The union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the setting up of an Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) as a society.
To help the five million deaf people of the country and provide the hearing-impaired an increased accessibility in education, workplace and other activities in public life.
- It will set up under the Societies Registration Act, 1860
- It will be initially located at the Institute for Physically Handicapped in New Delhi
- The ISLRTC will be under the aegis of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Society will consist of a President and 12 members in the general council.
- There will be an Executive Council consisting of a chairperson and 9 members
- Some members will be ex-officio and others will be experts from national level organisations of the deaf or universities or academic institutions and independent experts in Indian Sign Language (ISL).
- The development of sign language interpreters, research and development and new technology will be the focus area of the Centre (ISLRTC).
- It will provide equal opportunities to hearing impaired persons to fully participate in every sphere of life.The Centre will lead the way in academic development, training and propagation of the Indian Sign Language.