to launch a Common Mobile app for entire taxi industry
The Goa government stated that it will introduce a common mobile application for the entire taxi industry in the state.
- It would be introduced to unite all taxi operators on a single platform.
- State Tourism Minister Rohan Khaunte and State Transport Minister Mauvin Godinho have discussed with Chief Minister Pramod Sawant about to launch a new mobile application to act as centralised platform for the state’s entire taxi industry.
Capital – Panaji
Chief Minister – Pramod Sawant
Governor – P.S.Sreedharan Pillai
*****Click Here View – AC Excluded News*****
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 29 October 2022|
|1||Terai Elephant Reserve in UP: 33rd ER in India & 2nd ER in UP|
|2||India suffered Income Loss of 5.4% of GDP due to Heatwave in 2021: Lancet Report|
|3||3rd Advance Estimates of Area and Production of Horticultural Crops for 2021-22 released|
|4||Shiprocket Becomes 1st Inter-City Logistics Provider to join ONDC network|
|5||McKinsey & Company Report: India Should Accelerate Green Investments to USD 12.1 Trillion by 2050|
|6||NHIDCL signs MoU with NIT Silchar for Innovation in Highways Construction|
|7||SIMBEX 2022: Indian Navy Conducts Maritime Exercise with Singapore at Visakhapatnam|
|8||India’s per capita GHG Emissions below the World Average of 6.3 tCO2e: UNEP report|
|9||RBI lifts ban on new branches by Tamilnad Mercantile Bank; Dhanlaxmi Bank under Monitoring|
|10||IRDAI Sets up Consultative Committee to Increase Health Insurance Penetration in India|
|11||IRDAI Establishes 24-Member Panel to Develop Rural Insurance Cover; Headed by Thomas M. Devasia|
|12||NAREDCO Sets up NFC to Support Large-Scale Developers with Funds|
|13||Hyderabadi Haleem Wins the ‘Most Popular GI’ Award in Food Category|
|14||SS Rajamouli’s RRR wins Best International Film at Saturn Awards 2022|
|15||Emami signs Akshay Kumar as brand ambassador for BoroPlus cream.|
|16||KKR Acquires 100% stake in Ness Digital Engineering from TRG|
|17||Indian Scientists Develops 1st Indigenous Overhauser Magnetometer|
|18||SC-URBM: New technology for retrofitting non-earthquake-resistant buildings|
|19||“DELHI UNIVERSITY: Celebrating 100 Glorious Years” by Hardeep S. Puri|
|20||International Animation Day 2022 – October 28|
|21||Global Media and Information Literacy Week 2022 – 24th – 31st October|
|22||Goa Govt to launch a common app for entire taxi industry|