Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Government gives nod to “sign language research centre”
- ADB trimmed India’s growth forecast to 7.4% for 2015-16
- India falls to 155th place in UN’s broadband penetration ranking
- Health ministry releases National Health Profile-2015
- “Make in India version 2.0” to boost manufacturing
Union Cabinet gives nod to amend MoU on Indo-German Partnerships in Higher Education
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, gave its approval for signing of Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) between India and Germany for minor amendments in the earlier MoU for facilitating implementation of the programme “Indo-German Partnerships in Higher Education”.
- By signing the JDI, the term “Strategic” will be deleted from the title of the programme to make it “Indo-German Partnership in Higher Education” and the funding period for the programme will be changed from 2015-19 to 2016-20 (from 1st July 2016 to 30th June, 2020).
- The strengthened education relationship through this Joint Declaration of Intent will enable the higher education institutions in both the countries to benefit mutually to enhance innovative partnerships in the field of education, research and skill development. It will be beneficial for faculty development and to foster advanced research in the identified priority areas of challenges for India.
Marathi film ‘Court’ is India’s entry to Oscars 2016
- The Marathi film ‘Court’ was selected as India’s official entry to the 88th Academy Awards, 2016.
- It will be sent in the Best Foreign Film Category.
- The movie was directed by debutant Chaitanya Tamhane.
- The film already won a National Award for Best Feature Film in 2014.
- The movie revolves around the proceedings of a lower court and its surrounding drama.
India to invest Rs 1, 00,000 crore in Iran
- Iran has offered to supply natural gas at $2.95 per mmbtu for a urea plant that India will set up at Chabahar port on the Persian Gulf. But India is negotiating the gas price at $1.5 per mmbtu.
- India will invest Rs 1, 00,000 crore totally in this projects. Union Minister for Road Transport and Shipping Nitin Gadkari said, various ministries will give their report by September 28, and a final decision will be taken based on that reports.
- Union Ministry for Road Transport and Shipping has also received proposals from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka for setting up ports.
Banking & Finance
SEBI’S Highest Ever Penalty – PACL, Fined with a Record Rs 7,269 Crore
- The SEBI has slapped its highest ever fine of 7,269 crore, on PACL and its directors.
- The reason is for failing to register the company’s collective investment scheme (CIS).
- The CIS took thousands of crores from small investors.
- PACL, formerly Pearl Agrotech Corporation, is in the business of realty and land development.
Lycos ties up with Apollo International to start E-commerce venture
- Lycos and Apollo International Ltd have signed an agreement to launch a joint venture (JV) that will provide B2B e-commerce marketplace for industrial goods and luxury brands.
- This venture will be called Apollo Lycos Netcommerce. The joint venture Apollo Lycos Netcommerce will design, develop and also fulfill E-commerce for brands online.
- Apollo International Ltd Chairman and MD Raaja Kanwar said, this initiative will provide a unique digital shopping experience to Indian consumers, where they can interact directly with global brands.
- Chairman & CEO of Lycos – Suresh Reddy.
Uninor renamed as Telenor India
- Telecom operator, Uninor renamed as Telenor, the name of its parent company and expands call drop refund plan. Telenor will provide compensation for call drops to all calls – local, STD and ISD made from its network.
- It has also changed its tagline from ‘Sabse Sasta’ to ‘Ab life full paisa vasool’
- Earlier of this month, the company had changed the name of the company from Telewings Communications Services to Telenor (India) Communications.
- Telenor India operates in six circles of the country namely Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh East and West. Telenor has secured fourth rank in revenue and also in customer market share.
- Telenor India CEO – Vivek Sood
Zayn Khan elected as President of FMSCI
- Zayn Khan elected as the President of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI). He will succeed R Bharath Raj, who passed away while serving as President.
- Khan Zayn represents the Western India Automobile Association. He has contributed a lot for the technical side of the sport in the country.
- The Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) is recognized by the National Sports Federation (NSF) by the Government of India for the promotion and governance of motorsports in India.
Stuti Narain Kacker appointed NCPCR chairperson
- A 1978 batch IAS officer, Stuti Narain Kacker, on 23 September 2015 was appointed as the head of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR). She was appointed by the Union Women and Child Development Ministry.
- Kacker is a former Secretary at the Department of Disability Affairs in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. She looked after the management committee of the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA).
- Before the appointment of Kacker, the panel had remained headless for almost a year. The position was vacant from October 2014 when former UPA appointee Kushal Singh’s tenure ended. Recently, the Supreme Court even commented over a long delay in appointing a chairperson for the panel.
Yudhvir Singh Malik appointed as Additional Secretary, NITI Aayog
- Yudhvir Singh Malik, a 1983 batch IAS officer (Haryana), appointed as Additional Secretary in NITI Aayog
- He moved from the current post of Chief Executive Officer, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and appointed as Additional Secretary in NITI Aayog.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Yudhvir Singh Malik which is headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- FSSCI has banned Maggi noodles of the global giant Nestle during his tenure. He was appointed as CEO of FSSAI in last year only.
- The ACC has also approved the appointments of Kavita Gupta as Textile Commissioner and and Kiran Soni Gupta Additional Secretary and Financial Adviser in Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Science & Technology
Microsoft launches Office 2016 with “Collaborative” software
- Microsoft launches Office 2016 with “Collaborative”, new office software provides real-time collaboration on documents.
- Real-time collaboration allows two or more people to collaborate in real-time on a Microsoft Word document and complete their task. And users can also access video or audio calls during collaboration.
- Microsoft Office 2016 is available in 40 languages.
- Microsoft Office 2016 for Home and Students version – Rs 5,999
- Microsoft Office 2016 for Home and Business – Rs 18,499.
- Microsoft Office 2016 for Business Standard version – Rs 24,844
- Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus – Rs 33,911.
New York Yankees icon Lawrence Peter Yogi Berra passes away
- Lawrence Peter Yogi Berra, 90-year old an American professional baseball catcher was passed away.
- Yogi Berra, New York Yankees icon and Hall of Fame catcher achieved an 18 time All- Star and 10 time World Series champion as a player.
- Yogi Berra was also served as the Manager and Coach of the Yankees. His Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center located on the campus of Montclair State University in New Jersey.