The United Nations(UN)’s Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL)Week is annually observed across the globe to highlight the importance of media and information week The week offers a platform for the stakeholders to review and celebrate the progress achieved towards Media and information literacy for all.
- 24th to 31st October 2022 marks the observance of the 11th Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Week.
- The Global MIL week 2022 is hosted by Nigeria.
The theme of Global MIL Week 2022 is “Nurturing trust – A Media and Information Literacy Imperative”.
- The Global MIL Week 2022 focuses on trust and solidarity as it relates to people, media, digital platforms, governments, private sector, and non-governmental organizations.
Objectives of Global MIL Week:
- Increase Media and Information Literacy (MIL) awareness around the world;
- Promote diversity, pluralism, intercultural dialogue and equality;
- Promote international cooperation on MIL;
- Create a constructive spaces for knowledge sharing, research and debate;
- Launch new projects.
i.In 2011, the First International Forum on Media and Information Literacy came up
with the Fez Declaration on MIL and dedicated a week as World Media and Information Literacy Week to be celebrated on 15 to 21st June every year.
ii.Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Week was initiated in 2012 and led by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in cooperation with UNESCO Media and Information Literacy Alliance, the UNESCO-UNAOC(United Nation Alliance of Civilizations) Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue (MILID) University Network, and other.
iii.In 2019, the UNESCO General Conference Proclamation decided to proclaim Global MIL Week to be observed from 24th to 31st October every year.
iv.On 25th March 2021, The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/75/267 and proclaimed 24th to 31st October of every year as Global Media and Information Literacy Week.
The observance of Global MIL Week 2022 includes the 12th Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue Conference and the seventh Youth Agenda Forum.
The Youth forum takes place from 24th to the 31st of October 2022 in Abuja, Nigeria and online.
The forum is focused on the topic of “Media and Information Literate Youth Engaging in Nurturing Trust and Solidarity”.
4th Global MIL Youth Hackathon:
The Global Media and Information Literacy Youth Hackathon is an occasion for young people and youth organizations around the world to participate in the creation of innovative MIL learning in meaningful ways.
The 4th Global MIL Youth Hackathon will take place during the Global MIL Week 2022.
UNESCO MIL Alliance:
The UNESCO MIL Alliance, formerly known as Global Alliance for Partnerships on Media and Information Literacy (GAPMIL), aims to promote international cooperation to ensure that everyone have access to media and information competencies.
Global MIL Awards:
The Global MIL Awards recognises the information/library, media and technology specialists, educators, artists, activists, researchers, policymakers, NGOs, associations and other groups integrating MIL in an innovative way in their work & related activities.
- The award recognises excellence in 6 sectors: Education, Research, Policy, Advocacy, Media and Communication, and Information sectors.
- GAPMIL awarded the 1st edition of the International Media and Information Literacy Awards(Global MIL Awards) in 2015.
- The Award is supported by UNESCO and UNAOC.